Indianapolis, IN - July 28, 2007

Dear Indiana,

Before I begin my review of the show in your capital city, I must ask you to please add some life and maybe a town or two along I-65. I'm not sure the three-hour-drive-that-feels-more-like-nine is something I'm going to really be able to do more than once over the next ten years.

Also, please build more hotels and staff them with people who do not have 4ft high crimped hair or wear cutoffs.

Thank you.

Uncle Z and I took off from Chicago around 2:30 to head down to Indianapolis for our finals show of the season. Cookies and a cooler full of goodies in tow, we soon were bleary eyed and disenchanted with the entire state of Indiana.. Basically, if it ain't McDonald's, Burger King, Arby's, KFC or Bob Evans, you ain't eatin, son.

uncle z: "random indianite: 'HEY! We got Cracker Barrel, too! And Steak and Shake!'"

Yeah.. we're gonna try and keep this as low on the anti-indiana rhetoric as we can but honestly, we couldn't wait to get out and at 2:30 in the morning, there wasn't a SINGLE HOTEL ROOM ANYWHERE between Indy and Crown Point -- and at that point, we might just as well have driven all the way home and not bothered with stopping in every pissant little burgh along the way to have them tell us, "there's a rest stop a little way up the road.." um.. yeah. no.

When we finally got to Indianapolis, getting to the stadium was relatively easy -- we found great parking about a block away in a covered lot for the mall nearby ($3 baby! It's good to have friends from indianapolis who give you the scoop).. the only problem was getting TO the stadium. Apparently, there was also a baseball game going on about 4 blocks from the dome and only one indianapolis police officer was there to direct traffic on all of the downtown streets. Don't the show organizers contact local authorities to advise them that a few thousand people from out of town are about to descend upon them at the same time there's also going to be a local sporting event?

uncle z: "Don't forget the random brickyard 400 fans driving around aimlessly from lane to lane, blocking traffic and picking slim jims out of the space between their four teeth."

ultimately, we found our way to the laser rocket arm dome .. but unfortunately (and disappointingly so for uncle z) not in time to catch Colt Cadets or Capital Sound -- two corps we both wanted to see one last time. I will say that I saw them both the night before in Naperville (from the tunnel I was ushering) and they have both finished the season with fun, well performed entertaining shows. We're both very VERY sorry we missed them. Z even made "the face" when he realized it.

and now for a random monkey

monkeysign.jpg

So we got into the stadium which has seat numbers that follow a numbering logic that only probably makes perfect sense to someone who's had their mind numbed by living here for their whole lives.. and when we finally found our seats, it was just as Pioneer was taking the field. For whatever reason, they made those kids stand there for the DM announcement for the loooonnnnnnggggeeeesssstttt time.. not sure why. Their show was played well but I thought they were a little more than overwhelmed by the dome. Their sound (especially in the pit) sometimes became muddled -- though they didn't appear to have any ensemble issues with the echo -- they just came across muddled to the audience (at least where I was sitting). Much improved and worthy of the score they are getting.

After Pioneer came Southwind a corps that has apparently been honored with the membership of "Daniel" -- Indiana's favorite son. We were in his cheering section and it was actually kind of charming.. except the cheering people all thought it was clever to start their own cheer... one after the other.. after the other.

Folks. Organize. :)

Z and I had missed SW at Cedarburg thanks to the microburst earlier this season.. but I'd seen them the night before and I don't know how else to explain it other than this corps really touches my heart. I don't know why. I watch the show and they are performing well.. and the hornline is spectacular.. and the drum line is great .. and the guard is really good.. and it's about on par with the rest of the corps in their scoring grouping.. but everytime I watch them, I just get a lump in my throat and start tearing up. It's probably hormonal but I just love the show. I get the "let me in the loop" idea but I can't put the concept together any further than someone wanting to fit in.. but then my brain goes into overdrive and I think about how conformity is not always the best thing.. and then I have to stop myself and just listen to the show -- stop analyzing. I love the show. They could walk off the field with the show as it stands right now and I would be satisfied.. I think they'll probably do some cleaning and have a respectable finish in pasadena.

