Booing and the Cadets

"our society thinks that..."

Sorry I missed the memo that says you speak for our society....

"believe in choice" yet you're saying what society thinks...

Irony meter pegged.....

um, you missed the point - see, if an 18 yo is fit for combat, then our society thinks that an 18 should also be able to handle a boo at a band show

and yes, I'd defend those that would want to boo the troops or the Cadets even if I don't agree with their boos, its called being a good American - see, 'I believe in choice', just like the banner in your sig lines claims, guessed you missed the message of your favorite show this year - kid of shows me just how ineffective their show was

so go ahead, keep trying to hide behind the kids and now the troops - kind of cruddy if you ask me - so very weak

:lookaround: yea good post!

Maybe I missed it in an earlier post, but this is a LIE:

“At no time was Mr. Hopkins anything but respectful of the contest director and the situation. After reviewing all facts in the matter, Judge Administrator John Philips, Contest Director Tony DiCarlo, and myself determined that it was in the best interest of all parties involved in the competition to withdraw the penalty,” said DCI Executive Director Dan Acheson.

Anyone with a set of functioning eyeballs could see George "The Egomaniac" Hopkins giving an earfull to Dan Acheson as they were walking off the field (after the score was announced). The only thing Dan was showing George at that point was his back.

And BTW, some of the booing occurred after the corps had completely left the field in Quarterfinals. I booed at this point, and it was directed squarely at George Hopkins (who was obviously being an ###).

And another thing, you people who speak of the corps members as "children" and want to treat them with kid gloves...While some may be minors, these are the same people who are smoking weed before warm-ups and having sex on tour buses. So don't try and paint with a broad brush and make them out to be saints.

Edited by atlvalet

Just a few points:

1) DCI (read: the corps) agreed ahead of time that the field would be repainted at each break - hashmarks included. This did not happen at the last break, so technically, any corps could have broght this up. This is why the aforementioned penalty was reversed. DCI admitted that there was a mess-up with the field lining and apologized accordingly.

2) Heard from a reliable source that another director was livid when his corps finished their show because of the condition of the field and he alerted Mr Hopkins (and others) of the situation before they went on. I believe that this director might have also requested the field to be religned if he had been alerted to it in time. In any event, it shows that maybe the other corps weren't nearly as bent out of shape over the Cadets move as the rest of us were/are.

3) "something trivial" ?? Hard to even know how to respond to this .... maybe we should just eliminate all the field markings if they are so trivial.

4) Not mentioned by this poster quoted above, but (much) earlier in this thread there was a suggestion that this was planned because the Cadets members seemed to line up so quickly and exit without asking questions so clearly they knew that "Hop" was planning this. Ridiculous. How the fact that the Cadets are such a discliplined group that when their director says "line up", they line up, can be so misunderstood (and maligned) is beyond me.

On the last statement..I will agree. Having seen the pulloff at Cookeville last year, this is the corps responding immediately to instruction. No planning here; just tight discipline.

And on #2...could that have been Jeff Fiedler? Understand Cavies has some issues with show due to hashes being gone. If so, then there was some fine sportsmanship going on there.

um, you missed the point - see, if an 18 yo is fit for combat, then our society thinks that an 18 should also be able to handle a boo at a band show

It's not about whether or not the members are able to handle something...it's about the propriety of booing at all. Just because a person has THE right to do something does not make that 'something' right to do.

so go ahead, keep trying to hide behind the kids and now the troops - kind of cruddy if you ask me - so very weak

Yes, it is kind of cruddy of you to hide behind the troops in making your odious comparison.

and yes, I'd defend those that would want to boo the troops or the Cadets even if I don't agree with their boos, its called being a good American - see, 'I believe in choice', just like the banner in your sig lines claims, guessed you missed the message of your favorite show this year - kid of shows me just how ineffective their show was

I’m not hiding behind anyone so you can save your insults for the next drum corps show you attend. I have never advocated the right to boo be taken away from any idiot who feels the need to express themselves in such a disrespectful manner.

My point is that booing an artistic performance is rude. Booing kids is cowardly. Do I want it banned? Heck no but I’ll call it as I see it too, rude and cowardly.

And on #2...could that have been Jeff Fiedler? Understand Cavies has some issues with show due to hashes being gone. If so, then there was some fine sportsmanship going on there.

Since I didn't witness any of this myself and only heard it second or third hand (although from a reliable source), I don't want to name names in case I'm wrong. Suffice it say, though, that no matter who it was, it sure sounded like good sportsmanship to me.

My point is that booing an artistic performance is rude. Booing kids is cowardly. Do I want it banned? Heck no but I’ll call it as I see it too, rude and cowardly.

"Rude," okay. But how is it "cowardly"?

"Rude," okay. But how is it "cowardly"?

Booing from the anonymity of a crowd is faceless which equals cowardly.

Edited by IRMO