Anyone seen/heard the Mapex drums due out next year?

cwallace600

Jupiter has announced a partnership with Mapex and Majestic called the Quantum Marching Project, and they "anticipate several high-ranking DCI corps to be performing on these new instruments for the 2008 season.” However, there is currently no info on these new instruments on the Quantum website.

Anybody got any inside information? :doh:

Jupiter has announced a partnership with Mapex and Majestic called the Quantum Marching Project, and they "anticipate several high-ranking DCI corps to be performing on these new instruments for the 2008 season.” However, there is currently no info on these new instruments on the Quantum website.

Anybody got any inside information? :doh:

I found a supposed picture of one of the snares on another site. Here's the link. It looks like a Pearl FFX with the stabilizers and MTS strainer from a Yamaha and the bottom strainer of a Dynasty.

I found a supposed picture of one of the snares on another site. Here's the link. It looks like a Pearl FFX with the stabilizers and MTS strainer from a Yamaha and the bottom strainer of a Dynasty.

Interesting. It looks like they used die-cast hoops too. While I prefer Yamaha snares slightly over Pearls, that's one thing Pearl did right...using machined hoops instead of die-cast. At least that's my humble opinion. :doh:

Thanks for the link!

Clay...what up, bro?

A friend has a Mapex drum set. It's a "good" quality set, but nothing spectacular or extraordinary. It seemed they realized a market for a "good" quality set for people who needed that, without jumping into a Yamaha, Tama or Sonor drum set right off the bat.

How that will translate to a marching snare drum, tenors and basses suggests medium quality for lower budget programs in my opinion. But I suppose anything could happen. If they predict "several high ranking DCI corps" using this product, they sure better be able to deliver on that, because that type of claim can be shot down in one short summer.

I'm wondering if the intention is to utilize the Mapex shell production capability, and upgrade the shell component wood from what they use on their drum sets.

Edited by GGarrett

Chris Hankes has been working to bring this product to fruition over the past year. I believe Irondale HS from New Brighton is the only artist using the products at this time, but there is going to be a major release in the next year that you all will want to check out. From everything I have heard they are building these things the right way and not mixing together a bunch of parts bought from other companies.

I'm quite sure that Pearl and Mapex are made in the same factory, so we'll most likely see some resemblance in the products.

I'm quite sure that Pearl and Mapex are made in the same factory, so we'll most likely see some resemblance in the products.

Yea that's Japan for you. Most ( not all) of small parts/nuts and bolts are out sourced to Taiwan and different companies use some of the same small parts to make their own unique products. I live here and see it everyday in everything from the pearl/tama/yamaha drum sticks to after market auto motive parts.