Booing and the Cadets

I did not boo and I did clap after their performance. I also believe The Cadets would win without narration.

I think the narration is absolutely horrible as a component of this show as well as for drum corps, but their hornline, actually all the performers are absolutely incredible! So much talent in one corps on one field should be illegal!

People who audition for The Cadets next year should know they may participate in a drum corps not interested in winning, but making another statement.

While I believe Hopkins has his group's best interest in mind at all times, DCI should have stepped in and had the hash marks repainted just before their performance. In fact, they should paint the hash marks before every performance - right. YES - the hash marks were hard to see, maybe even invisible, and I believe it will be fixed tomorrow night. YES - they should have simply performed.

Edited by hsreed

As a FMM of the Cadets of Bergen County ... let me be the first to say, " IT'S ABOUT TIME ". The Cadets of YEA! have had their fair share of jabbing the past 2 years. It usually chills out by finals night. That being said ...... this years show is overkill. We all know it. The fan$ spoke their mind. I say... GOOD. The "kids" made their (so called) informed choice about where they marched and bought into a show that they knew would be controversial. Even Rondo and Delucia were cracking on Hoppy and the show in general. They acknowledged the boo's and made a statement at the very end, "THEY'RE NOT BOOING NOW!". Good for them.

George had the show designed the way that it is INTENTIONALLY. He's using those kids to snub his nose at the fan$, Alumni, Judges and his critics. Sorry the "kids" are stuck in the middle. Maybe they should all march elsewhere and put a punctuation on the RESOUNDING statement that the masses made this evening.

I promise you .. the theater crowd offered the same reactions and LAUGHED along with the fan$ at the Rose Bowl.

It's high time they just burn the colors, get a new uniform and find a new name with ZERO national titles or world titles attached to it. Either that, or wise up, drop the amping and talking and pushing toward wind instruments and electronics. Just do drum corps and shut up. That's what the crowd said, that's what many have said on here and have been bashed for it. Politics on this board are just as bad as they are in DCI itself. But that show has gone too far. THE END.

I quoted myself because I need to feel superior tonight. :) I guess I'm having a Hoppy moment. So, in case you missed it the first time or got stuck in the Politically Correct circle here on DCP .... read above. There are plenty who agree, even in the alumni of Garfield/Holy Name/CBC.

all i can say is this, when you put something in front of people they don't like, expect to be booed. Hands down just take it and move on, in some of the stuff i've done i have been booed, and have booed, if i don't like you, i'm #### well going to tell you that i don't like you.

lets all stop being so freekin pc here, in the real world people get booed, and this is saposed to be a sport right folks. For those of you on your mighty steed saying that there should never be booing just get over yourself, welcome to the real world. If the paying person dosen't like it then hell, let 'um boo.

I would like to apologize to every college athlete ever who was booed at some point in their life when playing against their rivals in their championship game. Get over it, these are big kids and honestly, if booing were ever in order in a drum corps event, this would be it. The audience OBVIOUSLY isn't booing the performance, they are booing the fact that they aren't performing. Everybody booing is obviously aware that the performers had nothing to do with this and the corps members should realize this. Oh, and a message to Hoppy....

BOOOOOOOOO

Hey, guess what, my friends. If you've got sand in your genitals over booing George Hopkins, I advise you to take Friday night off. It's not getting any prettier.

I am mad that the stadium lights kept buzzing the entire night. I thought the cecedas in the midwest were annoying this summer. I think the lights humming all night covered up most of the boo's IMO.

PS - None of the kids were booed. Hopkins was. Still not right to boo and I was not happy with the people booing, but I assure you that the 135 fine musicians of the Cadets were not booed. The kids perform the hell out of the show that they have designed for them, and the people know that. It's just some people don't agree with design, and that's a topic that has been debated for years.

I agree with your frustration, but lets put the correct spin on where the negative emotions were directed. (I am not a Hoppy Hater either and am not condoning the booing...I am just saying lets all look "outside the looking glass"

I promise you as someone who was on the receiving end of boos directed towards my corps director, design team, and/or benefactor that the kids do NOT share your point of view. Maybe somewhere down the road they might see things the way you do. It's sad because these last 3 shows of the season will be some of the most memorable nights of their lives. They deserve to enjoy this time without the selfish people in the stands inserting their negativity into it. By the time I aged out, the booing was so regular that it pretty much became a joke we laughed off. Hopefully, the Cadets have had enough time with this to rally together and come to a similar understanding and just perform for themselves.

I can't stand the narration but I kept my mouth shut at shows because I know exactly how the kids feel. I feel ill just reading about this. I thought maybe the culture of this activity has changed but I guess not.

BOOING...the one DCI tradition that seems to endure.

edit: I was happy that BD won tonight but now I think it would be pretty darn cool if the Cadets came back and won this thing so they could tell everyone in the stands to go stick their lousy attitudes up their snoots.

Edited by Medeabrass

Ummmm....nope! The Cadets were not booed tonight. George Hopkins was booed. He just happened to be standing in front of the corps. If you stayed around, you might have seen George get booed again, when the Cadets score was announced, and he came out and right up to DCI Exec Dir Dan Acheson, and got in his face about the apparent penalty. This, even though it is most likely that he was told at the earlier time, when he led the Cadets on and then off the field, that they would be getting a penalty.

Drama! It's all it was, and George is the problem, not the fans. The fans have had enough, apparently of George and his hissy fits, and let him know. By the way, as soon as Dan Acheson began to hear the crowd he, to his credit, walked away from Hopkins, and across into the tunnel, where the conversation should have been held in the first place, and not in front of the crowd.

Again, Drama, is all it was, caused by Hopkins. The Cadets were not in any disadvantage by simply marching on the same field as Phantom and Cavies had just marched. After all, the Cadets have a spot-drill. And the kids could march that show in the dark, practiacally, or with their eyes closed. They didn't need George's "help", and must have been mortified to have their Director acting like such a fool.

AJMHO....but I was there, and I was booing....George!

:beer::beer::beer::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

I was there in the 12th row 50 yard line and there can be no doubt: Some fans have had it with George!!! The corps is amazing.

Hey, guess what, my friends. If you've got sand in your genitals over booing George Hopkins, I advise you to take Friday night off. It's not getting any prettier.

Now thats funny

That post is made of win.