Andy Poor - Activist Judge...

pags - great points.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, ties are NOT ok. The job of an adjudicator is make a decision regarding placement based on the criteria, not to tie groups when the decision is too tough.

And it's obvious he came to the show with a ranking system already in place. Thus, he did not play the 'leave room at the top' game as a judge. If you cap the ceiling too soon, there's no where to go, and you can't reward those corps left over for improvement.

Make sense?

Ok, let me refine my statement.

I don't have a problem with ties in the sub captions. Total score? Of course!

But a judge giving two 9.9's with three more corps left to go on... if you're going to play the 'you have to leave room at the top' game, then obviously he didn't. Thus, I don't mind ties happening in subcaptions.

Yeah, but if there are no ties in the subcaptions, there could be a tie when they are all added together... This is unlikely, but has happened multiple times in the past. That doesn't mean the judges are bad, it just means two or more different corps performed at equal levels, both with different strengths and weaknesses.

Yeah, but if there are no ties in the subcaptions, there could be a tie when they are all added together... This is unlikely, but has happened multiple times in the past. That doesn't mean the judges are bad, it just means two or more different corps performed at equal levels, both with different strengths and weaknesses.

And that's where the post 2000 tie breaking rule comes into play. If there's a total overall tie score, the winner goes to the most with 1st place subcaptions.

No, ties are NOT ok. The job of an adjudicator is make a decision regarding placement based on the criteria, not to tie groups when the decision is too tough.

Actually they are ok. There are 2 subcaptions on the judges sheet. One corps might be technical masters but lack musicality. By the way .. those 2 subcaptions have specific criteria such as TONE QUALITY, BALANCE, BLEND, TIMING etc etc etc. If a corps get's a 9.9 and a 9.6 ... that makes sense to me. It's when each corps is in a specific place top to bottom in each subcaption that bothers me. I'll take can obvious example (at least to me) ... Crown might only get a 9.3 for technique ... but should be getting a 9.9 in Musicality. Do they? NO! Each of the top hornlines are so good, there's nothing wrong with 2 or corps getting the same subcaption number ... or tying for 2nd or 3rd. However, I do agree that there should be a clear winning when they show themselves to be worthy. There was room to hand out a 10 should it have been necessary. The judge did fine other than the cross subcaption rankings were very close to being the same for the most part.

its_a_conspiracy.jpg

There were two tenths left there... if Cavies/Cadets/BD was better than the Blue Coats, he would have given them a higher score than the Blue Coats.

It's that simple.

So does this mean nobody is allowed to be the best except for whoever is seeded first?? That's completely ridiculous.

Edited by prophet