"Keeping The Memory"

come hell or high water we'll be there. :doh:-

dark blue Jeep with CT lighthouse plates & a Hurcs sticker.

if i can't find you, you know how to find us. :)

Ok, I'll look for ya! But, I must admit... as the years go by, it gets harder and harder for me to find those Easter eggs - even the ones I hide myself. LOL

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You took some really great shots here!!! Too bad we're not soprano soloists or drummers. Us "Contrablasters" will take what pictures we can get!!! I actually got to see myself!!! :D Thanks for sharing!!

Thanx!

Hey, did you see where I was sitting? Did you look at them in their larger size?

Right on top of the pic. are the words *All Sizes*, click on that and it will enlarge the pic for you. Hope this helps.

Say hi to me in Kingston.... then I'll know who to Zoom in on!

(Note to self: Get Contra shots in Kingston!)

For the last time: i AM standing.

See ya Sat. !

I hear someone yapping but I can't see her! :P

Actually, I probably won't be in Kingston Saturday, but stranger things have happened.

Thanx!

Hey, did you see where I was sitting? Did you look at them in their larger size?

Right on top of the pic. are the words *All Sizes*, click on that and it will enlarge the pic for you. Hope this helps.

Say hi to me in Kingston.... then I'll know who to Zoom in on!

(Note to self: Get Contra shots in Kingston!)

Yes, I looked at the larger sized pics & that's how I was able to spot meeself! WHOA!!!!!!!! You mean like "Ponzo type poster pics"!!! WOW!!! :doh: In case I don't find you before we start, I'm just left of the 50 yard line way in the back near the guy on the ladder. I can't say just look for the big horn, as they're all big!! :doh:

BTW - Check this out!! http://www.myspace.com/cabscontrablaster

Ok, folks I'm done with the pictures. Glad you enjoyed them!

My mother is never gonna give me any peace if I don't post some gripes that we had about the show. That said... some of the things I'm about to type below, were from me, my Mother (who's been around Drum Corps since 1944-45 season) and many others that either sat near us or we spoke with at the show.

We realize this was a first time Alumni show here. It was not a first time *show* here. Safe to assume that people running / putting this show on know something about Drum Corps, right? Something about how to pull off an event somewhat successfully, right? Well, after getting the lineup of Corps to agree to participate and setting up rehearsal spots.... (Oh yeah, rehearsal spots.... how could you *not* know that there were games scheduled to be played the day of the show in the same venue? )

Anyway....... This show seemed to forget one of the most important parts of running / planning / having a show:

Advertising! Advertising! Advertising! And more Advertising! You can not advertise an event too much. IMO.

There is no reason in the world for the very small crowd turn out that there was for such a great entertainment packed evening. Here's a pic of the crowd standing for the National Anthem. http://tinyurl.com/27flk5

And it didn't get much better at all... until the Corps performers started coming back in, after they performed, to watch the rest of the show. Thankfully, that helped fill the stands. We felt so bad for the Corps that traveled to entertain a crowd.... only to see a ton of empty bleachers. What a shame / letdown. Our $18 seats - http://tinyurl.com/yu8dzx There's only one reason that we *didn't* mind spending that price for those seats. The Corps!

The only reason *I* knew about the show was because it was sent in to CorpsReps and my *other half* does work on CorpsReps. So he sent me a copy of the show info. (I always forget that they have a schedule listed.) So, I then copied the show announcement and emailed it to a bunch of people, and posted it on 3 or 4 different newsgroups / forums. I did what I could.

We hadn't been there in a while so I did some mapping and we had a lil over 2hr drive to the show. I asked a friend where Cabs were rehearsing and they said at the show field from noon to 4pm. We drove in off of I-87, (3 exits that could have gotten us to our destination - 3 great opportunities/ locations for Drum Corps Show signs - none seen.) drove around town area a bit and made a few quick stops to buy a few things - still no signs anywhere. Get to show site and look around for Cabs...shrug. Lets go get tickets. At the ticket window, there is a sign that they were raffling off tickets for the Drum Corps Show during the baseball game. Get tickets and ask where Cabs are. The gentleman tells us that they forgot that there were games today so they had to move Cabs down to this school about 5-6 miles down the street. And they have to be done by 2pm . So that Scout House can use the field from 2 til 4. Cabs moved over to another grassy field at the school....... but, still no Preston. Their buses never pulled in till a few mins before 5pm. I was relieved to see them pull in.... we were praying that they hadn't been in an accident.

We head back to the stadium. A block before the stadium - I spot a *Corps Parking* sign. We stopped for an ice cream and met a couple that came in from Buffalo, they only knew about it because they have two friends that were marching in one of the Corps. We pay our $2 dollars and park. Going in - we buy a $2 program book (we collect them). Just inside, we see folks and start chatting a bit before show time.... only to be told that I have black on my face. I go to look in the bathroom, put the program book under my arm and clean my face. Only to find black on my arm and clothing later. Yes, it was all from the program. Later, we found out that we weren't the only ones that had these very ink issues.

