Retreat Songs

In 1975, Cavaliers played "Time Odyssey 7534," an original piece in constantly shifting multiple meters of, well, 7, 5, 3 and 4. We used it for finales whenever the corps was playing other corps on the field. Yeah, it was a supposed to be a harmless joke as we were the only ones who knew how to march to it. I've always wondered what the other corps thought.

St Rita's played The West Point Alma Mater.

A very touching refrain…

G

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that my suspension is up!!! I don't know how I was able to get on with life, but that is another story.

How about The Boston Crusaders at the 1965 Eastern Mass. Finals Championship which was held in Malden.

Ed Denon taught the corps the song "Feed the Birds" from the movie Mary Poppins. This was to be played at retreat win or lose.

Who do think won? Boston by over 8 points.

This song was to be played for the St. Mary's Cardinals from Beverly, Mass.

Since Boston was on its way to winning their 3rd cons. championship they were the last corps to leave the field. By the way Boston won the Eastern Mass. Championship in 63,64,65,66,67,68.69 and I believe 70. Not a bad record!!!!

As Boston left the field and the sun was setting, they marched up the streets of Malden and found the "Cardinals" and serenaded them in concert formation, and upon finishing "Feed The Birds" march playing the famous fanfare and playing "I wish you Love"!!!!

There was not love lsot between these two corps.

Just thinking of the good old days!!!!

CODI

Memories of fall drum corps while enjoying a picture postcard early fall afternoon yesterday up here in Boston. Yes, there was a time when the drum corps field competition lasted into late Sept. and sometimes early Oct. Afternoon contests with crisp air and the beginnings of turning leaves contrasting with the lush green of the contest field. Packed stands with sweater clad spectators and creeping shadows as the competing corps ended the season with vintage performances. Not only did the field competition extend back then way beyond the Nationals but also it existed with surprisingly competitive contests and full corps complements. Unfortunately this regular part of the drum corps experience is gone lost forever to high school band contests and NFL football on HD TV. There was the CYO 2 day music festival held in Boston’s beautiful Franklin Park high school stadium. The festival was as much a part of the early fall music scene as apple picking and leaf peeping. For 2 days the spectacle went on from early morning until late afternoon in a setting right out of a Norman Rockwell painting. Besides the competitive CYO top drum corps there was also the class A1 bands who were just as popular as the drum corps at the time. St. Kevin’s against the Cardinals or the heated St. Williams/St. Agnes Class A Band rivalry the competition was always fierce. The stadium was always packed on both sides and the weather always beautiful. Later in September the Eastern Mass. Circuit finals would be held this time with the same fall pageantry usually under perfect blue skies. Dominated by the Boston Crusaders the contest was always a perfect way to end the season. Following victory year after year the Crusaders being last to leave the field would exit the stadium and march up the main street of Malden, their horns and drums roaring bringing traffic to a halt as they headed to their busses a good mile from the stadium itself.

Dear JMS:

Yes, those were great days at "White Stadium"!! It was in the Franklin Park area of Dorchester, but the stadium was best known for some great high school football, both public and private.

At the beginning of the year the field would be pristine, but by the time Thanksgiving Day arrived and Eastie and Southie played it was a mud bowl.

On the 2nd weekend in Sept., the CYO Championships would beheld on Saturday and Sunday.

On Saturday you would have the following!!!!

Class C Drum and Bugle Corps

Class C Bands

Class C Drill Teams

Class B Drum and Bugle Corps

Class B Bands

Class B Drill Teams.

Then on Sunday Morning the heavy hitters would hit the line and there would not be a seat empty at White Stadium!!!!

Class A Drum and Bugle Corps.

St. Kevin's

St. Mary's Cardinals

St. Mary's Majestic Knights

I. C. Reveries

St. Rose

Holy Trinity

St. Catherine's "Debs"(All Girl)

I. C. Winchester

Sir Thomas More

I. C. Rockettes (All Girl)

The Drill Teams consisted:

Belles of St. Mary's Hull, Mass.

St. Anthony's Allston, Mass.

Sacred Heart Roslindale, Mass.

St. Anthony's Everett, Mass.

St. Therese Everett, Mass.

The Bands were:

St. Williams of Dorchester, the only band ever to appear at the National Dream Contest in New Jersey

St. Anges of Arlington, taught by Ed Denon, of the Boston Crusaders

St. Peters of South Boston

St. Thomas of J.P. The first band to upset St. Williams in many, many years.

It was quite the weekend, and it would not end early evening.

The following weekend was "The Eastern Mass. Drum and Bugle Championship"!!!

This was held on one day,and one of the great venues was Pearl Street Stadium in Malden, Mass.

Once again they would start out with the Class C and B D/B and Drill teams early in the AM.

Then at 1PM the heavy hitters took the field!!!

Boston Crusaders

Cambridge Cabs

St. Mary's Cardnials

St. Mary's Majestic Knights

I.C. Reveries

Braintree Warriors

The South Boston "Gatesmen"

Holy Trinity "Cadets"

Peabody Musk

I. C. Rockettes

Norwood "Debs"

Cambridge Cabs

Finally on the last weekend in September, yes that is right, the last weekend in Sept. Mayflower Circuit would hold their finals.

Many of the above corps would be competing, and they would all have full corps.

Just imagine drum corp in late September.

Now you are lucky to have 20 corps through out the country, and the activity is over August 10!!

Yes, JMS those were the days, and we would look forward to Veterans Day Parade in Boston to see who would be the big leader in the Parade!!

Would it be Boston, would it be SKEK, how about St. Mary's Beverly, or would Charlestown pull a surprise.

It always seemed to be Boston!!!!!!

Just thinking of the good old days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

CODI

Back in the day, Blue Devils would often use Chase the Clouds Away. Freelancers would play Belavia, SCV and Clowns. 27th Lancers and Danny Boy.

My all time favorite retreat moment was '76 finals. The Scouts were the defending '75 champions, and had just fallen short. Madison was playing themselves off to You'll Never Walk Alone, and the soprano soloist turned and played not to the crowd, but to the Blue Devils. By that time the field was largely empty, and the wonderful sound of that soprano just reverberated throughout the stadium.

Classic moment if there ever was one. Madison is always a class act.

Phantom and that low brass playing "National Emblem March".

It's already been mentioned, but Glassmen and their "Just A Gigilo".

I don't remember what year it was, but at DCM they decided all of the corps were going to play "You'll Never Walk Alone" en masse.

It's already been mentioned, but Glassmen and their "Just A Gigilo".

Yeah, we got to play that for you a few times, being several places behind you when you marched. :D

I believe that if you go back to the 1962 recording of VFW Nationals of Fleetwood recording, you will here part of the retreat, or pass in review.

If I am not mistaken, you will hear SKEK playing "Voice Of The Guns" from "Lawrence of Arabia" !!!!

"Just thinking of the good old days!!!!"

CODI