Pittsburg, KS Review

First off, let me apologize for not reviewing the first 3 corps of the night: Pioneer, Cascades, and Spirit... I was in the lot watching drumlines as late as I could without missing too much of the show, so I only was able to catch the last 3 corps.

Madison Scouts - 78.35 - I had my doubts about this show going in, but I was very much proven wrong! Wow, the corps has certainly come a long way! Very well recieved by the crowd tonight, though the youth of the corps did show itself. The 2nd half of the show had quite a few ensemble tears throughout, but these are fixable problems. Drumline was pretty solid throughout the whole show, but the writing left much to be desired... pretty easy book all around. Overall this show still has some great moments. The opening drill got a very big response from the crowd, as well as the ending... very cool, very Madison. The future looks bright for this corps, and I think even with the staff changes, the tradition is still very much there. Bravo, guys (but please get better uni's next year! :) )

Blue Devils - 92.75 - The opener has championship written all over it. The rest of the show... mehhh. I really wanted to be able to get into the whole program, but I found my self spacing out just like I did during the webcasts. The opener though, wow... AWESOME! I'll be honest, I thought rehashing the space chords thing was a cop-out at first (and honestly it still feels kind of "shoved-in" just for kicks) but WHO CARES! This is the best part of the show, hands down... The rest leaves much to be desired, however. I really don't see how this show is putting up the numbers that it is. I mean it's clean as ####, but the GE just isn't there. Last year at this show, The Cavaliers were in the same position as BD this year, being the frontrunner scorewise. After the green team performed I knew they'd be champions in August. I didn't get that feeling from BD tonight. It just doesn't scream championship... if the whole show was as good as the opener, there would be no doubt, but it just isn't, unfortunately. If this program wins (without some MAJOR changes) in Cali, I will have some serious doubts about the judging in DCI. Please, don't make this a 50th anniversary gift if it's not worthy.

Bluecoats - 90.60 - Wow! This show is just amazing. By far the crowd favorite of the night. There was a collective gasp when Bluecoats were announced in second, as everyone was certain they had won. Honestly I have no idea how BD is beating this corps, they are that good! The timing throughout is spot on, although tonight there was one very noticable ensemble tear very early in the show which was disappointing. Other than that though, these guys (and gals) had the crowd energized. At the end of the ballad, a guy in the pit sort of whispers "I'll be watching you..." which got a big laugh... very cool! Drumline was smokin' as usual. The Cadets should take notes from this corps on how to use "narration" (although I don't consider what the Bluecoats do to be narration, but more just "amplified voice"). It flows seamlessly into the show and is never a distraction. I don't know much else to say except I LOVE THIS CORPS AND THIS SHOW!

Great show tonight, and great weather! Once the sun went down I believe it was in the mid to upper 80's which is a far cry from last years 100+!!!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for writing such a nice review.

JW

Thanks for taking the time to offer a review, but I gotta disagree with your take on Blue Devils.

I don't agree that they have half a great show..I think the ENTIRE show is the best thing on the field this year, both in terms of execution and entertainment. I can see how they are putting up the numbers they do. Are they less technically proficient in brass or percussion? It can certainly be argued when judged against Bluecoats, The Cadets, etc.

However, their entire show has staging that I feel all the other shows lack, whether it be musically or visually.

Make no mistake, Bluecoats are very enjoyable to me, but their use of voice (with the exception of the silent drill portion) has the same general effect on my enjoyment of their show as The Cadets. At San Antonio, they tried talking while the corps was playing, which made me unable to fully hear one or the other. And to me, their show sounds very disjointed in its musical development. It's good, but not great to me.

I do not feel like the Blue Devils are being handed anything due to their 50th anniversary, nor do I think it should be perceived as such if they do win. I believe they are bustin' it to TAKE the title, not have it handed to them like they didn't earn it. In my mind, based on what I have seen to this point, I will greatly question the judging if the Blue Devils DON'T win in Pasadena. In my mind, there is nothing better than what they are putting out.

First off, let me apologize for not reviewing the first 3 corps of the night: Pioneer, Cascades, and Spirit... I was in the lot watching drumlines as late as I could without missing too much of the show, so I only was able to catch the last 3 corps.

then dont bother writing the review

:worthy:

At least he didn't advertise it as a "comprehensive" review. :P

Seriously, the review was fine. No need to get all uppity that some corps weren't included. Don't take it so seriously. He even apologized in advance.

I marched in a corps that always went on first and its insulting.

well i'd rather watch cadets drumline play 4 on a hand and bd blow space cords than see the product you have been working on all summer. like i said before "FANS" disgust me.

I marched in a corps that always went on first and its insulting.

well i'd rather watch cadets drumline play 4 on a hand and bd blow space cords than see the product you have been working on all summer. like i said before "FANS" disgust me.

Well, painting everyone with the same brush isn't helping your cause. We all have our reasons for attending these shows, and lumping all "fans" into one distasteful group because of the behavior of some is more than silly. And useless. And inappropriate.

But by all means, you have chosen to be insulted and disgusted, so enjoy yourself with that. Have a great day. :)

Sorry man, but I'm a drummer and I go to DCI shows not only to see great performance on the field, but also in the lot by the drumlines. I realize that means I many times have to miss the first 2 or 3 performances, but its worth it to me to be able to see lines like the Blue Devils, Cavies, Bluecoats, etc. up close and personal.

Again, sorry for writing a partial review, but I see people do it on here all the time, for the same reasons I have given.

:P

As the mom of a performer, I really appreciate this and all reviews! Keep 'em coming!

bluebarimom