Most Intense Finals Performance

Not to toot my own horn (wow, there's a pun), but I think PR 03 got the crowd going pretty well.

Also, Madison 97 was definitely amazing. Off the top of my head - BD 94, PR 89, PR 96, PR 93...there have just been a lot of great shows.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't there is 2007 - judged on the Semis webcast and the Quarterfinals theater broadcast, I would guess Blue Devils, Phantom, Vanguard, and Crown (and something tells me a certain corps from Allentown, PA was pretty intense on Finals night too)

Phantom 2006 - A show with such a wide emotional range - BEAUTIFUL.

Vanguard 2005 - The finals night rain delay was clearly a blessing in disguise for them.

Blue Devils 2004 - This show GROOVED, and the crowd dug it, especially the new Finals night ending.

Vanguard 2004 - WOW - Adam Sage, Jim Casella, and Gino Cipriani - three Drum Corps powers combine to design/teach a killer show.

Blue Knights 2004 - Finals night at home, and their first Finals in 4 years - this experience had to have been special.

Phantom 2003 - The Finals week tag ending to the show took it to an entirely new level - you couldn't hear it in the crowd on Finals night.

Cavaliers 2002 - I don't know if intense is the word to describe this - cool, maybe? Regardless, the crowd went NUTS.

Crossmen 2002 - This show grooved quite a bit as well. They were too dirty to place any higher.

Magic 2002 - 7 show days in a row - these kids were exhausted, I'm sure, but they wanted to prove that Division II corps could compete with Division I.

Vanguard 2001 - New Era, enough said.

Phantom 2001 - Tommy Feagin's age-out summer, and they ended with Festive Overture! This was JD Shaw's first year with the hornline (I think?).

Cadets 2000 - The last three minutes are something that'll be remembered for a LONG time.

Boston 2000 - 1998 - No finals; 1999 - 9th place; 2000 - 5th place. Competitive rises like that just don't happen these days. It was pretty special to see.

Vanguard 1999 - 1997 - 3rd place; 1998 - 2nd place; 1999 - They wanted to do EVERYTHING they could to get to the top, and they did on Finals night.

Madison 1999 - Jesus Christ Superstar - a killer show for the home crowd.

Colts 1999 - LOTS of age-outs in the corps that summer from what I understand.

Vanguard 1998 - Who'da thought Copland wrote such intense music - it's not all Appalachian Spring and Rodeo, apparently.

Cavaliers 1998 - 50th Anniversary, and a quick rebound from that 7th place finish in 1997.

Glassmen 1998 - The Darlings of DCI that year.

Madison 1997 - Madison Scouts + Pirates = AWESOME.

Crossmen 1997 - Niner-Two and Birdland. What's not to like? Plus, their color guard was AMAZING that year.

Phantom 1996 - 4th to 1st in three nights - THAT'S intensity if I've ever seen it.

Madison 1995 - Madison Scouts + Bull Fighting = AWESOME.

Cadets 1993 - They knew how close that year was, and they weren't gonna lie down and die. GREAT show.

Star 1993 - Possibly the angriest DCI show ever fielded (BK 2002 rivals ^0^ ). They were out to prove something that year, and did.

Phantom 1993 - Ever hear that phrase "Any other year?" Yeah, that applies here.

Cavaliers 1992 - They were hungry for their first championship, and they got it.

Cadets 1992 - One of their greatest late season surges.

Crossmen 1992 - Just a neat show.

Vanguard 1992 - Fiddler on the Roof one more time for Gail Royer. That was a special night for the Vanguard.

That's all I'm listing for now. Some of the more experienced fans, I'm sure, have more to contribute.

2000 SCV - magical, along with 2005.

1987 SCV, the standard.

1991 Blue Devils was just as intense as anything that night, along with 1991 Phantom Regiment.

Speaking of Phantom Regiment, you cant go wrong with 1987, 1991, 1993, and 1995.

