DCI Title lost over hash marks?

The hash mark issue cost the Cadets a chance at the title. Without judging if GH was right or wrong in holding the corps back until the field was repainted, the impact was clear. While the Cadets had been beating BD in the two previous head-to-head competitions, BD beat them by a rather large margin for Quarters. Why? It is clear the delay...or booing...or influence on the judges affected the corps performance. The Cadets came in fifth in both brass and colorguard. Was the corps affected by booing? The scores seem to say yes. But this could have been equally caused by the delay of waiting after they were ready to go on. Clearly Thursday night's performance was sub-par.

So what, how does that cause them to lose on Saturday? The relatively low score on Thursday was a shock to the corps. They knew they could do better. They set out to prove that on Friday. As quoted by the Cadets DM after the show, "You’ll see us come out with a new fire tomorrow and we will improve upon [our performance] tonight. I promise that you will definitely see what you would expect to see from the Cadets." They did just that. And the recaps show it. They came within 0.050 of BD. However, while the Cadets left everything out there on Friday night, listen to what Dave Gibbs said about BD, "We’re gearing up for tomorrow night (Saturday) and we’re excited for our last show. We backed off of the kids a little bit tonight, so I think we have a couple more gears left in us for tomorrow night’s performance." Ok, they say that stuff all the time, but this time I think both meant it.

So the Cadets had gone all out on Friday, and BD was saving some for Saturday. Look at the results for Saturday; the spread was huge by this year's standards. Why did the Cadets come so close on Friday night only to fall back on Saturday? The Cadets' score actually dropped, while BD's soared. It was because of the reaction to Thursday's low score.

So who do the Cadets blame. Knowing the class of the corps, they will blame themselves for their own score. But if you want complain about the cause of the low score on Thursday, there are plenty of opportunities. Tony DiCarlo should have made sure the field was properly painted before restarting after intermission. George Hopkins should have realized the reaction the Cadets would get if he stopped the show to repaint. I'm sure there will be Cadets' supporters out there that will blame the fans for booing.

Whatever the reason, the hash mark issue really did have a big effect.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Cadets had gone all out on Friday, and BD was saving some for Saturday. Look at the results for Saturday; the spread was huge by this year's standards. Why did the Cadets come so close on Friday night only to fall back on Saturday? The Cadets' score actually dropped, while BD's soared. It was because of the reaction to Thursday's low score.

While you are coming up with these theories, let me know what your theory is for this:

1992 Quarterfinals - Star beats Cavaliers by .7 and Cadets by 1.1

1992 Semifinals - Star loses to Cavaliers by .2 and beats Cadets by .7

1992 Finals - Star ends up .8 below Cavaliers and .3 below Cadets

How could that happen when they didn't even have a hash mark controversy?

Edited by Tekneek

Hoppy strikes again! His kids were all pumped up and he pulls them off the field because a few tiny white lines that they probably weren't even thinking about weren't bright enough for him. DUH!

The hash mark issue cost the Cadets a chance at the title.

I dont know but I'm not buying this theory and here's why. If the Cadets laid it all out on Friday night the fact remains that they still didnt pass BD so, what did Thursday night have to do with costing them a chance at the title?

Personally I think the Cadets show was championship quality and one I will love for years but the judges thought differently. I dont see the hash mark issue affecting anything other than Thursday nights scores.

The hash mark issue cost the Cadets a chance at the title. Without judging if GH was right or wrong in holding the corps back until the field was repainted, the impact was clear. While the Cadets had been beating BD in the two previous head-to-head competitions, BD beat them by a rather large margin for Quarters. Why? It is clear the delay...or booing...or influence on the judges affected the corps performance. The Cadets came in fifth in both brass and colorguard. Was the corps affected by booing? The scores seem to say yes. But this could have been equally caused by the delay of waiting after they were ready to go on. Clearly Thursday night's performance was sub-par.

So what, how does that cause them to lose on Saturday? The relatively low score on Thursday was a shock to the corps. They knew they could do better. They set out to prove that on Friday. As quoted by the Cadets DM after the show, "You’ll see us come out with a new fire tomorrow and we will improve upon [our performance] tonight. I promise that you will definitely see what you would expect to see from the Cadets." They did just that. And the recaps show it. They came within 0.050 of BD. However, while the Cadets left everything out there on Friday night, listen to what Dave Gibbs said about BD, "We’re gearing up for tomorrow night (Saturday) and we’re excited for our last show. We backed off of the kids a little bit tonight, so I think we have a couple more gears left in us for tomorrow night’s performance." Ok, they say that stuff all the time, but this time I think both meant it.

So who do the Cadets blame. Knowing the class of the corps, they will blame themselves for their own score. But if you want complain about the cause of the low score on Thursday, there are plenty of opportunities. Tony DiCarlo should have made sure the field was properly painted before restarting after intermission. George Hopkins should have realized the reaction the Cadets would get if he stopped the show to repaint. I'm sure there will be Cadets' supporters out there that will blame the fans for booing.

Whatever the reason, the hash mark issue really did have a big effect.

Boo Hoo, Boo Hoo,

The Cadets lost because BD was the better corps this year.

It had absolutely nothing to do with hash marks. If anything, the

corps should have had a better performance considering there were

fresh hash marks. It's over, stop trying to find excuses.

This I believe...

The Blue Devils were the better corps on Saturday thus they won.

This I believe...

George Hashmarks Hopkinson didn't do his corps image or his any favors in Quarterfinals.

This I believe...

Hoppy doesnt seem to care...remember it's about the performers not you!