Hopblog thoughts on "Hash-gate"

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly was his inappropriate reaction toward the crowd?

He went out and bowed to the crowd.

Is next year's show going to be called "Hash Marks?"

Nah, it'll be a retro 80's-90's show bringing back all the really amazing stuff that changed the drum corps landscape - both musically and visually - and they'll call it "ReHash."

(just exploiting the hash pun, not taking any jabs at the Cadets or Mr. Hopkins.)

Imagine that. George Hopkins is human.

Hopefully the armchair quarterbacks who think they would always run a corps perfectly, without mistakes and write shows that 100% of the audience will love (i.e the people on their ##### in the stands) will realize this....but I doubt it.

100 percent correct.

Name me one person involved with drum corps who hasn't made a mistake, or made a wrong decision, big or small, public or private, at one time or another.

Still waiting......

That's right. NO ONE is perfect. God knows I've made my share of mistakes....some more public than others.

Did George act "perfectly" that night? No, probably not.

But did he make the right call for his corps that night? Yes, he did. This I believe. :)

Fran

Nah, it'll be a retro 80's-90's show bringing back all the really amazing stuff that changed the drum corps landscape - both musically and visually - and they'll call it "ReHash."

(just exploiting the hash pun, not taking any jabs at the Cadets or Mr. Hopkins.)

Awesome. :P

What exactly was his inappropriate reaction toward the crowd?

Well, unlike David St. Angel, he didn't give anyone the middle finger.

Ok, that made me laugh! I had forgotten about Phantom's Director doing that in 1992.

I’m happy I have the “live” PBS broadcast. Need to pull that out and watch again.

Thanks!

He went out and bowed to the crowd.

From the theatre, it looked like he bowed while he was leaving the field towards the sidelines. No special trip was made.

Also, for those GH blog readers, I wonder how many other times he has said I'm sorry for other incidents/decisions. His type A/micro-management personality might rise again.

Or could it be because most of us are taking this attempt to save face with the large grain of salt it deserves?

Case in point:

Quote 1: "I did not pull the corps ... I never threatened to pull the corps"

Quote 2: "... I was simply clearing so the painting could occur, ... I should have waited for DCI to act."

Quote 3: "When the corps was clear and I was walking forward to find DCI officials ..."

Quote 4: "Indeed, it was GEORGE HOPKINS, who pulled the corps" (emphasis in original)

I think you need to read the whole quote in context instead of picking apart pieces.

He was addressing the score, not the judging membership . :P (Now some in the hornline, however, were a little more...direct. Not our finest hour.)