2008 show ideas

I don't entirely care who, but SOMEBODY needs to do music by Nobuo Uematsu. I know it's been done a bit in the past (was it '03 Blue Stars?), but it seems like people have always overemphasized the fact that it's video game music and haven't payed enough attention to the fact that it's MUSIC, and excellent music at that.

One way I'd like to see it would be as follows:

Blue Knights: "Dark World" Music from Final Fantasy VI

Mvt. 1- Prologue and World Theme

Mvts. 2-5- Excerpts from Dancing Mad

Another one that I'd really like to see done is Regiment doing a show based on Kalevala, possibly featuring the Swan of Tuonela by Sibelius.

Impulse did FF music this year, lots of stuff from VII and then closed with the ending theme from IV (which I LOVE). Would be great to see a D1 corps do a Final Fantasy show though. Someone needs to put One Winged Angel on the field darn it. Just once!!!

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Phantom Regiment:

Wagner's The Ring of the Nibelung: "Die Gotterdamerung"

1997?

I do have to say that there are a lot of great ideas here.

Edited by SpookyKid

PR:

"Dracula"- Philip Glass

The Cadets

4:33 -John Cage

(this isn't supposed to be a jab at the cadets btw, i just think they could pull off complete silence and use it to their advantage)

maybe some percy grainger?

Are you serious? Because I absolutely love "Trivandrum", the opener in 2002. It's my favorite original composition in drum corps.

I'm having fun I doubt they're doing anything with the Gordon Henderson Piece, I like it also,

Absolutely. A return to this show, with their now championship-caliber talent, will make them title contenders next year.

They must do this again.

That's an order.

Hopefully no one takes an offense to what I am about to say, but Stormworks is too bando to be on a drum corps field!

Blue Devils - Concord, CA - Music from Cowboy Bebop (Tank!, Adieu, Want it All Black, Too Good Too Bad)

I'd go with Tank!, Jupiter Jazz, Clutch and then Rush.

But a Yoko Kanno/The Seatbelts show would be amazing.

I have to admit that I am one of the ones that is not thrilled with the direction of the current activity. Okay, so I am a dinosaur. I marched in the 70s and 80s and love the music from the old time drum corps, but I do not want to see corps go back and dig up drum corps classics and rehash them. That idea is not exciting to me at all. In my opinion Madison did this way too much in the 1990's. Quite often, the rehashing never measures up to the original. There is a reason some tunes become a drum corps classic. This doesnt mean that they need to be re-done to death. There is so much great music out there that has never been done before. Drum corps, to me, means great music-first and foremost.

Here are some of my ideas...

Samba Bajada- Don Ellis

Trumpet Concerto- Alexander Arutiunian

German Requiem- Brahms

Trumpet Concerto- Goedicke

Full show of music by Styxx

Music of Star Wars (all six movies)