Cavaliers ? 1981.....

1981 was a good year if you can get the Montreal recordings. Scouts, Lancers, Bridgemen, Crossmen, Spirit.

1982 Blue Devils.

There are way too many.

1989 Bluecoats and Freelancers

1983 Suncoast Sound/1984 Suncoast Sound

~G~

edited to include 1999 Madison Scouts, the crowd was in a frenzy that night. As you looked around everyone was smiling, yelling and giddy !! LOL

Edited by GMichael1230

I do know SCV did in 1982. The crowd was so loud the corps had a hard time hearing each other on the field.

It had been rumored all summer long (and this was before the Internet) that SCV was bringing back the Bottle Dance. Needless to say, they brought the house down......and probably lost their chance of winning because of the sound phasing.

It was after teh 11:30 gun.....the phasing did nothing to the score, as music judging was finished....and I don;t think the crowd noticed it, since they were going collectively berserk....which was GE baby!!

The phasing was set up not when the crowd lost it, but because Mike Zapanta lost the count....watch the vid...you can see him pause a beat....half teh corps followed him, half followed the tempo he'd set up.

I do know SCV did in 1982. The crowd was so loud the corps had a hard time hearing each other on the field.

It had been rumored all summer long (and this was before the Internet) that SCV was bringing back the Bottle Dance. Needless to say, they brought the house down......and probably lost their chance of winning because of the sound phasing.

In those days, execution was only judged for the first 11 1/2 minutes, but GE was judged until the end of the show. There was a gun at the 11:30 mark, the execution judges would raise their clipboards to signal that they were done and leave the field. Then the corps would do a "re-entry" and let it all out. Nice way to end the show.

In any case, nobody was going to beat BD that year.

p.s. even though SCV raised the roof (er, half roof :)), the most intense performance that night was Garfield. Their soloist (Al Chez) hit a triple F in the opening fanfare and the rest of the show was on fire. I think they moved up from 5th to 3rd, passing Madison and Phantom. Awesome.

Edited by vferrera

For anyone that was there in '75, how big was the crowd response at the end of Madison's show?

For anyone that was there in '75, how big was the crowd response at the end of Madison's show?

I guess I'm qualified to answer this question since I was on the back sideline from their closer to the end of the show.

It was absolute pandemonium from the company front in "The Way We Were" to the release of the last note of their show. Flash cubes (that'll throw off the youngins) going off like crazy and the kind of complete spontaneous standing ovation that you just don't see anymore.

Although I still have a hard time accepting that they were the best corps on the field that night (that's just the competitor in me), there is absolutely no denying they had the most dominant horn line and the most G.E. packed show. You could lose track of all the standing ovations that show evoked but by memory I would say it had at least six. :doh:

Edited by Russellrks

I marched SCV in 82 so I'm VERY familiar with finals night. I don't think we would have caugth BD even if the Bottle Dance was perfect but I do think we could have been a lot closer if we would have just kept cleaning our show the last week or so instead of spending so much time on the Bottle Dance.

Didn't the judging stop before the Bottle Dance started though? Either way, no one was touching BD that year.

I marched SCV in 82 and the plan was to have the gun go off before we went into any of the changes for the Bottle Dance but the opener and Slava were a little fast so the field judges got to judge the 10-15 seconds of the new drill/music. The field judging stopped at the gun but all of the judges in the box kept on judging/wincing/cringing.

Chuck

I'll never forget the crowd reaction after Cavaliers 1995 nailed "Mars" to the wall. My jaw dropped and I looked at a couple people in the stands I knew (with other corps affiliations) and they just looked at me dumbfounded. Frankly, I didn't feel that for the remainder of the show to that level, but by the end of the opener, it really didn't matter.

I also remember feeling the crowd particularly coming alive during SCV 1999 ("The Canyon"), Garfield Cadets 1994 ("West Side Story") and Blue Devils 1994 ("My Spanish Heart.")