USAF Band CD - "On Winged Flight"

MikeN

Okay, so I've been looking for Ron Nelson's Te Deum Laudamus (Cavaliers 1991 opener). No luck. I knew it had been on some Air Force band CD, but couldn't find any other references. Finally, I contacted Fine Arts Media (Dr. Nelson's representatives) and they asked him directly for me. The USAF Band and Singing Sergeants album, "On Winged Flight" is the *only* recording of this work that has been done (to his knowledge). So, I contacted them.

Their Chief of Public Affairs informed me that the 1990 CD is long out of print, though they did distribute freely to libraries and radio stations. I've looked in the Austin (and Univ. of Texas) area, but no luck.

If anyone has a copy of this CD or can acquire one, please let me know.

Thanks!

Mike New

Some libraries have a 'sharing' system. I know mine did with music scores... have you checked to see if the University had that option? I did that with several CDs that were out of print in college.

They do, but only for current students. Alumni don't get the option... :(

Well that stinks ampssuck

Strangely, I think I have this CD...but I'm not at home right now, so I'm going to have to go home and double check. I'll let you know Mike...

I don't know about the Nelson, but the opening sequence to '91 Cavies certainly sounds like it draws from Fisher Tull's "Variants on an Advent Hymn."

There is a recording of that piece on the CD entitled "Celebrations" put out by the Keystone Wind Ensemble (Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Jack Stamp cond.).

• 3 months later...

I have managed to luck into an "amateur" copy of Te Deum Laudamus - the Oklahoma City College Wind Philharmonic played it in March, and their director is going to send me a copy of it after I begged. :)

The only professional recording remains the USAF CD, however.

(sheesh - I think Cavies win the award for the most obscure / hard to find piece ever played by a corps, now...)

Mike