What changes would you make to improve drum corps?

Celebrity Judges

Cut the two GE captions from 20 to 15 points. The remaining ten points will be assigned to two celebrity judges (5 points each).

Celebrity judges will be influential people in the arts, entertainment, business and political arenas. Each celebrity judge can only judge once per season, and must be seeing all competing corps for the first time (i.e. all "first reads").

Celebrity judges will give scores from 0.0 to 5.0 in 0.1 increments, with no guidance or restrictions on "numbers management" from DCI. They will be allowed to adjust their scores as the show proceeds, submitting all scores after the final performance. A celebrity judge may or may not submit comments to the corps, at their option.

Advantages:

1. Boosts DCI's visibility via exposure to influential people.

2. Parity - stirs the competitive pot, reduces slotting, generates more suspense.

3. Encourages show design for mass appeal, rather than just the DCI judging community.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Celebrity Judges

Cut the two GE captions from 20 to 15 points. The remaining ten points will be assigned to two celebrity judges (5 points each).

3. Encourages show design for mass appeal, rather than just the DCI judging community.

Would that be similar to putting the Spirit of Disney Award on the sheets and giving it points?

Celebrity Judges

Celebrity judges will be influential people in the arts, entertainment, business and political arenas. Each celebrity judge can only judge once per season, and must be seeing all competing corps for the first time (i.e. all "first reads").

Celebrity judges will give scores from 0.0 to 5.0 in 0.1 increments, with no guidance or restrictions on "numbers management" from DCI. They will be allowed to adjust their scores as the show proceeds, submitting all scores after the final performance. A celebrity judge may or may not submit comments to the corps, at their option.

Advantages:

1. Boosts DCI's visibility via exposure to influential people.

2. Parity - stirs the competitive pot, reduces slotting, generates more suspense.

This is something along the lines of a thread I opened up recently, but didn't seem to pick up any traction...

Guest Evaluator, Expanding the Concept of Adjudication

I've taken the liberty of dropping your post in that thread, as it might stimulate some discussion on what could be an interesting topic.

Bring back the tic. In today's fast paced drill combined with complex musical books it might make it harder to adjudicate but it also sets the bar very high.

When combined with random appearance order....hmmmm

ESPN2 should have a half hour weekly recap during the season with a featured performance (2-3 minutes) each episode. And tape delay is killing finals viewership.

Edited by Bleu Raeder

some sort of draft cap.

like.. "okay, blue devils you guys won this year. you can't start the audition process until mid-january. Spirit, you can start in september if you want. Pioneer.. why haven't you started practices yet?"

i dunno. just something to break up the present top-three syndrome.

Do you really think the better candidates will not wait until the top corps hold auditions? Spirit might be a bad example because many members will come from the college affiliation. Your suggestion might only work if there was a mass fantasy-type draft. What a cluster that would be!

Decreased GE impact on scoring.

Increase impact of brass, percussion and guard performance on scores.

Change scoring to judge perforance rather than design in every caption.

Consider difficulty in scoring for all captions.

Consider cleanliness or penalize mistakes in all performance captions.

Fully utilize the uniqueness of the brass and percussion instruments, it's our identityand it seems we've significantly discounted it.

Have everyone auditioning for a corps complete a register form with DCI. Each corps can claim a limited number of registrants (to fill their line plus possibly a few alternates) before a certain date and everyone else could be recruited for another corps.\

Eliminate amplified vocals.

Have to go - the wife just showed up at work an I need to look like I'm working.

Wouldn't difficulty be part of the DESIGN? Seems like you're contradicting yourself here, or am I missing something?

No; imagine flubbing something hard, and something easy. Flubbing the hard stuff loses fewer points than the easy. Nothing about design. Judge recognizes the attempt was difficult material or not, and scores accordingly.

I would love to see DCI World Championships at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, PA, where the Philadelphia Eagles play.

Here is some more information:

http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/nfc/LincolnFinancialField.htm

http://www.lincolnfinancialfield.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Financial_Field

EDIT: I know finals are in the new Lucas Oil Staidum in Indianapolis, IN for the next ten years, I'm just saying I would like to see it in Philly. World Championships haven't been in Philadelphia since 1976, at Franklin Field.

Edited by MikeBishop