Phantom Regiment 2007

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved the addition of blue to the corps uniform. So elegant. Elegant --- yeah, that's it. Great adjective to describe this corps.

I found myself incredibly moved during the flugelhorn duet. So pristine.

My drum corps year was incomplete this year without my seemingly annual week in Rockford during Spring Training. Real life got in the way. But it was worth the wait.

Thanks, Chris, for the post and for giving us die-hards a place to show our appreciation!

The first time I remember seeing Phantom was in Buffalo in '95 at semifinals. What a show! And the most outstanding thing was Phantoms' hornline. My girlfriend and I arranged to get tickets for Orlando as soon as they went on sale. She was going to see Cavaliers and Madison, I was going to see Phantom. And what an incredible show that was!! And the corps has never failed to impress me since. There is something in the writing, the instrumentation, the passion for excellence and striving for that.....sound!, I have never quite heard from any other( sorry, champs). How do you do that? Just incredible....incredible.....awesome......thank you :worthy:

Lest you think I will not HONK with the best of them for my boys and girls in white...

Thank you, Phantom Regiment, for making 2007 such a wonderful season for us phans. Musically, you came up with my favorite Regiment show since 2004, a fact I was not unabashed in gushing about to Dan and JD after semis, when you turned in an emotional, riveting, and technically excellent performance. You were stunning in absolutely every way in Pasadena. I get chills thinking about how you brought this simple show concept to life in a way that is at once completely innovative (see drill design that I believe has pushed the activity in ways that will be talked about for a long time to come, and your performance of it, which was undervalued given its freshness) and magnificently "Phantom Regiment". Each one of you, from guard to horns to drums, became dancers. And we'd always toyed with that, messed around with it. Stood around in ballet positions for halts. But you made it happen. I still couldn't believe it. You danced and played the whole show. How'd you do that? :worthy:

I hope each and every member came to Rockford with the notion, first and foremost, of being a member of Phantom Regiment, a corps we as alumni dearly love more than we can describe in a post like this. It's an ideal more than anything. And our corps changes from year to year. This year, after talking with Dan and JD, I believe our corps put on the mantle of educator. It was as if the Faust show was Regiment's 2nd championship (2nd place or otherwise) and PR did the traditional DCI move of taking a difficult show on as a follow-up, which is more or less an obligation of a champion...to push the activity. Faust was written 'to win.' 'On Air' was written, in my opinion, to fly. And it did.

So when I listen to the opener, I hear something that reminds me of the most riveting things I've ever heard on the field of drum corps competition. It brightens my mindset immediately. It is unstoppable force and things set in motion and the inevitable wall of sound. And I thank you for it.

And I hear your amazing ballad, and I turn into a pile of mush. It is so exquisitely gorgeous it ought not even be legal outside a concert hall. And then your guard brought it to life in a way that made a piece I'd tired of, and thought hack, back as a favorite. And again, how do you do that?

And then the angry birds attacking and showing one of the fiercest, most competitive forces in drum lines in the history of DCI. And don't think we didn't notice.

And then the Firebird. And a show that seemed like it lasted about a minute and a half. And I wished you could play for hours.

How do you do that? Easy.

You're Phantom Regiment. You are awesome in ways that haven't been invented yet.

And I thank you. :beer:

What he said!

SUTA!