Mini Corps Reports?

I bought mine from someone at DCI East in Allentown, he was the mastermind behind them but i haven't seen them anywhere since! Might be some on-line on e-bay or somewhere :)

I'll ask Charlie (the older gentleman that was wearing the shirt in question), the odering info was on the shirt.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mini-corps competition from start to finish was amazing! I truly enjoyed the Pembroke Imperials and I was not disappointed with Star United. I sat through them all and they all brought something different to the stage. Did some perform to a higher musical caliber than others...yes. Were some cleaner than others...yes. Were some stacked with DCA HOF legends and soloists who are, IMHO, more professional than some of the so-called professionals out there...yes. Were some small and some large...yes. Were some nervous and just excited to be among the 18 corps who performed...yes(Excelsior!!!). Was there jazz, and classical, and rock, and pop, and drum corps classics!....yes. Did some have M&M built in and other just circle up and jam...yes. Was it great!....absolutely. It is in the differences between the corps that make this venue among the most popular of the weekend.

BUT...all deserve to be commended, all deserve to be celebrated and all deserve much praise for a job well done.

Thank you for the very nice words Excelsior PR Manager! You are too kind!

Sincerely,

John Stark Director - Pembroke Imperials.

And how many would you limit it to?

Well, if 18 worked.....then perhaps 18 should be the limit. Any more than that, and we're bursting at the seams.

My apologies if I came across as a bit short-temperered..... I just get this feeling sometimes that some folks (not you, Tom) treat the I&E show as a place where the rules don't seem to matter as much as they do at the field competition.... and that we're in some sort of alternative universe where we can accomodate everyone.

Fran

Well, if 18 worked.....then perhaps 18 should be the limit. Any more than that, and we're bursting at the seams.

My apologies if I came across as a bit short-temperered..... I just get this feeling sometimes that some folks (not you, Tom) treat the I&E show as a place where the rules don't seem to matter as much as they do at the field competition.... and that we're in some sort of alternative universe where we can accomodate everyone.

Fran

Perhaps Friday night could be designated for I&E and "Large Brass Ensemble", and Saturday night could host mini corps at the stadium. Something needs to be considered as the "return of mini corps" movement is growing. B)

I agree Kev. DCA has to come to grips with the fact that there will be more 'full movement' minicorps and that the 'concert' style venue simply does not work. A performing arts venue where the audience has the 'up' look will be necessary. Also, a major attempt to rectify the sheet criteria is paramount.

Let's face it.....that 'park & bark' corps are fantastic, but a certain corps pushed the envelope with a steady 9.5 minutes of music (non-stop) and a full drill. That corps also had a full battery of 3 and a pit of 2 mallets.....the ONLY corps out there to do so. Hmmmmmmm.........I believe that there was no credit given for "demand" or the full percussion.

If anyone has a problem with what I'm saying please feel free to flame on..........I'm entitled to my opinion as one with a vested interest..........

Perhaps Friday night could be designated for I&E and "Large Brass Ensemble", and Saturday night could host mini corps at the stadium. Something needs to be considered as the "return of mini corps" movement is growing. B)

.........I believe that there was no credit given for "demand" or the full percussion.

If I remember correctly Jim, we didn't get credit for the two fantastic mallet players who played the entire show ... since the sheet was checked "not applicable" in the keyboards box. <**>

If I remember correctly Jim, we didn't get credit for the two fantastic mallet players who played the entire show ... since the sheet was checked "not applicable" in the keyboards box. <**>

I'll chime in here with only the following: IMO, this is one great reason for the existence of the MCA. An outside organization such as the MCA that has at least 3/4 of the competing mini-corps involved could continue to push the activity in the direction that everyone wants to go. It was my understanding that the first MCA season, everyone agreed to use the DCA sheets. Perhaps over time, with groups like Xtreme, Mass Brass, Eagles, Ghost, Erie, etc. the Mini activity will evolve to where everyone wants it to go.

