LIVE from the Pressbox for the Alumni Spectacular

JohnD

Rich:

I remember in Scranton when several alumni corps went beyond the time limit, including the Cabs Alumni, and Mickey Petrone was livid. DCA wants to contain the length of the Alumni show because of Finals at night and want the Stadium cleared, which is understandable. I had heard that DCA was going to impose penalties on corps not abiding by the limit in the form of not being invited back the following year. Rules are rules and if corps want to extend their playing time, perhaps they should play off the field rather than troop the stands with a streetbeat and then stopping to play.

Too bad that someone can't take a hint, as we're there to entertain an audience. I would really like to know how many of the "fans in the stands" would have loved hearing us play that. From where I was at as we were leaving, you could almost hear the buzz: "What, no Cherry Pink"??? It would have really been the "frosting on the cake" for our performance! And whomever can scream as loud as they want at me about running overtime (in one ear & out the other) as I'll take all the playing time I can get, for driving 10 hours & 600 miles each way!! Penatlties??? - throw us off the field or not be invited back?? I don't think so. <**> :ramd: :worthy: And notice that I hardly stopped playing when Larry was tuning the horn line down to the contras on Sunday morning??? Just trying to get my moneys worth!!

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rich is correct; we were told a week in advance that there would be NO ENCORE because of the very strict time constraints under which we were operating.

Imagine our surprise when the corps that went on after us was "invited" to play "just one more."

Oh well.....

Andy

Rich is correct; we were told a week in advance that there would be NO ENCORE because of the very strict time constraints under which we were operating.

Imagine our surprise when the corps that went on after us was "invited" to play "just one more."

Oh well.....

Andy

Andy: That was always the case, even when I was marching with Cabs Alumni. I forget what year it was but we were told not to play past whatever time limit. The corps before us was playing for over 25 minutes and I remember we were getting antsy and wondering where the time limit was. Then right before we went on, Pete and Chuck Bishop tells the corps we cannot play Cherry Pink. I remember the whole corps telling Chuck to play it and asking what are they going to do if we go over. Well we did play it and the rest is history. I was just saying that you have to be careful with shirking the rules because DCA instituted the Alumni show only in the late 1990s. I remember we played the exhibition at Finals by invite in 1996 or 1997 in Allentown and then the Alumni show started small and grew every year. If there are going to be limits, they have to be applied consistently and everyone has to follow. That was the point I was trying to make.

Edited by cabalumsw

Oh well.....

Andy

Just an FYI: As a member of the Skyliners Alumni, our entire show including Elk's is well under the time limit. I think that is the only reason it was allowed. ^0^

Thanks, Joe, for this information. I stand corrected.

Andy

No problem, its all good. That is why we do it. I would have loved to hear the Cabs play "Cherry Pink" as well. ^0^