95.4 Really?

WRONG!!!

Matisse is Better than Monet!

Andriessen Is Better than Cage!

Chocolate is better than Vanilla!

Bert is better than Ernie!!!!

And if you don't agree with me than there's a conspiracy!!!!1one We're getting skroooooooooooooooooooooooooed!

:P :P :P :)

I'd rather see my fave corps in the #1 spot, but if they're not, I'll still load up the audio on my iPod.

(BTW Nikk...your posts have been missed this summer! How's new-found life as a doctor???)

Bert better than Ernie? Them's fighting words!

Sigh...my new life as a Ph.D. has been extremely busy. There are two reasons that I have not been posting as much this summer:

1. Drill writing. This year I am writing drill for 9 schools (maybe 10 if that director would ever get his materials to me already). I've been going nonstop for the past few weeks. About two weeks ago, I got a job in Kentucky, and they want me up there by August 15th. I found this out on August 1st, so as you can imagine, things have been crazy. I wake up around 9am, write drill for 8-9 hours with some breaks for lunch and dinner (or if I need a break because a transition is not going well), then I spend some time with my girlfriend, pack some stuff, and resume drill writing around 11pm after she has gone to bed. I will typically stay up writing until 2am or so. Repeat that for the past two weeks. Not much time for DCP, though I did take a night off last night to be able to watch the webcast.

2. The incident back in June where a member of the Regiment staff sent me a nasty email. It really ticked me off that someone would misread what I posted (about the history of Regiment's visual program since John Brazale died) so blatantly. It was almost as if this person was blaming me for what all the "Regiment has crappy visuals" people were posting, even though I was always the first one to defend them, and have long said that I am a fan of Jamey's writing and the work of the Emmert brothers.

That convinced me that people read what they want to read, and that for whatever reasons, people in that organization must think that i am a critic of theirs. And while nothing could be further from the truth, that was confirmed for me when I got word back from someone I know in the organization who told me that a few people were talking about how I was trashing Regiment!

And here I am, often accused of (and a willing recipient) of being a Regiment Borg! I can't remember the last time I criticized the organization as a whole....probably 1999 or 2000. And frankly, some of their decisions deserved criticism back then. But since about 2002, I have been very happy with the direction of the corps, the programming, and the organization. So, this sort of came out of left field, and I don't mind telling you, it somewhat hurt my feelings to think that this one person was spreading these untruths about me. I would not be surprised if my name was "mud" with some of the people who taught us, and that pisses me off even more.

It got me to thinking about how easy it is to misinterpret someone's words and make them seem like something else.

Add those two, and you can see why I have been scarce lately. Honestly, I will likely continue to post for a long time, but....I don't think it will be at the same levels I once did. That should be a relief for a bunch of folks here. :P

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ernie is WAY better than Bert, dude.

I think Bert is destroying drum corps. HE'S the one behind the woodwinds. Him and his pigeons.

Regiment put on a great performance. This show has grown by leaps and bounds, and is one of my favourites this year.

I couldn't give a rat's tuckus where they place, it does not affect me personally. I just want to be entertained.

I have long since abandoned the idea that art can be properly judged.

That says it all my friend. :worthy:

Edited by Lasallemello73

Ernie is WAY better than Bert, dude.

I think Bert is destroying drum corps. HE'S the one behind the woodwinds. Him and his pigeons.

I'm.....I....just.....speechless. You're dead to me!

You kids and your rock and roll music...

...the "Street" was better before you got here.

:P

Do you think he's a "whiner" because he think's the corps was underscored or because he used the term "screwed?" (Which, btw, I don't agree with.)

From a much earlier thread...

You (and others) are pretty quick to cry foul if Regiment scores higher than some of your favorites (e.g. Crown, Bluecoats), yet when someone else posts similar thoughts, but from the other side of the pendulum, they're a "whiner." If you honestly wrote this because he thought the corps was "screwed," then whatever. But, if you didn't, then I think it's a little ironic.

Reading comprehension is a beautiful thing. Note that I said "UNLESS". I did not put a period and end the thought. Phantom has made many changes. I still would not put them where they are but I am not on here posting about a corps getting screwed either am I. Sour grapes don't taste real good.

I'm.....I....just.....speechless. You're dead to me!

You kids and your rock and roll music...

...the "Street" was better before you got here.

:P

Stuff it, wanka! ANARCHY IN THE S.S.

I think there was just as much or even more dirt in the corps ahead of PR...especially the Cavaliers. I would not be surprised if PR leapfrogs the Cavies tonight. I was hoping the Cavies would be putting more preshaw on the "Up With People Band" just ahead of them.

Regardless...some have said that years past were great drum corps years, but 2007 is legitimately one of THE best!

Edited by stockman365

Reading comprehension is a beautiful thing.

Agreed. As I'm sure you noticed that I didn't agree with the "screwed" comment either.... In fact, my question was intended to clarify whether this term was the main reason you thought he was a whiner and not because he voiced an opinion that Regiment might have been underscored. (Which I took as an echo of what you said--from the opposite perspective--in your post.) I asked this not out of sarcasm, but more... doubtfulness.

Yes, I did see that you clarified your statement with "unless," but I took it as more of a backhanded compliment or caveat. If your sentiment was genuine then, of course, I will recant.

There were a couple of insightful comments on this board that I wanted to second.

First, I also thought Phantom was really great last night and thought they might pass Cavies. I care about the competitioin thing a little but care much more about enjoying what is in front of me. Every year I just seem to enjoy Phantom's choices. I generally buy the music after hearing them play it, although I already have the Philip Glass piece.

Second, I think the 1-3 placing corps this year are not as good in the years past but believe the 4-22 are much better than they have ever been. 4-8 is particularly great.

Overall, it has been a fun year to watch. In previous years I could go to a show and maybe only enjoy 3 corps from maybe 6-7 that perform at a show. This year, I have generally enjoyed all of the corps shows. For the most part the designers have really stepped up in terms of design and the performers are exceptional.

I could give a crap who wins but overall it has been a good season from my perspective.

Second, I think the 1-3 placing corps this year are not as good in the years past but believe the 4-22 are much better than they have ever been. 4-8 is particularly great.

I think I have to agree with this. The top 3 corps are all great, but don't leave me screaming for more like usual. The overall performance level of even the bottom corps seems higher than normal, and there are years past where if the shows performed by Academy and Blue Stars were performed those years, they probably would have made top 12.

As for Phantom, I would have had their score and Bluecoats switched around personally.