Phantom Show ideas for next year

Oh I just don't like it. Actually, I don't think I've ever liked anything I've heard/played by Reed except for Russian Christmas Music. There's a lot of wind ensemble music that would work for drum corps fine (Terpsichore by Bob Margolis...someone has to do it, and I will keep saying it) but Alfred Reed is one of the last people I'd think to use. He's not even in my top 20 of favorite writers for wind ensemble. I know I know, I'm committing sacrilege for not liking Alfred Reed, but I just don't like it :(

Carolina Crown did Terpsichore in 1997

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does it matter if Regiment were to do one of these suggestions-- you'd all dog it and say it was dirty anyways.

Hee. :)

I know Teal Sound already did it a few years back, but what about a complete left turn and using tracks from Metallica's S&M album? It's already scored for orchestra (and rock band, true) - would certainly be a unique take on orchestral-style music. :)

Oh, and back in the real world of suggestions, 3 words:

Nevsky

Nevsky

Nevsky

Mike

I floated this in another thread, but I still like it:

A Muse of Fire

Music for Shakespeare

Opener Much Ado About Nothing - P Doyle

Ballad - some version of Romeo & Juliet

drum feature - Battle of Agincourt - Doyle

Closer-something from one of Verdi's operas

Love it! :doh: Don't forget Mendelsohn, "Midsummer's Night Dream." :music: If anybody is unfamiliar with this music, look it up--great stuff! If you've ever been in The Majestic Theatre in San Antonio, the decor on the walls and ceiling surrounding the stage look like the place was designed for this play/music! Amazing place! Not the greatest acoustics, but great atmosphere.

Music for Shakespeare...wow! Hamlet, MacBeth...maybe Lady MacBeth? Tchaik opera, yes? Been a while...some of the details of who wrote what escapes me. You young guys studying music remind me.

The Mendelsohn is equal parts dainty, equal parts bombastic--that unique quality that Phantom does better than anybody. I guess I should throw in that IMHO tag to that statement.

Technical. Musical. Technical and Musical. Check it out if you're not familiar with it!

And regarding the Resphigi...I've performed Resphigi...great piece...real fun for a low brass player...not good for Phantom in 98. I heard 'Pines' and kind of went, "WHAT!?" Left a bad taste in this alum's mouth before they even took the field. Completely different show than Star's. Had to be. But the problem was that Star's was so incredible that Phantom should have done something else...don't want to be the first corps to do it after Star. Geez, do Mahler. Do Verdi. Do Rutter Requiem for all I care, but don't do "Pines." That's about what I was thinking. 8th place. Must not have been far off.

Let me put it this way, Hroth...we read "Rite of Spring" at audition camp in 94. Not good arrangement. Would have been ugly. So ugly that when I showed up in December I was thinking, "If they put that in front of me again I'm walking out and going to Cadets." Apparently, they thought the same thing. Original idea was to do "Rite" and "Firebird." Great music, both. Great combination. Bad concept then. Same later with "Pines." Just bad concept from the get-go. And had we hacked up all over the field in 94 they probably wouldn't have done "Firebird" this year.

I'll take it. Oh, and the guys who marched 98/99 are on the same level as all the rest of us. I doubt there's an alum anywhere who would disagree with that statement. Great point, whoever made it.

I know Teal Sound already did it a few years back, but what about a complete left turn and using tracks from Metallica's S&M album? It's already scored for orchestra (and rock band, true) - would certainly be a unique take on orchestral-style music. :)

Oh, and back in the real world of suggestions, 3 words:

Nevsky

Nevsky

Nevsky

Mike

Im waiting till the day when I have a band good enough to do the 'battle on the ice' show ive been imagining for years. If regiment steals it from me, I might actually be mad :music:

There have been a lot of great suggestions thus far. I'd like to add one more: Ron Nelson's Passacaglia. It also deals with the BACH motif, but it's INTENSE. It reminds me a lot of the Shostakovich Ballet Suite that opened the 1996 show. It's a bummer to hear that Ron Nelson wasn't receptive to corps' playing his music. I'd also be interested to see how Phantom could do with Bernstein's First or Second Symphonies - they're dark, which fits Regiment's identity well.

There have been a lot of great suggestions thus far. I'd like to add one more: Ron Nelson's Passacaglia. It also deals with the BACH motif, but it's INTENSE. It reminds me a lot of the Shostakovich Ballet Suite that opened the 1996 show. It's a bummer to hear that Ron Nelson wasn't receptive to corps' playing his music. I'd also be interested to see how Phantom could do with Bernstein's First or Second Symphonies - they're dark, which fits Regiment's identity well.

I LOVE PASSACAGLIA! Yes yes yes!!!!