Booing and the Cadets

im still really glad they split but why'd they have to go all the butt **** down to texas. why not run the corps from around PA or maybe NY??

Because the people with the infrastructure in place and $$$ to finance the corps are from there.

I am not condoning the booing so let me set the record straight HOWEVER....

The US Constitution gives all Americans the right to freedom of speech.

Freedom of Speech applies to the government control of speech, not relevant to this thread.

I'm sure in 58 pages Medeabrass got on here and spoke about the booing Star received in 93. It became a sort of hype for them. Kind of funny, don't you think? And Medea marched in the Texas A&M Aggie Band, too. The way he put it, "It was an interesting contrast to march for one organization where even our own fans hated us, and for another where even our enemies LOVED us!"

A couple of thoughts about what I saw on the screen last night.

First, the field is trash. The center of the field looked like...do you remember the NFC Championship Games several years ago between Dallas and San Francisco? Terrible field when it gets wet, that Candlestick. I think it's called "Mile High at Candlestick Park" now. Anyways, we're talking about the friggin' ROSE Bowl, people. It hosts the NCAA National friggin' Championship Game every, what? 4 years? And they had to come in and plant 4,000 square yards of Oklahoma right in the middle of the field.

Then there's the blank spot in front of the pit that needed to be re-sodded. I mean...why pick a crappy field? Go back to Denver again so it's out West, but there's no excuse for a junk field. Seattle, San Francisco, Oakland, LA, and San Diego have NFL stadiums whose grass right now is pristine with the NFL season fast approaching. No excuses any more for poor quality fields. That went out in '94 when they had to spray the mud green.

Second, they had to know the lines were going to get pounded. Why couldn't they request some super heavy-duty paint to do the job with?

Third, did anybody notice that the field had been "moved" about 10 feet towards the stands? It's been 8 months since a football game has been played there, and they had to repaint the lines?? Do it right the first time. Geez. There had to be SOMEBODY with DCI telling the Rose Bowl what to expect. I mean, let them talk to other major turf stadium superintendent's to know what to expect.

On that note, I can't really blame Hoppy for asking for new lines. And quite frankly, I'm glad calmer heads prevailed and the penalty was redacted. I don't care for the show concept, although the performance is amazing. But when you paint your own fields all summer long and you walk out on the field and there are no hashes, duh?! It would be interesting, since someone brought it up, to see what the reaction would have been had Jeff Fiedler pulled his guys off the field and requested new hashes. After all, with dot drill and the geometric approach of Cavaliers I would think they might rely on them more.

The thought did cross my mind, "Oh, come on--they rehearse this upwards of a 1,000 hours. You could do it with only the 50 yard line and be pretty good--what are a couple of hash marks?" But if they're supposed to be there, then re-paint them there.

Didn't the Rose Bowl staff come out during intermission and repaint yard lines? Why not hashes also? Kind of a "duh!" also.

But booing the corps? Not necessary. I may even pen a diplomatic letter after the season to the director stating my opinions on various related matters. But I would never Bloooooo anybody but the Coats!

Guess you cannot please everybody concerning the field, freedom of speech, farting,etc. that this thread contains. To be honest, I skimmed through most of these posts and I saw a common thread- people's perception on seeing the same thing.

My advice: do something different instead of DCI. Go to a museum, take the kids on a vacation(camping), read a book, help the poor,etc.

I hope the Cadets win .

Whether or not you like a show is one thing, but why take away a moment that these kids...kids here people, full grown adults were booing kids? Worked so hard to achieve? thats is sad, I didn't notice that when watching, but not even a huge cadets fan can see that is wrong and kind of pathetic .

I have been reading this forum with fascination all morning long. My brother, who was with me on Thursday night made an excellent point a few moments ago. Everyone always talks about how drum corps is such a wonderful experience because it prepares you for life challenges. Well there was no better example of that then last Thursday night.

Excellent point. No one was being disrespectful of Cadets or their fans. The Cadets have been a driving force in Drum Corps for a long time but let’s face it. That was a grand standing move and some fans called GH on it. It’s as simple was that. Get over it. People who called someone for pulling a move like that are not “Pond Scum” or even bad fans. They are just people who see things for what they are. For all of you sappy fans who are saying that the “Kids” have been harmed get over your selves.

Thursday night in MY theater, no one booed the Cadets or any other show. Some did talk along with the Cadets' narration, like an old movie that they loved so much and memorized the lines. After the show, I chatted with a few people outside the theater who said that "THEY REALLY LIKED the CADETS SHOW" and thought that the narration was a positive move. One guy who marched with me back in the 70s and who's opinion I really respect said that the narration was a positive change and that in the future he "hopes that more corps will follow the Cadets' lead and do more innovative narration", singing etc. "How about wireless mikes on the field, not just mikes in the pit? How about guest singers and narrators being part of DCI competitions"?

insert sarcastic smiley face here....

Dan are you for real? I haven't read through this entire thread to find out if anyone has responded to your comments, but I have some thoughts entirely of my own. ....

Where were you at the Homecoming Reunion? The alumni there loved the show, so don't assume your opinions represent ours. Reports from other alumni across the country has been overwhelmingly positive.

I have NEVER heard an alumni talk the way you do ... I don't get it.

Maybe you didn't enjoy marching with the Cadets, but thats okay, thats why there are other corps. Its been 17 years, let it go.

Loved my experience 17 years ago (best year of my life) ... but how many Alumni weren't there?

I have been reading this forum with fascination all morning long. My brother, who was with me on Thursday night made an excellent point a few moments ago. Everyone always talks about how drum corps is such a wonderful experience because it prepares you for life challenges. Well there was no better example of that then last Thursday night.

Excellent point. No one was being disrespectful of Cadets or their fans. The Cadets have been a driving force in Drum Corps for a long time but let’s face it. That was a grand standing move and some fans called GH on it. It’s as simple was that. Get over it. People who called someone for pulling a move like that are not “Pond Scum” or even bad fans. They are just people who see things for what they are. For all of you sappy fans who are saying that the “Kids” have been harmed get over your selves.

Well, as long as you have your mind made up and will go against all the facts, there is nothing anyone can tell you.

Yes, people were being disrespectful to The Cadets. They were on the field when the booing took place.

It was not a grand stand move. It was a move to make sure his corps had the best chance to perform their best. Wow, a director looking out for the kids in his organization.

I have got to stop coming to this thread. Way too many people trying to justify childish behavior.