"This I beleive"

Wow! What a night.....An electrified crowd, a large crowd, a stunning line-up of quality corps, and a jaw dropping performance !

Short and sweet !

The Pioneer are presenting their usual show, more melodic thanpast offerings but still just green and ethnic. Break away from the chains that bind you.

Mandarin, again a predictable offering fom a smaller Mandarin than usual. Good GE, but the usual status quo.

Troopers,they are big, they are back, nit too much progress execution-wise since July and total lack of GE, however for a basically first year corps, wow !! Sunburst was better than all 90's offerings and brass ahd deep rich sound ! Welcome back.

Southwind, another quality show, good design, good guard, nothing really sticks in my head except that they were really good and theres just no room at the inn this year.

Cascades, same as Southwind, good corps, concept eludes me though. Some really nice drill moments, some really effective guard moments. Congratulations on a successfil season.

~The crowd is getting a little bigger~

Pacific Crest, hard to believe this corps is in 17th ! Such GE, such pretty colors, great music......Lose the cheezy narration, its trite, ineffective and adds NOTHING to your show except audible groans in the crowd. If its not going to enhance your program dont do it: "In Vegas, money talks, and it says goodbye"...LOL, how silly.

Scouts, wow, Im shocked, totally different offering from Allentown, goosebump city offering, the MEN from Mad city are indeed on a mission, and let me tell you this show was well received ! Aesome drill and design, brass in fore, loud and effective ! Guard much improved, many had them higher than this.

Crossmen, love the capes, drill goes nowhere, not effective in staging the music, too many company front style moments. Melodies are repeated throughout the entire show, no real development. Still a nice program, a solid effort and a fun show to watch.

Blue Stars. Uniform has got to go, makes for messy sets, muddied transitions and monotinous presentation, actually taking away from the music. Pretty melodies, presented with maturity, but design-wise not enough fro the big Saturday dance.

Acadamey, or "are-you-kiddin'-me" ?? This show has no business challenging for finals, no business being above Blue stars and Scouts, and is really receiving a gift regards to scoring.

The program is boring, the music unembraceable, the guard and visual program totally ineffective, drill is not written to enhance the show,terrible sets, What on earth is the guard doing ? This is an awesome 18th/17th place show and a congratulations to a corps on the rise, but please, lets be real, this hosw has design flaws, lacks emotion in some areas and is steril in its delivery.

Spirit, wow ! Talk about kicking it up a notch. Too bad I fell for the DCP - lets be PC, push the underdog" mumbo-jumbo and abandoned them for the hyoe of the Blue Stars. THis show, while still a bit dark and unembraceable at times, is inteligent, mature, well designed, well performed and worthy of finals. I dont like the uniforms, too dark and uninviting, but the overal effect of the corps is positive and changes made will keep them in the big show.

Glassmen are awesome ! From their theme, attention to detail, presentation, and design, this corps has it all. BRass is awesome, deep lush sound and command of their repetoire. Guard is what makes the difference here, totally competent and enjoyable. As great as Colts were, this show had legs to pass 'em up !

Colts= Awesome, simple as that. Full, rich sound, excellent communication with the crowd, solid GE you want to grab abd eat, its dripping with appeal. What a drill, what melody, what colorguard....I cant say enough.

Boston then came with their usual been there done that drill and predictable highs and lows musically. Guard shined at times, more color needed. Musicaly, nice sounds, usual BAC style arrangements, sorry not enough content in my eyes and designis typical. New ending was nice but who could really see the paintings ?

Blue Knights are dark, mysterious, love that role, and deliver it well. Sometimes hard to embrace, the show stil is worthy of their accolades and placement. Drill design is excellent, execution is excellent, guard still needs to lose thos silks and break out of the mold, but they work for the design of the show.

The top seven are just unreal, as soon as you think one was awesome, another comes along and bursts your prediciton bubble.

SCV, tasty, colorful, on fire last night ! Solid drill design and presentation, such a sweet, clever show, should they remain in 7th, it will indeed be thebest 7th place corps ever.

Carolina Crown, simply stunning ! THeir best offering ever, crowd ate them up, corps was on fire, everything clicked, guard was on fire, melodies abound in this show, brass is brilliant, Horse race is brilliant Narration ?? Not needed, didnt embrace it, didnt ruin the show either, couldnt understand one word of it !

This is a show on the move.

Bluecoats.....hmm, seem to have lost some of that early season fire. Design-wise this an awesome, clever show, however I didnt feel the emotion or intensity that was there a month ago. After a few viewings, it comes of as gimmicy and comical and not as mature as once perceived.

Phantom Regiment, simply dazzling sound wise, best brass sound and soloists of the night. Musically, the sweetest most accesible repetoire out there. Visually, Key designf laws are there and final moments are a mess. Guard is hideous, simply hideous inregards to costume design and takes the level of maturity regarding theme to a low level. Not a top three design but I can see the emotion of the msic alone keeping the in contention, they sound that good.

