ESPN Broadcast Discussion Topic

of all the really cool stuff in bluecoats show this year, wonderful brass licks, silent drill etc......... why did they chose the ballad and end of the show for the broadcast????? :laugh:

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A. They used to back in the day on PBS (cover A, A-60 and the rest of "world" class).

B. They used to back in the day on PBS (show entire shows for the entire top 12).

C. They used to back in the day on PBS (show more human interest stuff).

I'm not one of the ones compaining about the ESPN2 broadcast. I think it's great that DCI is on ESPN, but I do miss the more complete PBS broadcasts.

I remember ordering a pizza and sitting down to watch the entire finals on PBS, man it was fun!

Now I have to wait until 10 pm on a Wednesday night and try to go to sleep after...crazy! Then when I am almost asleep I heard those darn racoons and had to shoot them.

I know what you mean. When the Mel gibson movie, "The Passion of Christ" came out, I had to keep telling people, "Don't tell me how it ends!"

It doesn't "end "...... until hollywood finishes the sequel..... then another.... and another...

Edited by X DM

A. They used to back in the day on PBS (cover A, A-60 and the rest of "world" class).

B. They used to back in the day on PBS (show entire shows for the entire top 12).

C. They used to back in the day on PBS (show more human interest stuff).

I'm not one of the ones compaining about the ESPN2 broadcast. I think it's great that DCI is on ESPN, but I do miss the more complete PBS broadcasts.

Like i said earlier in this thread...

The idea of a full broadcast (tape delayed or not) may never happen again. The only way full finals would ever be broadcast live again would be if it were part of some PPV package (that I have broken down in the past). This is the best we will get in the near future. I would almost bet my yearly salary that we will not get any thing better on TV than what we have right now.

I watched last night in my dorm room...my roommate watched the second half and he really enjoyed it; he was amazed at just how awesome drum corps drill could be. It seems it has an appeal even to people who know nothing about the activity.

He was really put off by Cadets' narration. "Yeah uh, who doesn't believe in those things? It's so generic and corny. 'I believe in happiness! I believe that fluffy bunnies are cute! I believe that bad things are wrong! Our instruments make happy sounds!' " I told him about the Martha Graham quote as well, the whole "Live by practicing living" thing, and he goes, "So like, if you're a fetus do you pick up a briefcase and go to work? I don't know about you, but I'd be reluctant to take stock advice from a fetus."

:laugh:

Love your roommate's sense of humor!

My husband doesn't know much of anything about this activity. Cadets used to be the only corps he liked because they did the World War II show. He said that he understood what Cadets were trying to do with the concept of the show, but that the content of the narration was "namby-pamby" and "weak."

But score one for the members...my husband couldn't believe that the narrators were saying their lines live. He swore that they had to be pre-recorded because "nobody sounds out of breath."

the one mistake in the opener?

It's the only specific mistake anyone has commented on.

If you want to go ahead and start a thread about listing mistakes shown in the shots the line producer chose to use for the ESPN broadcast go ahead, that's what message boards are for. But the point of my comment was that it sucks that a bunch of people are singling in on that one mistake when it was something the poor girl couldn't control. Maybe I should have just said it like that to begin with. Or not. Gonna get flamed anyway.