DCI Sattelite radio I am totally Sirius about this!

Got a contact? I've got a really great new product idea for them but can't seem to get through. Something about not wanting me to sue them if they grab my idea and don't give me credit. Danged corporations! What did I get the MBA for anyways?

Nope. No Contact. :)

But, as I said (or perhaps implied?) before, to go about getting this off the ground, doesn't someone have to contact the host to find out how to get a channel? I would think that preliminarily, there would need to be an information gathering phase before creating a proposal, no? And, since there is limited accessibility of satellite providers (XM/Sirius - soon to be merged), wouldn't there be a need to get the how-to's from them?

And, yeah - darn those Corporations!

That's all I was suggesting.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

beaver?? remember that part in Naked Gun????? :P

Leslie Neilson - mmmm Nice Beaver!

Priscilla Presley - Thanks, I just had it stuffed

LOL :P ^0^

Let's add up some points here... not saying it couldn't work, but some thoughts...

First, DCI has only so much programming in its possession. By my basic estimation, about 6 days worth that would be worth putting on the air. We're talking finalists, a few semis... ok. I guess that could be ok. That really means that if you mixed it well by day, you wouldn't get tons of reruns.

Next, do all the fans want to hear stuff from 1974? Probably not. Not a dis, but there's always a bias towards more familiar stuff. Still, could get around it.

OTOH, not all fans would want to listen to the shows of the past few years. If DCI was to broadcast the shows they would have use ALL THE YEARS, not the the past couple years. In fact, DCI does have in it's faults shows from pre-DCI (yes, drum corps existed long before DCI...believe it or not :laugh: ).

DCI would need to do something similar to what Diceman radio does. He mixes ALL the years of drum corps. You make it like there should be a pre-DCI drum corps station, a 70's drum corps station, an 80's drum corps station, etc. etc.

OTOH, not all fans would want to listen to the shows of the past few years. If DCI was to broadcast the shows they would have use ALL THE YEARS, not the the past couple years. In fact, DCI does have in it's faults shows from pre-DCI (yes, drum corps existed long before DCI...believe it or not :satisfied: ).

DCI would need to do something similar to what Diceman radio does. He mixes ALL the years of drum corps. You make it like there should be a pre-DCI drum corps station, a 70's drum corps station, an 80's drum corps station, etc. etc.

I'm just being careful, and not assuming that DCI would have the rights to play those shows. Maybe they would...

BTW, in case you guys also missed this... there's that whole RIAA business on internet broadcasting law thingy... despite DCI doing the tunes, they'd still have to pay massive royalties. For example, if you were to play Madison's show last year, you'd be liable for 7 different royalty payments for each listener. That alone would be prohibitive.

Start a drum corps radio/television network for regular television and radio...I'd like that better

hmmmm...drum corps radio station...i would listen to it 24/7. dont know how hard that would be to get on air tho...

</TOPIC>

Thank you for posting that, drumcat. After having my station on the air for 6 years (the top ska station and one of the leading reggae stations), I'm in danger of shutting down because of the Copyright Royalty Board's ruling which will increase royalty rates from 300 to 1,200% (we already pay double what satellite radio pays). It is supposed take effect July 15 although Live365 has already infomed it's broadcasters that it won't shut down until SoundExchange forces them to. Some of the increases will be retroactive to January 2006:

Internet radio DJs are replacing their eclectic playlists with a "Day of Silence" today (June 26), a protest against new royalty rates they say could decimate the fledgling digital broadcasting industry.Earlier this year, a congressionally appointed three-judge panel drastically increased the royalty fees the stations must pay for music streamed over the Internet. Critics say the rates, which would be retroactive to 2006, will make it impossible for small stations, public broadcasters and specialty startups that cater to the industry to stay in business. The new rates are scheduled to go into effect July 15.

"For us, the royalties went from $20,000 to $600,000 per year," said Rusty Hodge, whose 11-channel SomaFM Web site was launched in 2000 and operates in San Francisco's Mission District. "That's about three times the total income we made in 2006. We're not getting rich off of this."

The move would have a particularly strong impact on the Bay Area, and not just because of the region's large number of local DJs who broadcast Internet radio shows to a handful of fans. Live365 Inc., which claims to be the world's largest Internet radio network with thousands of stations and 4 million listeners per month, is based in Foster City. Pandora.com, a rapidly expanding service that lets users create radio stations that cater to their likes, was founded in San Francisco.

Today's protest comes after a decision in March by the Copyright Royalty Board, which ruled that starting July 15, Internet radio stations will be charged based on the number of their listeners. Previously, the stations paid a percentage of their revenue. Internet radio providers are governed by different rules than radio stations, which don't have to pay performing artists when they play their songs.

The "Day of Silence" was created in support of the proposed Internet Radio Equality Act, which was introduced in Congress in May. If passed, the bill would overturn the royalty board's decision and restore rates as a flat percentage of revenues.

SF Chronicle

CALL YOUR REPS NOW!!!

<TOPIC>

Edited by skajerk

• 1 month later...

Are you ready for it I am. I was driving home today and surfing through my satellite radio thinking why couldn't there be a DCI sattelite radio option. It could have music from both DCI and DCA. There could be interviews, bets of's, Ad's from sponsors, discussion forums and more music. There could be show re-caps in the summer, DCA and BOA re-caps in the Fall. WGI stuff in the winter. I have space on pre-sets already set aside for this I just need DCI to hop on board!

What do you think? IF there were such a thing would you subscribe? How many listeners does DCI think they could add to the Sirius coffers? Is this viable?

Are you ready for it I am. I was driving home today and surfing through my satellite radio thinking why couldn't there be a DCI sattelite radio option. It could have music from both DCI and DCA. There could be interviews, bets of's, Ad's from sponsors, discussion forums and more music. There could be show re-caps in the summer, DCA and BOA re-caps in the Fall. WGI stuff in the winter. I have space on pre-sets already set aside for this I just need DCI to hop on board!

What do you think? IF there were such a thing would you subscribe? How many listeners does DCI think they could add to the Sirius coffers? Is this viable?

It's been debated, and it's really not viable. A staff of at least 4 people of talent, engineering, etc., and you have at least $300,000 in costs. Sirius would have to give up a channel, and it would be that odd quality of a 64kbps mp3 (well, it's not mp3, but it's equivalent). So if you assume that Sirius or XM would give up a channel, big if... then you have to have roughly 25,000 new subscribers get signed up to make it make sense, assuming that an entire dollar per month goes toward the station. Given that there's actually 80ish stations and other big talent - aka Stern and his contract, sports leagues, etc. - you would be very hard pressed to account for that. Equally distributed, the contribution is more like 15c/mo per subscriber, meaning 175,000 more subscribers to break even.... seeing where this goes?

this is like the ten billionth time this has been brought up, too much money