Muchachos 1975

Thanks, Tom.

We used the Dark Blue Paiste Color Sound Cymbals in 1985.

BD used the same colors as the wings (Purple, Aqua, and Pink I think).

Lancers used Black.

I don't recall Red. :sleeping:

I know Cavaliers used red. I thought VK had, too. Oops. (Loks like I need to get that picture out for reals.)

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. What could have happened did happen. We gave perhaps the best performance in the history of the corps that day. No electronics, I bet we beat them anyway.

My memory is foggy, but I seem to remember that Knights were threatened w/ disqualification for electonics back mid/late 80s. Or was it Colts or CR Emerald Knights?

My memory is foggy, but I seem to remember that Knights were threatened w/ disqualification for electonics back mid/late 80s. Or was it Colts or CR Emerald Knights?

That was us. In 86, we played album rock and a little fusion, so we miked our keyboards and had a set of Simmons pads and a sound board, controlled by Yours Truly. After taking a voluntary 2 point penalty in the first two or three weekends of DCM competition, DCM and DCI informed us that the mandatory penalty was voluntary and at their discretion, and they were reserving the right to disqualify us from any show on the DCI tour if we kept using them. So we got rid of them. I think our new drum guy, Pat Petrillo, just wanted to stir up some #### and get us some free publicity while it was there.

During the early/mid 70's seasons, I was just your basic pimple in the Americano hornline - and a major fan of the Muchachos, hehe! They played the same style of music as we did, but man, they were awesome. We had a horrible financial situation towards the end of '75, cut our season short, basically folded. I was devistated to hear how the Muchachos season ended - with our loss, I had hoped they would do what we never would come close to doing. Hellfire, I'd imagine they had never heard of the Americanos, but we knew of them.

A couple decades later, tons of recordings of tons of corps, adrenelin-pumping and tear-jerking shows, enjoying them all, but... I still love those 1974-75 Muchacho shows the best.

Thanks, all of you, for your stories. Pages upon pages of enjoyable reading!

Edited by Tin Guardian

I know Cavaliers used red. I thought VK had, too. Oops. (Loks like I need to get that picture out for reals.)

I cannot believe I could not remember the 800 pairs of RED color sound cymbal used by Cavaliers (guard + cymbal line). :thumbup:

The end of a great drum corps.

Sadly, many corps were marching overage members for years before and even after. But had DCI not DQ them maybe that would be around today. "Woulda, shoulda, coulda"

I know that one corps was marching overage members in 1976 and they were in top 8.

Sounds eerily similar to the effects the "death penalty" had on SMU football...never the same again.

They were singled out because the Cavaliers director, Don Warren, decided he was going to take it upon himself to clean up the activity, for the sake of God and Country, and went after the particular individual in the Muchachos because he had gotten a tip off on some information by someone who knew the guy.

Of course Warren would NEVER have done something like that simply to try and gain a competitive edge. That would be out of the question. </sarcasm>

I agree with you, the penalty was too stiff, and always have been too stiff. I've been there and been burned by that in 1977.

Essentially disqualifying the corps for overage is punishing the kids because their adult leadership are unscrupulous, irresponsible, a-holes. In any overage action taken to date, the action was a direct result of a corps' leadership willfully violating, or taking it upon themselves to independently make an interpretation of the rules that ran contrary to the intent of the majority ... Yet the kids got punished.

Ban the Director for life, make them stipulate to paying PERSONAL fines (that don't come out of corps budgets), but don't #### the kids over because the adults are morally bereft or ethically bankrupt.

The corps directors who have prosecuted these offenses for purely competitive gains are equally worthy of contempt.

For those of you who have never experienced a disqualification first hand, from the field, with the kids and support staff of the corps affected by it, let me tell you it is not something that you ever want to see happen. It is a disaster whose impact is immediate, devastating, and brings with it both short and long-term physical and psychological damage the likes of which you couldn't possibly understand unless you were there.

To the pundits that keep dragging this #### up: It is not a matter that should be fodder for speculation, conjecture, or debate, or in the sickest instances, black humor, and will never be to those of us who have lived it. Try to keep that in mind when you're dragging up some of the ugliest moments of young adulthood for those of us who have been there while you are looking for chit-chat to pass your off-season boredom.

Still involved with this topic I see. What did you say a few pages ago about "re-hashing"?