A Word From the OTHER Competition...

Why is it's DCI's job. They don't want anything to do with II/III other than providing these corps "occassional" performance opportunities. 90% of which are before the sun sets and the parking lots are filled with drum line gawkers.

The problem is that BY DESIGN...it's no one's job to promote II/III. And as is it will die a painful slow and agonizing death.

And still people shoot the messenger when they don't like the message.

We get it Tom. Doom! Gloom! Chaos! Quarter Pounder with Cheese! <$1 to Lee Rudnicki>

Thank you so much Ryan for promoting Div II/III even though Tom is trying to convince everyone to stay away.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's drum corps... just drum corps.

If you like drum corps, then go watch.... because it's drum corps, and nothing more.

Again...I understand...II/III is about the members. I get that. But, you also need to draw a crowd or other revenue sources.

Ask a current II/III director what they get paid per show. That's all I ask. I think it will open a lot of eyes to this issue.

Yes, I agree, they're not getting paid as much. But the Div. II directors that I have talked to love what they're doing. The kids couldn't be having more fun. So what exactly is your problem?

After reading so many of your posts, I didn't really see your point. Would you rather have Div. II die? When someone who really wants to be in the activity doesn't get into a Div. 1 corps would you rather they sit at home, away from what they love?

All of the members AND staff love what they are doing. If the directors feel they aren't making enough money, it's their business to complain. Yet for some reason they don't. If they don't have a problem with the money they make, what's yours? Just watch and enjoy the shows, no matter how many people attend.

Edited by thelittleman

Again...I understand...II/III is about the members. I get that. But, you also need to draw a crowd or other revenue sources.

Ask a current II/III director what they get paid per show. That's all I ask. I think it will open a lot of eyes to this issue.

How the hell can you post that much? Just let it go dude.

Let us have our opinions. Just shut up.

You are so wrong.

You seem to know enough to #### and moan, but if you were ever in Div 3 you didn't learn what it's really about. Talk to any kid that sweats their heart out on a Div 3 practice field, and learn.

We all wish it was better attended, etc etc. That will NEVER equate to it being irrelevant. Your brilliant solution is to close it down? If anything is irrelevant here it's your ravings. I'm done with you.

Why is it's DCI's job. They don't want anything to do with II/III other than providing these corps "occassional" performance opportunities. 90% of which are before the sun sets and the parking lots are filled with drum line gawkers.

The problem is that BY DESIGN...it's no one's job to promote II/III. And as is it will die a painful slow and agonizing death.

I'm glad you don't speak for the Division 1 Board of Directors.

Well, if it's NOT DCI's job to promote Division II/III, then why are these corps GOVERNED by DCI ?? :satisfied::rock:

I find that the Division II/III corps have more innovations in their shows than a lot of Division 1 corps.

......and I'm not alone in that way of thinking.!

Edited by ODBC

I agree mostly with Tom's assesment of DIV 2/3, with the exception that I don't think these corps or divs are going anywhere.

DCI needs to:

Have shows with DIV 2/3 corps right along side with the DIV 1.

Let the top X amount of DIV 2/3 advance to Quarters.

Have DIV 2/3 champs perform at finals.

Plaster DIV 2/3 all over the ESPN show, promote this as a way for more members to participate in DCI.

I remember a few years ago the Surf had their home show the same night as DCI East in Allentown. How is that fair to make corps fans decide between these two shows? The DIV 2/3 shows should be treated equally to the DIV 1 corps. So they may get less show money, go on early or not tour as much....but in my opinion DIV 2/3 could be the FUTURE of DCI (corps growing and going DIV 1, number of corps increasing, membership #s increasing) if treated properly and nutured by DCI.

We get it Tom. Doom! Gloom! Chaos! Quarter Pounder with Cheese! <$1 to Lee Rudnicki>

Thank you so much Ryan for promoting Div II/III even though Tom is trying to convince everyone to stay away.

I've barely read thru this but I can already tell that your statement is very flawed.

The point, as I gather, that Tom is trying to make is that Div II/III isn't getting the kind of publicity it needs because... there's not a real marketing department for it. DCI at the moment is overworked getting everything out there and ready just for 3 days of Q/S/F not to mention the regionals they had before. I think the point is that they NEED to get on a good staff to work on getting the word out BETTER and making Div II/III appealing to people as they have with Div I.

KNIGHTIME!

We are watching.

I'll be brutally honest. Last year, in Madison, with VERY few exceptions, I was bored silly at Division II/III. But not this year. Something got into the water supply of these corps, and they are all across the board some of the best Division II/III I have EVER seen. MUSICAL, LOUD, INTENSE...oh yeah...that's what drum corps is!!!

Ryan,

WELL SAID! I certainly wish I could be in Pasadena, but alas I am stuck here in Minny. Next year I will be at all the competitions in Indy!

You said something got into the water. I do have to say that there are two things that have made D2 & D3 more interesting for me personally.

1) Seeing the Academy leap into D1 so successfully. Who would have thought they would be competing for a Finals slot!!!???

2) Two letters: VK!!!

I am definitely going to be there next year!