Madison came out next and I haven't seen them since early to mid season. I'd heard about the rewrites and known they were basically starting over with the drill.. I have to say, this show is MUCH better now. I really enjoyed it and found myself downright entertained -- I just think it's a shame they had to spend so long fixing something that didn't have to be as bad as it was. It's a learning experience I suppose but hopefully now they will have some continuity in leadership and staff and that will help them build on the talent in their line. Great show, boys.. i really enjoyed it.

uncle z: "we also saw Jim Dittrich at the souvie booth helping out for the night. it's great to see parents get involved and volunteer on tour, even if it's just to help out for the day. So many of us would rather sit in the stands at rehearsal and watch -- I like Jim's take on it. Every extra hand helps."

Blue Stars was next up. "honey, get me a pair of those shoes." No, honey, you can't have them. you'll wear them in public and embarrass everybody dancing in your fancy half tone shoe. Just no. So, a first read for both of us on this show -- thanks Cedarburg Microburst -- and I liked the ballet thing they have going on.. like they are being pulled from extreme tradition into something more modern.. and I suppose if there has to be a theme, that would do.

Start%20of%20Show.jpg

Is that Sarah Conlin doing all that solo dancing out there? Anybody know? The music they play takes some unexpected turns and the hornline is the strength of the corps this year. I thought the colorguard uniform reminded me a lot of BD's guard uniforms from Romeo/Juliet/West Side Story. I saw Steve Stueck while sitting on the field waiting for scores and he said their show tonight wasn't as good as the previous show. Now where the heck was Butler? I'd say "call me Cozy Jr." but that would be sort of lame. . As you can see, Blue Stars is one of Z's alma maters.. so he's got a lot to say. In all we liked the show. I also thought the uniform's two-tone set up made them look like they are moving with much greater velocity in pass-through drill than they probably are. Great use of color to trick the eye.

Colts came out to a rousing cheer from the upper deck. We figured it was Colt Cadets cheering for their "big brothers/sisters" and it's probably the most heartwearming sound once you know where it's coming from. And that's not to say the rest of the crowd wasn't happy to see them.. we were. Their show is popular, it seems. I've said it so many times and every time I see a Colts staff member I stop them and tell them, too.. I just love this show. The concept, until I saw it live, was unknown to me.. but put the visual with the music they chose and it's a clever combination of unlike things united by a single theme. Brilliant. And the kids pull it off so well. Their guard deserves all the credit in the world as they are probably the best one out there below 3rd place. That plume could be taller. Just kidding.. they already look 10ft tall! even the squatty kids. I can only speak for myself and I REALLY want this corps and this show in finals. It's designed well and performed well. They have all the elements of a great 8th - 12th place show. looking ahead all they need is more constant movement and we may see them begin to creep ahead as well.. Colts could be the next Bluecoats.

INTERMISSION

"What's YOUR Indy?"

While watching the jumbotron between corps tonight, I noticed there was a good deal of pimping all that Indianapolis has to offer.. the slogan "what's YOUR Indy" will be burned into my head for the rest of my life. I wanted to add a few things that were left OFF the "what's cool about Indianapolis" slide show:

The Governor:

150px-Kaplan.JPG

The Roadside Art Collection:

tire-tread-separation.jpg

Fine Dining and State of the Art Accommodations:

stuckey.jpg

... just don't plan on staying. We's all booked up! I guess nobody wants to leave! (WE DID).

**REVIEW BREAK**

Okay sorry for the delay -- Z headed home after lunch and I came back and took a nap.. so for now (until he gets on the thread and makes his comments), you're stuck with just me. I know I know..

After intermission, Spirit was on. Another first read for both Z and I.. and I had reservations about the uniform from the pictures.. I even saw them in standstill (Cedarburg) and still liked them alright.. but after having seen them on the field, I don't like them as much. I don't know why.. and maybe it was our vantage.. but they looked lopsided to me from far away. That said, I like their show a lot. I have no idea what theme they've chosen and I'm not sure it makes much difference other than not really connecting on that additional level for me.. but the music is beautifully played and IMO they have the ballad of the year. It's just breathtakingly beautiful.. I love the staging and the singing at the end just ties it all up in a beautiful bow. I am also fond of the guard's uniforms. I think they did a spectacular job of "man-i-fying" the uniform for the boys while keeping them consistent with the girls. Their performance level, like Southwind's, is about on par with the other corps I've seen in their scoring range. It's hard to peg any one to pull ahead of the others going into Pasadena but none of them would be surprising to find in the lineup on Saturday night.

