DCA Rochester Prelims

No doubt in my mind that the Scott Stewart influence in the Kilties organization will be a positive in dozens of ways. I look forward to seeing what our midwest bretheren bring to the table NEXT year!

As do I, because this is the corps I grew up in back when making DCI finals wasn't even a question. Nobody wants them to succeed more than I do. I fear that Mr. Stewart will suffer the same fate as the corps director that they hired from California who talked about quitting playing "at" drumcorps and starting to get serious. He was let go before the season even started.

Hopefully the fact that they wouldn't even have made class A finals will be a wake up call.

CLASH OF THE TITANS

Caballeros. I will take a little less control for a little more volume. Thank you, Caballeros. Visual design and transitions are VERY appreciated. Superior and aggressive design and approach. A pinch loose at times, but always intense and with that extra bit of panache that only comes from Hawthorne. If I had a shred of doubt about the hornline, the transition from the drum solo to the mellophone feature and symponic section won me over. EFFECT ALL OVER THE PLACE. A tease of volume and then pure repose...simply awesome. Guard is the most prolific, colorful and, from a vis ensemble standpoint, integrated of the night. Closer brings velocity, volume, tradition, Carmen...everything you asked for, delivered and then some.

Biggest plus: I gave 'em high drums. Snare, bass, tenor, front ensemble...look carefully. They executed better tonight than Empire or Bucs.

Biggest Question: Can the visual performance find another level to close that gap?

Overall: There's a chance.

Thank you for the review. We had a great time performing this production, and are very pleased with the outcome. Thanks to all the fans and peers that supported and cheered us all season. That's why we do this. See you in 2008!

Edited by CabsMello03

No doubt in my mind that the Scott Stewart influence in the Kilties organization will be a positive in dozens of ways. I look forward to seeing what our midwest bretheren bring to the table NEXT year!

Scott's influence has already brought about many positives (with tons more to come).

Scott had not planned on entering into the Directorship role until leading into the 2008 season.

He was able to arrange his outside committments to step forth at the end of June 07, and assume the Directorship with excited and positive full support of the membership, staff, administration and Board of Directors of The Kilties.

Up until that time Scott was working "behind the scenes" as much as his schedule would allow with the administration, Board of Directors, etc. to ready for the 08 season.

In that short time period from the end of June, he was able to take the corps with (unknown to the public until now) close to 35 first year members (a little less than 1/2 the corps) and mold it into a unit with added confidence and enhance the organization's format, being that the main and most important focus is to serve the membership to make sure the Kiltie experience is enjoyable, exciting and positive in nature.

The rehearsal schedules are already set for 2008, application for membership has been brisk, the 07 staff was invited to return and Scott plans on bringing forth those available of instructional and creative talents he has worked with in the past to assist as a part of the Kiltie organization.

Plans are to field a full corps of 128 with highly structured and time managed rehearsal schedules. Use the internet and regional sectionals for the memberships advantage to better themselves on the performance level....and continue to create a positive formula for success for not only The Kilties, but for the activity in general.

This was my 5th year as a member of the Hurricanes (02, 03, 05, taught 06, 07) and I have to say this was by far the most enjoyable season I have ever had. We've made such drastic changes and it can only go up from here. Finishing only .4 out of 6th place and finishing 6th in drums (highest since I've been in the tenor line) just shows how far we have come the past few years. It will only get better from here. Thanks for the reviews and we'll see you next season.

This is an excellent review. However, if it was intended to include ALL the open class corps (and realizing you arrived late), you came up one short... I think it's fair to say that corps missed in this review was also was battling for that finals spot.

Edited by K2SMA

" If the Kilties are to re-enter the DCA elite, they will have to take a more firm approach to preparation. "

Nail....meet head.

As long as being a Kilt is practicing 7 hours a month and spending 30 hours a month at DeMark's, it will never change. Trust me, I tried changing it and was quietly disposed of.

Totally uncalled for accusation. The corps had a good progressive year up till Prelims.

They had a bad show at the wrong time. This does not mean their whole program is crap.It only means they had a bad show.

This is an excellent review. However, if it was intended to include ALL the open class corps (and realizing you arrived late), you came up one short... I think it's fair to say that corps missed in this review was also was battling for that finals spot.

SA,

Who'd I miss? :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Plans are to field a full corps of 128 with highly structured and time managed rehearsal schedules.

He's great at this. When I marched Scouts under Scott he would hand out the green sheets with our schedule for the next six-eight weeks at a time. It said we were pulling into Fridley, MN at 2am and I checked my watch as we pulled in: 1:58am. Amazing considering I got the sheet four weeks prior.

That is but one of Scott's many talents!

Can't wait to see what the Kilts are up to next year!