Would if DIV 1 had no age limit only a age minimum like a pro sport?

I just had an intriquing thought. What if drum corps members DID get paid? What is each position in a corps worth? In an ideal world everyone would get paid the same, right? Shyeah, right. With the egos and cliquey nature of corps already you think a lead sop screacher is going to accept the same pay as a third? Me neither. I've only met one or two screamers without egos so big you can't get within five feet of their heads. ha ha, j/k. Ok, not really.

What would be the max and min? Would trumpets get paid more than contras or other low brass? Would section leaders get more?

Lead trumpet -$50k

2nd - $35k

3rd - $27k

Lead Mello - $40k

2nd - $35k

3rd - $27k

Lead Bari - $41k

2nd - $35k

3rd - $27k

Lead Euph - $43k

2nd - $35k

3rd - $27k

Lead Tuba - $40k

2nd - $35k

3rd - $27k

Snare captain - $50

Center snares - $45k

End snares - $35k

Tenor captain - $45k

Tenors - $40

Bass captain - $100k

Basses - $75k

Cymbal captain - $45k

Cymbals - $40k

Pit captain - $50

Marimbas - $45k

Vibes - $45k

Rack #####es - $24k

Drum Major - $50k

Backfield conductors - $27k

Heh heh, what do you think? Basses provide the beat for the corps, hence the large gap. Most important section!

Yeah, can you imagine the cliques that would develop now?

Food for thought.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying that DCI=NFL? If so, I have to go find out where my son's $8M salary went :P .

No, I was responding to the ridiculous comment from the person I quoted in my response that was comparing not allowing superstar players to play in the NFL until they are a certain age with not allowing drum corps members to be a part of the "no age limit" scenario we are discussing. Go back and read the post I quoted.

In all honesty, the age limit is a good thing. I marched, I loved it, I'm glad I aged-out. Drum corps is a young persons activity for a reason. Their bodies are much more able to take the constant, unending beating that drum corps is. Plus, we all need to start real life at some point. I don't think many people over the age of 21 could do it for this reason. College, getting a job, marriage, kids, etc.

It is not a bad thought, but I'm afraid I don't embrace it.

Just started teaching this week so I am a little behind on the board, but bear with me...

That makes total sense, you know, because kids are getting paid to march. :music:

I think what we are talking about here is some type of situation where performers are compensated for their time...in much the same way as actors or animators

Problem is, though, this is the prime recruiting base for DCA corps. From 21/22-40 is the VAST majority of DCA membership (with a few famous and not-so-famous exceptions)

You'd do damage to both II/III and DCA.

I disagree, we aren't talking about filling 50 corps with members here...I think it is more like half a dozen at most. My point is that there are plenty of marchers to go around...one not need fear for the the future of Drum Corps...

Someone mentioned older players not being able to play as well as a 20-30 year old. At 54 years old I'm playing the best I've ever played and I play cleaner than most DCI soprano soloists that I've heard.

I think you are referring to my post...Let me clarify I wasn't talking about musical abilities, I was talking about the physicality involved with a professional level ensemble.

The simple truth is; the money and interest isn't there to make it happen, professionally. There will never be enough interest and money to pay everyone involved because of the lack of interest which equals lack of sponsorship.

well not with that attitude :P

I just had an intriquing thought. What if drum corps members DID get paid? What is each position in a corps worth? In an ideal world everyone would get paid the same, right? Shyeah, right. With the egos and cliquey nature of corps already you think a lead sop screacher is going to accept the same pay as a third? Me neither. I've only met one or two screamers without egos so big you can't get within five feet of their heads. ha ha, j/k. Ok, not really.

What would be the max and min? Would trumpets get paid more than contras or other low brass? Would section leaders get more?

Lead trumpet -$50k

whoa! 50 grand for like 2 months of marching and playing???!???! holy crap! where can I sign up?? I wouldnt have to work the rest of the year!

how about something more reasonable for 2 months work...like 4-5k or something?

Maybe this could be the gateway to making corps more entertaining and mainstream?

Also, this would be unlike DCA in the respect that shows would be designed for performers in their prime...no offense, but a corps full of 20-30 year olds can move faster and play better than and all age corps can. If the show gets to be too demanding physically for a performer, maybe it would be time to retire into DCA...

Have you taken a look at today's DCA corps? Do you know what the average age is of the members? Its pretty young.......

One of the main reasons DCA corps don't go in to more complex shows is that it is a weekend only activity. A handful of DCA corps could handle a good deal of the difficulty in a DCI show if they had more time. Actually....quite a few corps played the same exact musical charts as the DCI corps.......

Have you taken a look at today's DCA corps? Do you know what the average age is of the members? Its pretty young.......

One of the main reasons DCA corps don't go in to more complex shows is that it is a weekend only activity. A handful of DCA corps could handle a good deal of the difficulty in a DCI show if they had more time. Actually....quite a few corps played the same exact musical charts as the DCI corps.......

I was told last year the Buccaneers could remove 20 or so people and qualify as a junior corps,....................you know there are other reasons for the youth belonging to DCA corps like:,..............DCI DIV I generally has members who can afford to be there,..................flights, camp charges, dues, tour fees, needing pocket money on tour, the ability to participate and not have to worry about a summer job,.................being away from family for a couple/few months, being able to participate in HS and college band programs that include summer camps and rehearsals,................with all age weekend only corps, you get your real life and drum corps all in one!

Lead trumpet -$50k

2nd - $35k

3rd - $27k

Lead Mello - $40k

2nd - $35k

3rd - $27k

Lead Bari - $41k

2nd - $35k

3rd - $27k

Lead Euph - $43k

2nd - $35k

3rd - $27k

Lead Tuba - $40k

2nd - $35k

3rd - $27k

Snare captain - $50

Center snares - $45k

End snares - $35k

Tenor captain - $45k

Tenors - $40

Bass captain - $100k

Basses - $75k

Cymbal captain - $45k

Cymbals - $40k

Pit captain - $50

Marimbas - $45k

Vibes - $45k

Rack #####es - $24k

Drum Major - $50k

Backfield conductors - $27k

Heh heh, what do you think? Basses provide the beat for the corps, hence the large gap. Most important section!

Yeah, can you imagine the cliques that would develop now?

Food for thought.

Of course, that's only the tip of the employment iceberg.

You have your trainers, physical therapists, message therapists, personal agents, etc, etc.

Then, since it's a professional sport, the guard has to be replaced by cheerleaders, (no guys).