Boston followed Spirit.. first what I loved. Guard uniforms.. HOLY SCHNEIKES you guys.. they are so classy and gorgeous.. very period -- down to the stockings and in some cases undergarments (which you often catch intentional glimpses of when the girls twirl).. Normally, I would object to the brownification of the guard.. but in this case against the bold red/black of the corps, it is just perfect. We got a chuckle out of the one girl who, while she finished the show completely unfettered, had obviously had a period costume malfunction.. it appeared that her garter belt came un-snapped, causing it and her stockings to fall down around her ankles, ultimately covering her feet making them look sort of like.. well.. flippers. And, God love her, she of course finished the show right off the fifty in the front. I realize some of you are thinking "but what about THE SHOW?" -- well.. I like it well enough but it seems kind of.. cluttered is the best word I can find. I understand why you'd use the easels and the frames but there are an awful lot of them and because they are, visually, so many lines to the eye.. it just seems cluttered to me. Less would be more in this case, I think. 5 or 8 of them.. sure.. 30? Umm.. no. I think the music is well chosen and well performed but the hornline seems bottom heavy.

and now for another, "What's YOUR Indy" moment:

The last thing we saw before the "thud" on the ride home ... Copy%20of%20lilybucket2.gif awwwwww

*obligatory moment of silence*

Interestingly this is where the show seemed to kick into high gear for me.. I remember thinking.. "Oh.. regiment already? Geez this show is going by fast!" For some reason, they did the same thing to Regiment that they'd done to Pioneer earlier.. those kids stood in their opening set for a really really REALLY long time.. unfortunately, they were flapping the whole time. Yes, I said flapping. I imagine if you're just doing it for a short time, it's okay.. but for as long as they had to do it, it started to become a little ridiculous.. and there is a lot of flapping throughout the show now.. it was a little distracting for me.. but I've said it before, I like the show. I am really entertained by it and it's enjoyable. I had seen it again the night before and caught the wedge with kick.. which the crowds loved both nights. I didn't notice the feather headpieces in Naperville. Um. Maybe if they were to be wearing them the whole show, I wouldn't have found them so goofy.. but I thought they were goofy. The black ones were better.. but those colored ones.. not so much. They looked like antennae. Aside from that, like I said, I like the show a lot. I think they need to add a couple of elements to the show in order for them to really have a legitimate chance up against BD and Cavaliers -- though I couldn't begin to tell you what they would be. There's just something that isn't quite there.. To me the show feels more on par with the kind of show Boston has designed than with the kind of show Blue Devils and Cavaliers have designed. I do like the final guard costume, though.

Blue Devils were up next and there was a lot of talk about the incredible opener.. but maybe my expectations were too high. This was my first view of their show and I wasn't crazy about it. To me, I saw a lot of things they've used before -- visual elements on recycle.. wings, ostrich feathers.. The music was good but to me sort of non-descript. It did sound like BD.. louder and higher.. and I love the bravado with which they perform.. nobody else really has that anymore so from them.. while I expect it, it's refreshing. The extended drum solo is great, too.. though a little gimmicky *BUT WHO CARES*.. I was trying not to notice it too much.. but after an earlier season conversation with a very good friend I realize that when you see something you don't like happening over and over, it becomes more of a distraction the longer it goes on. Here it is.. prepare yourselves. Blue Devils Stand Still Too Much. I know about 50 people are going to come in here and disagree with me but I noticed it early in the show.. they were in a formation.. and just blowing our faces off.. and I expected a halt for a few counts.. but then they stayed. And Stayed.. AND STAYED.. from that point, I noticed that happens a lot throughout the show. When they move, they're clean.. but they aren't moving as much as I expected they were going to based on what I've read here. I do think it'll be an interesting end of the season.