When the National Anthem is being played - please stand, no talking, face the flag, remove headwear, perhaps hand over heart, salute....etc. = show of respect.

As seen in the pics above there were two sets of bleachers positioned in a *V*, we were in the point of the *V* - furthest distance from the Corps performing. These were open, wooden and metal bleachers (not that it should matter). But, when your Corps gets done performing and you want to *bring it in* for a few words - please don't do it right behind the stands and please don't reprimand so loud in public. Our whole section was trying to get your attention to make you either be quiet or to move away. One girl and one boy looked up and quickly looked away from us. Thank God I wasn't taping - all I would have heard was a bunch of chatter and laughter among your Corps and a DM saying she doesn't recall dismissing anyone.....etc, etc. All that was bad enough, but, then you leave *with* a drumbeat. This was poor etiquette and left a bad impression in many peoples' minds (they were still talking about it after the show). It wasn't just rude to the paying public... but, to the Corps performing on the field at the time. Although some want me to mention the Corps' name... I don't think that's necessary. You know who you are and I hope you take this information and use it to better your organization for future public appearances. Teach pride in the uniform you're in and represent that pride as a unit with respect to yourselves and your surroundings. As all Corps should. Nuff said.

Moving right along. Mom and I had a great time and throughly enjoyed every Corps! I tried to thank as many Corpsmen as I could, both for making the trip and for their great performances! And they were all great for many reasons. Each Corps bringing in their own identity, sound, style and flooding the memory banks....Ahhhhhhhhh

The more I think about it... the more I think that this is a great time to have an Alumni show. Cabs participate more than most Alumni Corps. They probably practice more too. They are always great and always well received. But, for most, if not all of the others at this show - this isn't too close to DCA but close enough for some exposure with enough time to work on any kinks they may feel need some fine tuning prior to DCA weekend. Aside from DCA weekend, I basically only ever see Sky or Cabs Alumni all year. So, it was a real pleasure to see all these other Corps too! We've been lucky enough to make the Harrisburg show again lately too. I vote for more Alumni shows!! Pure fun and entertainment through and through!

We really can't thank you all enough for all your time, money & effort to travel here and perform for / entertain us. And again... sorry for the small turnout. Those that were there seemed to really appreciate! Someone must have taken a bit of a beating moneywise here. If they have this show next year, please do tons more advertising! I know I keep repeating that but, that's a small venue it could & should have been filled. Sad really.

I can't believe that DCA weekend is almost here... and yet, I can't wait to see / hear you all again! I want it to hurry up but I don't want it to be over. I can't win. lol

In all of this madness called Drum Corps - The Alumni Corps are my fav., they hold my heart!

And the small but happy crowd........meandered off to their cars singing a myriad of tunes from that show.........

Hi Nancy,

I was glad to see your photos. No need to apologize, even if some of your pictures didn't come out as you would have liked. We appreciate your efforts.

Art Kellerman

Crusaders Senior Corps Vice President

As seen in the pics above there were two sets of bleachers positioned in a *V*, we were in the point of the *V* - furthest distance from the Corps performing. These were open, wooden and metal bleachers (not that it should matter). But, when your Corps gets done performing and you want to *bring it in* for a few words - please don't do it right behind the stands and please don't reprimand so loud in public. Our whole section was trying to get your attention to make you either be quiet or to move away. One girl and one boy looked up and quickly looked away from us. Thank God I wasn't taping - all I would have heard was a bunch of chatter and laughter among your Corps and a DM saying she doesn't recall dismissing anyone.....etc, etc. All that was bad enough, but, then you leave *with* a drumbeat. This was poor etiquette and left a bad impression in many peoples' minds (they were still talking about it after the show). It wasn't just rude to the paying public... but, to the Corps performing on the field at the time. Although some want me to mention the Corps' name... I don't think that's necessary. You know who you are and I hope you take this information and use it to better your organization for future public appearances. Teach pride in the uniform you're in and represent that pride as a unit with respect to yourselves and your surroundings. As all Corps should. Nuff said.

We were not even that close and heard them at it down there. Some of the local fans were pretty embarrassed at this and some other things involving this corps. I was actually embarrassed for the members of the corps that they would have this going on where fans could hear it. I hope that they learn not to do this if they are going to start going out to other shows.

We enjoyed seeing all the corps but it is dissappointing that more fans did not turn out. I hope that the show and all of these corps come back next year. Thanks to all the people that put on the show.

Thanks for the pics, Nanci........ it gives those of us who couldn't be there a front-row seat!

Fran