Lead Sop/Trumpet Players

Sweendoc

Question for all you high note guys and gals out there. What is your prefered mouthpiece? I'm interested in knowing what is the most popular piece for high note stuff?

Thanks... B)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well mostly for screaming the 14a4a has been a popular choice, monett pieces are getting to be pretty popular on the field and off MFII, BL2, etc Kanstul CG3 not really a screamer piece with a tiny cup or what-have-you but was the lead sop mouthpiece of the majority of BD screamers, that has always been a popular choice piece along with marcinkiewiecz mouthpieces.

Honestly, you gonna have to hunt around dude. I'm an odd ball. I'm lead in jazz band and in drum corps, and i use a large mouthpiece. Warburton 2D, slightly bigger than a 3C, You gotta go with what works, most seem to be smaller, but i sound like a duck with small mouthpieces or shallow ones. Deep cups are the way for me, I also have an open shank. But as i said, i'm an oddball. And if you met me you'd agree :P

As I've mentioned before, I play on a Monette Prana MFII. It has allowed me to do things that I have never done before! Not even on my regular MFII. If you haven't played on a Monette before, I wouldn't recommend this mouthpiece. But, once you get acclimated to a Monette, the Prana series is the way to go IMHO. Yes, I know that shelling out $315.00 for a mouthpiece is not an easy thing to do, but it is worth every penny! B)

I've tried or played on just about every brand of mouthpiece out there, and this one is LIGHT YEARS ahead of them all! Again, IMHO. ^0^

I played on a Warburton 4S with a 9* backbore. Nice and open, but with a REALLY soft rim like the Schilke. A lot of the other leads in '96 marched the Dennis Wick Marcinkiwicz (sp?).

I've played on a 13b4 since I was about 5.

Well, I have moved form mouthpiece to mouthpiece trying to find one that suits me for the various types of playing I do and this is what I have used so far.

Everything else that is not lead trumpet:

Bach 1-1/2B, but recently moved to a Warburton 3D with an 11* backbore.

Lead Trumpet "goodness"

Schilke 13A4A (started out on this)

Marcinkewicz Bobby Shew Model 1.25 (played on this when I went to North Texas)

Marcinkewicz Roger Ingram Model (moved to this mouthpiece out of curiosity and liked what this could do)

The Schilke (to me) felt like a 5C rim but with a more rounded rim and a shallower cup. I loved the sound I got off of it. I was going for the early Maynard Ferguson sound. Looking for fat sound with substance and not edge. Moved to the Marcinkewicz becasue a student of mine said I should try them. So I did and liked what I could do for me. It made my sound a little more brilliant, but slotted the notes easier. I played on this for all of my lead playing for 5 years. I then moved to the Ingram when I heard a group in New Orleans playing in a bar and listened to their trumpet players really going for it. It was the sound I had always wanted. When the band took a break I talked to the trumpet guys in the band and asked what they played on, they told me they were on Roger Ingram models. So out of curiousity I bought one for myself and liked it immediately. Gave me a fatter sound than the Shew and still slotted the notes like the Shew. I have been playing that mouthpiece for the past 5 years and have had no reason to change it now.

I play on a Callet. It has a nice cushion, and it's not too deep not too shallow. it's perfect for me. It has to be because over half of my show this year is above high c. I split my lip in Buffalo two years ago, so I had to get a cushioned mouthpiece that i wouldn't split it open on again, and it has paid off. I'm hitting notes i never could before, and my tone has improved drastically.

Highschool- i used a Shilke 13A4a

Blue Devils 84,85,86- i used a CG 3s

Renegades 2000- i used a Yamaha 14A4a

Renegades 2001-2002- i used a Monette MFII, i figured that this would be the one i would be on for a long while....NOT!

after the 2002 season i decided to try the Prana MFII, i've been on it since Nov. and I am now trying to sell my regular MFII

My tone quality, intonation, range, consistency, endurance, and confidence have all improved dramatically since i've been playing on Monette mouthpieces. And all by way of using LESS effort.

and no, this lead mouthpiece will not give you an 'airy' type of sound in the lower registers like a lot of the other lead pieces will. you can still achieve a nice round low sound.

and yes, it is worth EVERY PENNY!

the best part===knowing that there is still much more come.

'just do it...........'

I play a Monette B2 now, but when I marched I played a Parke Vince Dimartino with a Warburton KT Backbore. It had a nice cushion rim, but it is too small for the kind of playing I do now.