Cavaliers came on last and I know you all know I love this show so I won't bore you with how incredible I thought the guard was and how much I think they've improved. I will make the haters happy by telling you about the gigantic ensemble tear they had in the second tune (yes even the Cavaliers have tears.. and in late season, too!).. but it happened.. and they recovered quickly and beautifully and within a few bars, they seemed entirely unphased by it.. the performance ended with high intensity and energy.. the guard was on fire.. We talked to all our kids after the show. The basses were excited to see us and even MORE excited when we told them in addition to the promised cookie refill, they had a cooler full of other treats waiting for them as well.. Their little faces just lit right up.. Some of the goodies had to be given to Mary, the head cook, for safe keeping until Jeff tells them they can have it.. but Spotted Cow keeps well and it'll only be a couple of weeks.. :) We also saw Nathan, our tuba kid, and found out he had heard Z yell "GO THAT GUY" before the show and he'd heard us call his name while they were marching off after encore, too.. he laughed at the faces we said he made. We said goodbye to them in the parking lot outside the capital and wished them well on the rest of tour. They had to head up to Chicago for the Rosemont picnic and a well deserved free afternoon. We'll see how things go.

That's it. Z will undoubtedly be adding comments and pictures soon. Thanks for reading!

*edit to make the Z comments easier to read*

Edited by ScribeToo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome review and I can appreciate your Indiana woes. Living in NYC I have visited a friend from Chicago and traveled that road to get to Dayton for WGI.

One year we got stopped by some redneck Indiana cop who called us fancy boys-fun, for driving 5 miles over the speed limit. I guess they must be bored there and who can blame them? Needless to say, Indiana is not on my list of states to venture out and "explore".

I did like the Bob Evans biscuits and gravy. We don't have them out here and they are pretty good-if you forget that it probably took a couple of years off your life eating that heart attack.

I don't like to dis other states (I grew up in West Virginia...heard enough of that all my life) and Indy does have it's plusses, but I have a story about Indy night that will astound all:

When the Colts were trooping to the RCA Dome, they had to cross busy streets, as did all the corps. The lights changed to green when about 1/2 the corps was across. Obviously, traffic would not expect to drive through them....or one would think. Apparently a car full of young men began yelling that the light had turned green and they should get out of their way, and actually inched their way up to the corps, striking a trumpet player. Who came to the rescue but a Colts staff member......but no police or traffic cops in sight. A DCI guy was there, but all he had to offer was a "now, that's not cool" statement. The guys got out of the car expecting a fight, but backed off when they realized they were massively outnumbered. I couldn't believe this happened.......would they have run over the Indianapolis Colts foootball team had they been crossing the street en mass? I don't think so. If Indy is going to host finals for the next several years, I do hope they get some support from the city and hire extra traffic cops and police to safegaurd these kids. It was bad enoulgh thay the buses had to park so far away........but this action was intolerable. A few bad apples will spoil the lot. Toss 'em.

I don't like to dis other states (I grew up in West Virginia...heard enough of that all my life) and Indy does have it's plusses, but I have a story about Indy night that will astound all:

When the Colts were trooping to the RCA Dome, they had to cross busy streets, as did all the corps. The lights changed to green when about 1/2 the corps was across. Obviously, traffic would not expect to drive through them....or one would think. Apparently a car full of young men began yelling that the light had turned green and they should get out of their way, and actually inched their way up to the corps, striking a trumpet player. Who came to the rescue but a Colts staff member......but no police or traffic cops in sight. A DCI guy was there, but all he had to offer was a "now, that's not cool" statement. The guys got out of the car expecting a fight, but backed off when they realized they were massively outnumbered. I couldn't believe this happened.......would they have run over the Indianapolis Colts foootball team had they been crossing the street en mass? I don't think so. If Indy is going to host finals for the next several years, I do hope they get some support from the city and hire extra traffic cops and police to safegaurd these kids. It was bad enoulgh thay the buses had to park so far away........but this action was intolerable. A few bad apples will spoil the lot. Toss 'em.

I don't care what corps, what organization, or what person is crossing the street. This story makes me sick. Good thing those morons decided to back off or they would have gotten their clocks cleaned.

There are plenty of good places to eat in Indianapolis.

Ruth's Chris steakhouse

St. Elmo's steakhouse

RAM brewery

Rock Bottom

Just to name a few.......

In other words, more expensive versions of the OTHER national chains; Steak N Shake, McDonalds, Hardee's, etc... ^0^

In other words, more expensive versions of the OTHER national chains; Steak N Shake, McDonalds, Hardee's, etc... ^0^

so I guess you eat at Charlie Trotter's or Everest every night. And grocery shop only at Fox and Ebel. :beer:

St. Elmo's steakhouse is NOT a chain. doh.