What place would Bucs take at DCI Championships?

What place would Bucs take at DCI Championships?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. could they make finals?

• 1-6?
    • 6-9?
    • 9-12?
    • 12-15?
    • 15-24?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um....a novice at something is what I would consider a beginner. People with 10+ years playing an instrument are not 'novices'.

Maybe, but with brass instruments and music in general, 10 years is a beginner, to me.

10 years or so should get you some pretty good skills and a fair handle on how to use them. Time doesn't determine whether someone is a novice or not.

Like the word amateur usually means someone not as good as a professional, but the word actually refers to someone that engages in something for the sheer love of it regardless of talent or skill level.

However, if you wish, I will gladly restate my view as DCI players not being as experienced as most DCA members and I believe this makes a difference in the way they sound.

Maybe, but with brass instruments and music in general, 10 years is a beginner, to me.

10 years or so should get you some pretty good skills and a fair handle on how to use them. Time doesn't determine whether someone is a novice or not.

Like the word amateur usually means someone not as good as a professional, but the word actually refers to someone that engages in something for the sheer love of it regardless of talent or skill level.

However, if you wish, I will gladly restate my view as DCI players not being as experienced as most DCA members and I believe this makes a difference in the way they sound.

Even when comparing them to well-trained, older students, there IS something great about the sound of a seasoned performer. There are sounds in DCA that you'll never hear in DCI, I think.

There are sounds in DCA that you'll never hear in DCI, I think.

I would agree with that statement. But not in the same context.

If you have an example, In your opinion, what an All-Aged hornline does that a Jr line doesn't. I would be interested to here. I am assuming that you are comparing corps like Cadets and Devils with Bucs and Cabs. In both cases, they are close to the top of their game in "their" div.

I would agree with that statement. But not in the same context.

If you have an example, In your opinion, what an All-Aged hornline does that a Jr line doesn't. I would be interested to here. I am assuming that you are comparing corps like Cadets and Devils with Bucs and Cabs. In both cases, they are close to the top of their game in "their" div.

Great question.

If you were asking me, as I've said before, it comes down to subtleties. Say how a swing sections swings. A younger performer will usually swing the way they're told to and this is OK for performance sake. A more experienced player will know how to swing and the ensemble around them will all fill in the groove. i.e. Bridgeman's, "In the Stone".

When watching DCI last night I saw some great performances, but musically they were vapid, (I learned that word today :) ), but really the dynamics were great. The hits were there, the shows were generally clean as a whistle. You could tell the kids gave everything they had. That's cool. It was great.

However, take a corps like Erie or Sky Alumni. These guys do not have musical cleanliness as a hallmark,(sorry guys) but crowds love them. They own an audience. Why? Is the audience stupid? No, it is the corps' stage presence and the way they present and play the music, born out of their, say it with me now, experience. Corps and performances like that suck you in and you feel engulfed by the enthusiasm and the music.

The field corps of DCA do the same thing in a more disciplined fashion. I feel you get more of the performer's interpretation of the music in DCA and I feel conversely that in DCI you're getting what the staff has trained them to do, albeit at a very high level. IMO

Great question.

If you were asking me, as I've said before, it comes down to subtleties. Say how a swing sections swings. A younger performer will usually swing the way they're told to and this is OK for performance sake. A more experienced player will know how to swing and the ensemble around them will all fill in the groove. i.e. Bridgeman's, "In the Stone".

When watching DCI last night I saw some great performances, but musically they were vapid, (I learned that word today :) ), but really the dynamics were great. The hits were there, the shows were generally clean as a whistle. You could tell the kids gave everything they had. That's cool. It was great.

However, take a corps like Erie or Sky Alumni. These guys do not have musical cleanliness as a hallmark,(sorry guys) but crowds love them. They own an audience. Why? Is the audience stupid? No, it is the corps' stage presence and the way they present and play the music, born out of their, say it with me now, experience. Corps and performances like that suck you in and you feel engulfed by the enthusiasm and the music.

The field corps of DCA do the same thing in a more disciplined fashion. I feel you get more of the performer's interpretation of the music in DCA and I feel conversely that in DCI you're getting what the staff has trained them to do, albeit at a very high level. IMO

One word to say,,,

WOW!

OK I said the one word.

Now, that's exactly what I have been trying to put into words for years about Sr corps,, That edgy sound, that feel,,

You just nailed what its all about in DCA.

thank you

Yeah, who's doing that? I want names! There are copyright laws ya know! :P

Marty,

Why on earth would one do that when it is much more fun to imply who you mean by NOT naming them? Just name another group so everyone can say, "Hmmm, I guess if he doesn't mean the Cabs, he must mean the ____________.”

Subtlety is everything when trying to drag people into brouhaha and not look like an instigator.