Just a little side note: Drills, battery and such as what Xtreme did are not new to the activity. Many corps have done it in the past. Erie was real big on not having a trap set player for the longest time and made sure they put out a battery every year. In 2000 or 2001 (I think - little fuzzy on the year) we (Eagles) did a 20 set drill to our second song. The point is that we got creamed because the DCA sheets are not set up that way. They will credit you should the drill and such add to your crowd appeal (or whatever caption they call it). So we (meaning most corps) molded to the best possible set-up to have a shot at the top under the current sheets.

Anyways, just spouting off a bit - No offense to anyone... :grouphug:

Guys, your points are well-taken.... and again I apologize for sounding like such a grouch about all this!

You're right..... DCA, and I guess MCA too, will need to make some decisions about the future format of the mini-corps show that is part of the DCA I&E event.

I'd hate to be the person who tells a mini-corps that they can't come because there are already too many entries. But perhaps some day, a tough decision like that will have to be made. There are time and venue constraints to be considered.

Just an idea here.......someone suggested to me during the weekend that Prelims could be held starting Saturday morning (like they used to be), with the Alumni show Saturday night.... and Finals Sunday night. That would leave Sunday morning/early afternoon open.... perhaps mini-corps could fit there? The rest of the I&E show could be held as scheduled on Friday night. Again, just an opinion from someone (me) in the peanut gallery.

And please remember.... no matter what decisions are made...... the I&E/mini-corps show is a DCA event, and at the end of the day, all of those who enter will need to abide by the rules set down by DCA. Ya can't please everyone.

Heck, if I have to follow DCA rules, then so do you! :P

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

I agree Kev. DCA has to come to grips with the fact that there will be more 'full movement' minicorps and that the 'concert' style venue simply does not work. A performing arts venue where the audience has the 'up' look will be necessary. Also, a major attempt to rectify the sheet criteria is paramount.

Let's face it.....that 'park & bark' corps are fantastic, but a certain corps pushed the envelope with a steady 9.5 minutes of music (non-stop) and a full drill. That corps also had a full battery of 3 and a pit of 2 mallets.....the ONLY corps out there to do so. Hmmmmmmm.........I believe that there was no credit given for "demand" or the full percussion.

If anyone has a problem with what I'm saying please feel free to flame on..........I'm entitled to my opinion as one with a vested interest..........

Ok. :grouphug:

Jombajimba.....Did you see our show(T-Birds)?!? Prehaps not.

The Thunderbirds have ALWAYS represented as a true MINI-CORPS(see: mini drumline, 3-5 players......no drumset.)

We had 5 in the percussion this show......and two of them also played mallets,.....and cymbals, and throw-down contras....congas,.....and of course a tri-bass! .So I don't want to hear this " the only corps to do so"crap.

Thanks for the side note there Scott.....right on.:)

Ain't nuthin wrong with park-and-bark.

Some of these folks in these corps just can't do all that runnin around drill.

There should be some type of "visual enhancement" involved with a show's design, i agree.

The different flavors Is what makes this competition great!

remember, this is DCA's show,.....DCA's competition....you get what Mr.Pronti Arranges for us(and a FINE job he did this year!).

It is what it is. B)

...And Fran beat me to the DCA point. lol

Edited by El_Chestus

Fran, just wondering why you do not think starting earlier than 5:30 is feasible? Most folks I know travelled in days prior to Friday, most were on site at least by Thursday. If that is the case or at least the majority case, then starting earlier should not be an issue. I know the logistics to such an event are mind boggling, but starting earlier should help to releave some of that stress, not add to it.

I know all we wanted to do after Fridays conclusion was go out and party with all of our bretheren from other corps that we do not get to see but once or twice a year and we all were doing everything we could just to keep our eyes open.

Dont limit mini-corps...for corps sake! We are just now getting to an age of a resurgence in our activity...grow it as big as we can!

Thoughts?