You cant count the Cavaliers out ! The design is briliant, the presentation is top notch, and the GE is dazzling. Not my favorite show but not a snooze either. THey really can go up or down depending on the intensity of their performance, they conver the field like nobody else.

What a shame Cadets have to have a disclaimer "Once you get past that....." Its uttered by eery fan, used as a tool of reason by ever "honk" ,and needed as a set-up for the average fan to "get it". ThankGod, in the "real world" the majority get it, and realize the narration is a major design flaw, isnt fun, groundbreaking, or inovative, and is just plain silly, a distraction, a nuisance and yet another cross to bear for those presenting this show. Its what you will take away the most from this show, and thats just sad as there is a geat show behind it.

George Hopkins, the controversy, the outcome, I will not comment. Holy crowd not happy, booing en masse, louder and more vocal than any other time ever in the history of me and DCI (going back to 1979) Was it right ? was it wrong ? was it all on Hopkins ??

Seems to me Cavaliers presented their show just fine and I wonder if this wasnt just a ploy or trick....KUddos for the judges for assesing the penalty, the actions of one affected many, and George must realize his action affect more than himself. I dont really beleive he does have the kids best interests at heart anymore. Sorry DCP-Cadet-borg. In the real world, defend him or not here, but in the real world, he made many, many "enemies" last night and justified the naysayers. All overshadowing the KIDS on the field.

Blue Devils were just jaw dropping "my" Devils were simply on a mission, the first of a three part mission to stun and shock those in attendance and perform like nothing before. This show is classic, its epic, its probably their best since 1994. Its my favorite since 1994 in regards to toal package, staging, meody, intensity and performance. Nobody thought they would falter, they just need to keep it up. I actually cried during this show, not in over a decade have I seen such polish, such profesionalism, and such confidence in a drum corps as I saw last night. There are no design flaws, no mid-program let down, and no drop in intensity.

Thank you Blue Devils, happy anniversary, scores are irelevant at this point, there is no words for the feeling you gave me last night.

Thats it, Im off to bed, and I think there some people in the lobby here that cant sleep either and want to use the computer.

GO BD !

~G~

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review.

Couple of things. . .

Completely agree on Academy.

Cadets-you could have found a better way to compare those who are cool with the narration in the show and those who aren't. But, far be it from me to expect anything more from you than put downs.

Devils-Will be interesting tonight if they will stay on top, and if the crowd acts like idiots again when and if they don't.

Thanks for the review.

Couple of things. . .

Completely agree on Academy.

Cadets-you could have found a better way to compare those who are cool with the narration in the show and those who aren't. But, far be it from me to expect anything more from you than put downs.

Devils-Will be interesting tonight if they will stay on top, and if the crowd acts like idiots again when and if they don't.

It really is a shame when a reviewer..... any reviewer..... is attacked personally for giving his staight forward opinion from watching the show in person or in a theatre. Question...... did you see ANY of the Corps last nite either at the show or at a theatre to offer YOUR observations here on the performances of the Academy, Cadets, Blue Devils ? If not, it's such a shame when people attack a paying attendance crowd as " idiots ". If you wern't at the show, nor in the theater to watch the show, then in my view your review of the reviewers comments here rings hollow. But thst's just one guys opinion too. I look at these reviews to read the comments of people who actually saw and heard the performances. I dismiss as out of order people's comments on the Corps performances, and the paying customers at the show or in theatres by those were not present. But that's just my 2 cents worth too, as I didn't see the performances not the audience reaction to it either.

Edited by X DM

I'm confused. Why did the Cadets get (and then not get) a 2-pt. penalty?

I've seen them listed as 2nd and as 4th place in different forums.

HELP!!

:beer:

Penalty for timing was given...then taken away.

Hop wanted the field re-lined for the kids; since it delayed the show...the penalty was assessed. Apparently, the hashes weren't redone when they were supposed to be, though, sooo...in light of that, the penalty was removed.

It really is a shame when a reviewer..... any reviewer..... is attacked personally for giving his staight forward opinion from watching the show in person or in a theatre. Question...... did you see ANY of the Corps last nite either at the show or at a theatre to offer YOUR observations here on the performances of the Academy, Cadets, Blue Devils ? If not, it's such a shame when people attack a paying attendance crowd as " idiots ". If you wern't at the show, nor in the theater to watch the show, then in my view your review of the reviewers comments here rings hollow. But thst's just one guys opinion too. I look at these reviews to read the comments of people who actually saw and heard the performances. I dismiss as out of order people's comments on the Corps performances, and the paying customers at the show or in theatres by those were not present. But that's just my 2 cents worth too, as I didn't see the performances not the audience reaction to it either.

When a review contains personal elements that have nothing to do with the actual thing they are reviewing (if you hate the narration you get it, if you like it you're drinking kool-aid. . .paraphrasing) then you invite some criticism back. If you don't like it, hit that ignore button.