LIVE from the Pressbox for the Alumni Spectacular

JohnD

Hey Steve ... YUP! ... hung up the sticks at last year's DCA ... just couldn't take the pain any more ... made the Clifton show this year and that's about it ... and from the looks of it, the "3,000 lb" snare line is still holding its own weight ... HAHA ... hope all is well with you ...

Andy "retired from DC - not life" Lisko

Andy: I did see you perform at Clifton and that was why I asked. I hung my sticks up after the 2004 season. The double congas took a toll on my back over the years and Smitty and Chris Sortino asked me this season to try out the "lighter" double tenors but I think the desire and fire are gone as well. Doing a drill requires a time comittment which I really prefer not to do. I was fortunate to relive my drum corps days another ten years with the Cabs Alumni and for my kids to see what I used to do in my younger days. So while all my drum corps friends were heading up to Rochester, I was down in Wildwood, my favorite drum corps end of season spot. I sat on my room balcony, with a beer in hand, and reliving the old days of the New Jersey American Legion Convention Days.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy: I did see you perform at Clifton and that was why I asked.

HAHA ... the only "performing" I did was at the tailgate party trying to keep up with Bucky!!! ... LOL ... the 16 snares Sky had out there in Clifton didn't include me (retired), Wes (wrist) and Shirley Temple (year off) ... they lost us but picked up four new snares (including Fast Frankie) over the winter ... Wildwood always used to be our post-season respit as well ... except we didn't have to the parade and contest ... YAY! ... used to love to bring the kids down to the boardwalk rides to idle the hours away ... now, I only make is as far down a Atlantic City sometimes :music: ... I agree with you ... Alumni Corps give you the option to relive or extend your drum corps career as long as you want - when you want ... just like you, having my kids finally see me drum was a big thing also ... Alumni Corps allow for the "good life" ... hope they keep them simple and fun ...

Andy "maybe I'll start a NY SIDELINER fan club" Lisko

Heh, Donnie stepped off the podium as if the show was over, then Ace Peterson came out and told him there was one more song. Now Ace is playing a solo to lead into Georgia On My Mind. The corps is coming in front of the sideline. This is gonna shake the stands.

CORRECTION:

Our featured soprano soloist was Mike Dimuro.

Thanks Geoff, you beat me to it. Certainly Ace is one of the greatest sops ever in DC but he is currently not with MSJ. Mike DiMuro has had an incredible year with the corps and deserves a world of credit and recognition. Thanks Mike for making MSJ's year such a success.

[HAHA ... the only "performing" I did was at the tailgate party trying to keep up with Bucky!!! ... LOL ... the 16 snares Sky had out there in Clifton didn't include me (retired), Wes (wrist) and Shirley Temple (year off) ... they lost us but picked up four new snares (including Fast Frankie) over the winter ..

My mistake. From the stands, at Grand Prix, I thought I saw you in the line. I did see Wes on the sidelines.

I am now content seeing one or two shows a year. As far as DCA Finals, never liked the ride to Rochester, especially the twice a years back in the 70s. I was willing to go to Scranton but it looks like Rochester will be a permanent fixture now.

Congratulations to all the participants who worked so hard...

...wish I could have been there...

Edited by GuyW

My mistake, by the way, Cabs Alumni did not play Cherry Pink.

As soon as we left the field, I inquired as to why we didn't play that, and I was told because of the 14 minute time alottment, we had no more time left. I'm VERY curious as to what the audience thought of that??? I know I wanted to hear that one myself!!!

Edited by Vanguard Rich

As soon as we left the field, I inquired as to why we didn't play that, and I was told because of the 14 minute time alottment, we had no more time left. I'm VERY curious as to what the audience thought of that??? I know I wanted to hear that one myself!!!

Rich:

I remember in Scranton when several alumni corps went beyond the time limit, including the Cabs Alumni, and Mickey Petrone was livid. DCA wants to contain the length of the Alumni show because of Finals at night and want the Stadium cleared, which is understandable. I had heard that DCA was going to impose penalties on corps not abiding by the limit in the form of not being invited back the following year. Rules are rules and if corps want to extend their playing time, perhaps they should play off the field rather than troop the stands with a streetbeat and then stopping to play.

Drum line is now in front of the sideline and throwing down. Old school Mylar heads on the drums, too.

Thanks for this and the other complimentary comments, Kevin. We had a great time performing for everyone at the Alumni Spectacular, and I've enjoyed reading your running commentary now that I'm home.

For the record, we use Remo 'Black Max' Kevlar heads on our vintage Ludwig all-metal snares. We just don't crank them down to 'formica counter' sound like the free-floater drums used by many others.

Also, regarding the absence of our "Cherry Pink" encore, as Rich mentioned above, we were told we weren't allowed because of time restrictions. I understand that not every corps kept to that. We would have loved playing it for everyone, because we know it's a crowd favorite. After all, playing for the audience is what the Alumni show is all about.

It was nice to see that there was a bigger crowd this year for the Alumni show. And, as in the past, it was great to have the Caballeros competing corps there to see our show and cheer for us. Thank you to all the spectators and supporters who gave us such a warm and spirited reception. As Jimmy Russo says, "We do it for You!"

Thanks for this and the other complimentary comments, Kevin. We had a great time performing for everyone at the Alumni Spectacular, and I've enjoyed reading your running commentary now that I'm home.

For the record, we use Remo 'Black Max' Kevlar heads on our vintage Ludwig all-metal snares. We just don't crank them down to 'formica counter' sound like the free-floater drums used by many others.

Also, regarding the absence of our "Cherry Pink" encore, as Rich mentioned above, we were told we weren't allowed because of time restrictions. I understand that not every corps kept to that. We would have loved playing it for everyone, because we know it's a crowd favorite. After all, playing for the audience is what the Alumni show is all about.

It was nice to see that there was a bigger crowd this year for the Alumni show. And, as in the past, it was great to have the Caballeros competing corps there to see our show and cheer for us. Thank you to all the spectators and supporters who gave us such a warm and spirited reception. As Jimmy Russo says, "We do it for You!"

Hi John:

I guess better weather had a lot to do with a bigger crowd than last year as well!!!!!!!!! B)