Auditioning for Div. 1

So I've found it interesting that a lot of people are auditioning not just for multiple corps, but multiples of the "big boys". Not knocking anyone for doing that, but I'm wondering how does that work? Just hope that their early audition camps don't coincide, sending in tapes?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*stands up*

Hi. My name is Chase, and I'm an alcoholic...

*Hi, chase*

but seriously, I'm auditioning for cavies again this year on trumpet. I will be at the Atlana camp, and look forward to meeting you other Cavie hopefuls. Best of luck to you.

...and what corps might THAT be? :P

Well actually, I wanted to try out for Cavaliers for the longest of times. Then I switched my mind about who I wanted to try out for like 50 times my senior year of high school. I think it went from Cavies to BD to SCV to Crown to PR. I actually ended up trying out for Crown but some things happened and I have regretted ever since :/. No excuses for me anymore, it's try out and PR and own that audition.

So I've found it interesting that a lot of people are auditioning not just for multiple corps, but multiples of the "big boys". Not knocking anyone for doing that, but I'm wondering how does that work? Just hope that their early audition camps don't coincide, sending in tapes?

I was thinking that same thing. It's great that people are leaving their options open, but there are only so many audition camps you can go to. For instance, almost every corps and their mom has an audition camp on Thanksgiving Weekend. Unless you have the ability to clone yourself, it's hard to see how someone could audition for Phantom Regiment, Bluecoats, and Blue Devils (two of those corps traditionally have big audition camps that weekend). The other way I see people doing it is auditioning at different locations. Let's say a person goes a Florida Glassmen audition a random weekend in December, but has already attended a Cavalier camp in Illinois in November, and a Blue Stars audition in Texas in either November or December. The problem you'll run into, should you make it to the next round of auditions for any corps, is choosing who you're going to stick with. Most corps staffs are going to be looking for consistent attendance to show that your dedicated to making the corps. It's not like you can tell them, "Sorry, I can't make it to next camp because I'm trying to see if I can make the Cadets too." Also, let's say you don't even make any of those "big boy" corps. Are you, with a slightly deflated self-esteem, going to keep your options open to simply march somewhere? People are quick to shoot down the "lower tier" Division I corps or Division II/III thinking that they won't have a good experience. You wonder how people make the more elite corps. Well, most people I've known to march there have gained experience elsewhere. I'm not saying that there aren't people that go in as total rookies to the drum corps activity, because I know people like that too, but I think it's best to leave your eyes and ears open to any drum corps out there, whether that be DCI or DCA. Who knows? You may just wind up loving your experience at that other corps that wasn't your "first choice" so much that you choose to stay there.

People are quick to shoot down the "lower tier" Division I corps or Division II/III thinking that they won't have a good experience. You wonder how people make the more elite corps. Well, most people I've known to march there have gained experience elsewhere.

Word.

I say it's none of their business if you've auditioned anywhere else. I'd say anybody who does has an inferiority complex.

Agreed

Carl Sagar

Auditioning for the ageout at Spirit

(Woooo finally aging out!)

i'm gonna put all my pennies into crown for auditioning for my ageout... i'll be trying out on marimba... i've been wanting to be apart of that corps ever since 2003.

Though I'm trying out I have no clue how I'm going to finance it. Do you guys have any information on scholarships or sponsorships I could acquire?

What I did was wrote up a letter that explained what I was doing and a little about the organization I was in and how much it all actually costs to do and sent them to as many family friends and relatives I could. It actually helped pay for over half my tour fees.