Cadets' narration....thoughts

84BDSop- I would like to see you, or someone, be more specific about which parts of the narration don't work. Hopkins asked you a direct question...I, for one, am really interested to see your response in this debate.

He did, in the first post. maybe everyone, hopkins included, should go reread if they can't figure out what he doesn't like about the narration. :lol: <**>

1: he finds it, at least in this quantity and style, distracting from the performance as a whole.

(this could mean that the narration is not integrated well enough into the performance, or that there is too much to integrate at all)

most of the rest are sub-reasons of this- the narration is sermon-like, incessant, unneeded, has overtones he doesn't approve of/finds even MORE distracting.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I really like their show this year. I don't feel like it is offensive or anything. I'm starting to think I am in the minority.

Man, I really like their show this year. I don't feel like it is offensive or anything. I'm starting to think I am in the minority.

No, I love it too. I think the narration's great.

I would respectfully disagree.

Bluecoats is by far the best example so far of using narration.

Crown and Pacific Crest are the current worst examples.

Cadets...I just don't know what to think. The whole show could not function without it...but for me...it's still too much talking. Too BOA. Too not drum corps. If this is trendsetting than I don't like the direction of the trend.

Again, you have in essence professional quality musicians, designers, etc. I mean Blast! proves that drum corps students have what it takes to be professionals hands down. The narration in the Cadets show is frankly not being performed in the most professional manner. Again, my opinion. But, I believe many who do not sip on George's koolaid wagon feel the same way.

Ouch, you think Crown's is the worst example this season? I haven't heard it yet, but I can't see it being worse than Emo Kid in the Cadets' show.

Maybe you are talking about another season though...

Hey, this is exactly our marching band show this year...too the teeeee!!!

Excellent! :)

This was a project that I wanted to do back in mid-90's. I had actually mapped quite a lot of it out with the people I was collaborating with most for drill and guard (actually my roommates at the time :)). I tried for a couple of years to get some of the groups we were working with to use it, but it was a bit too out there for most.

My friends that I was working with are both now still working with top 6 corps, writing for other corps, loads of bands, winterguard, winter percussion etc. So, maybe they're doing something with a lot of our old concepts. If not, I guess there is no such thing as a new idea. :)

I saw the irony as well, Jon....but I don't remember any of the Xmen lines going on for as long as the Cadet ones....it was like a series of short pokes with a stick instead of a series of long slices with a knife.

While I disagree - that is pretty darn funny! :lol:

He did, in the first post. maybe everyone, hopkins included, should go reread if they can't figure out what he doesn't like about the narration. :lol: <**>

1: he finds it, at least in this quantity and style, distracting from the performance as a whole.

(this could mean that the narration is not integrated well enough into the performance, or that there is too much to integrate at all)

most of the rest are sub-reasons of this- the narration is sermon-like, incessant, unneeded, has overtones he doesn't approve of/finds even MORE distracting.

Man....you go take a nap and three pages of posts hits (if if some of it IS 2 people sniping at each other...knock it off, you two)

"Comeon" pretty much explained it for me (thanks, btw)...I DID try to put my thoughts down in teh OP. It's not that specific text is bothering me...it's the overall concept and OVER usage. The execution of the narration is spot on....no argument with the DELIVERY of the product -- some pretty decent acting going on.

Danray....I agree with you in some ways....every time something new comes out (especially by the top dogs) it gets overused for a couple of years until it settles down. Body motion following 93 Star is a good example. There's still a LOT of in in some places (Cavaliers and Blue Knights), but it's not oppressive the way Cadets' narration is.

When I heard there was going to be narration, I thought I wouldn't like their show. I watched the videos from Atlanta and really liked it. Not a bunch of props or anything. I did not like '05's speaking, honestly.

However, this year's show is exactly right. The 'explanation' of a musician's (read bandnerd's) feelings/choices was magnificent. The 'inside joke' of running rehearsals was brilliant. My only complaint is that the show's ending isn't powerful enough. Tack the '83 closing minute on and you'll have it all.