Time for Rifles to Go?

Should rifles stay or go?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like rifles to stay in the activity?

• yes
    • no

Whenever I show drum corps to anyone that is completely unfamiliar with the activity, two questions seem to come up pretty much every single time:

1) Why are they wearing those funny costumes (usually from non-Americans)?

2) Why are they throwing guns?

Given the fact that:

A ) Rifles make absolutely zero sense programmatically anymore

B ) Gun deaths among youth, particularly accidental, are the highest they have ever been

Isn't it time to change?

I am not suggesting that the activity outright bans them, but I am saying it isn't such a cool thing for young kids to potentially emulate (imagine the first news story of a young kid finding a real rifle, copying what they had seen, ending in tragedy).

In addition, there are at least 3,782,469 other possible things out there to spin (how many of them haven't even been thought up?). So, why spin something that not only makes zero sense, but it modeled after something designed to kill?

The activity has moved well beyond its military roots. It is time now to retire rifles in search of alternatives that are more creative, programmatically appropriate and socially responsible.

Oh for all that is holy!!!! As if the gun control argument itself has not been worn out, now we are talking about banning a "fake rifle shaped OBJECT" that is a part of our activity's tradition and not only that, but was originally intended to pay respect to the activity's military roots because you....(no you can't be serious).....because you......(no way, you must be joking)..........because you think that spinning a rifle somehow contributes to gun violence?

Dan, get out of the sun. It's frying your brain.

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012
  • Like 1

There is a difference between claiming something is politically incorrect or potentially dangerous/socially irresponsible.

Yes, those pieces of wood that are shaped like a rifle are definitely potentially dangerous. Someone could drop one on their head. Beginning to wonder if this has in fact happened to you.

• Like 1

I just noticed, while reading through this thread, there's a add on the page for Concealed Carry Magazine. Now THAT'S FUNNY.

• Like 1

Your comment about the color pre was funny. It's also an apt reminder of just how far the color guard concept has changed. The guard doesn't guard the colors in any traditional way any more. That being the case, it's valid to discuss whether we might consider alternatives to rifles and sabres - which really aren't rifles or sabres anyway.

HH

True, the color guard concept sure has changed. The activity has "evolved" to where the guard now dances, prances, and emotes. Yay !!

I just noticed, while reading through this thread, there's a add on the page for Concealed Carry Magazine. Now THAT'S FUNNY.

:spitting:

I doubt I am alone in finding the assertion that using rifles as guard equipment is dangerous/socially irresponsible to be absurd. The number of children of an age that would play with loaded weapons who have an awareness of color guard is minimal at best. Children with access to loaded weapons are going to play with them regardless, and know of much more interesting things to do with them than trying to spin and toss them. And when there is some sort of accident with a loaded weapon, it is the fault of the person who allowed access to the weapon, and no on else's.

You are certainly not alone.

I just think we need to figure out who these people are who would watch a drum corps show, see the guard spinning rifles, and then get the bright idea to go shoot someone (or to go find a real rifle to spin and accidentally shoot themselves). If these people really exist, then we need to find them and lock them in the looney bin. I'm not sure that they do exist though.

• Like 1

Whenever I show drum corps to anyone that is completely unfamiliar with the activity, two questions seem to come up pretty much every single time:

1) Why are they wearing those funny costumes (usually from non-Americans)?

2) Why are they throwing guns?

Given the fact that:

A ) Rifles make absolutely zero sense programmatically anymore

B ) Gun deaths among youth, particularly accidental, are the highest they have ever been

Isn't it time to change?

I am not suggesting that the activity outright bans them, but I am saying it isn't such a cool thing for young kids to potentially emulate (imagine the first news story of a young kid finding a real rifle, copying what they had seen, ending in tragedy).

In addition, there are at least 3,782,469 other possible things out there to spin (how many of them haven't even been thought up?). So, why spin something that not only makes zero sense, but it modeled after something designed to kill?

The activity has moved well beyond its military roots. It is time now to retire rifles in search of alternatives that are more creative, programmatically appropriate and socially responsible.

This has to be THEEE STUPIDEST post on DCP EVER!

• Like 1

I just think we need to figure out who these people are who would watch a drum corps show, see the guard spinning rifles, and then get the bright idea to go shoot someone (or to go find a real rifle to spin and accidentally shoot themselves). If these people really exist, then we need to find them and lock them in the looney bin. I'm not sure that they do exist though.

Exactly! The thought that the rifles drum corps and marching bands spin leads to violent behavior is absolutely absurd! STUPID! Just plain STUPID!

well, I'll be honest...he's only parroting what his mentor and idol made a stink about back in, what 2001?

usually when Dan gets an idea, it's easY to tracE where the ideA came from

ph34r.gif