ESPN2 (the review)

1.. They didn't need to. It was on PBS.

2.. Live streaming of the semi-finals.. THAT YOU HAVE TO PAY TO ACCESS.

3.. They had this thing called video tape. It wasn't as good as a dvd, I'll grant you.

4.. PBS isn't a prestigious network? Perhaps you should look up the word, young man. "esteemed: having an illustrious reputation; respected".

Somehow, cheerleading championships and golf don't fit that category to me.

5.. How many "cool jocks" watch ESPN ------- TWO?

It's nice to know you like to go to Denny's too. I look forward to seeing you there.

"Live On PBS":

The entire show was telecast (The first being from Franklin Field in Philadelphia, in 1975), LIVE, on PBS, for many years. The program was later reduced to a two hour broadcast of the top six or seven, but again it was in "Real Time"...

And: It was FREE!!!! :huh:

Elphaba

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And: It was DONATION DRIVEN ON PBS!!!!

I fixed it for you.

DCI on PBS was NEVER free. What it was was something like the "honor system" candy boxes companies used to put in their kitchenettes. Lots of people paid for what they took but there was always a group who took without paying.

Similarly, most people who watched those {sic}"free" PBS broadcasts did so by abusing the honor system. They'd watch and choose not to support their local PBS by either not pledging or pledging during the broadcast and subsequently NOT sending in their pledged donation.

It would be so nice if history was not so revisionist around here. :huh:

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

I fixed it for you.

DCI on PBS was NEVER free. What it was was something like the "honor system" candy boxes companies used to put in their kitchenettes. Lots of people paid for what they took but there was always a group who took without paying.

Similarly, most people who watched those {sic}"free" PBS broadcasts did so by abusing the honor system. They'd watch and choose not to support their local PBS by either not pledging or pledging during the broadcast and subsequently NOT sending in their pledged donation.

It would be so nice if history was not so revisionist around here. :rolleyes:

Stef

Stef, it's great that your mum finally connected to you and drum corps. However, my review is MY OPINION ON THINGS. That's why it's a "review". I'm sure plenty of people loved the broadcast. I'm NOT one of them. There's no reason to be so angry with others. I grew up on Social Security with four other siblings. Donating to PBS was impossible for my family. It's amazing I could even be in a corps (I had to work at the bingo hall, among other things to pay my way). PBS was broadcast over the air to anyone with a t.v.

That's called "free".

Cable is where you pay for the channels.

Donations, while necessary for PBS, are NOT required.

Good morning:

Had a great little drum corps get together - PARTY! - of three, but hey we had a great time. (Hi, Stef!)

SO - the next day I get a call from my East-Coast friend. The same one who I dragged to Allentown in '98 to see 24 corps in 98 degree heat. Yeah - she's never forgiven me for that, but she remembers 'the boys in green' and the corps that played "Jeykell Hyde" and yelling 'Vanguard.'. So she called to say she raced (!) home to see the broadcast. And called her sister too. Whhaaaat? And told me her conversation with said sister: "Yeah - it's not the same effect. You really have to see and hear it live. When they play with their backs to us and then turn around...it's like Memorex time." Seriously! She said that to her sister.

Her favorite? Crown.

Her least favorite? Cadets. (Too disjointed.)

Best moment? "The blue guys doing the drum solo. They were fierce! It was like the movie Drumline. I was waiting for them to throw down their sticks at the end."

And there you have it! Two relative newbies going ga-ga over the broadcast. And that's what it's really about.

Stef, it's great that your mum finally connected to you and drum corps. However, my review is MY OPINION ON THINGS. That's why it's a "review". I'm sure plenty of people loved the broadcast. I'm NOT one of them. There's no reason to be so angry with others. I grew up on Social Security with four other siblings. Donating to PBS was impossible for my family. It's amazing I could even be in a corps (I had to work at the bingo hall, among other things to pay my way). PBS was broadcast over the air to anyone with a t.v.

That's called "free".

Cable is where you pay for the channels.

Donations, while necessary for PBS, are NOT required.

I promise you, the last thing I am is angry.

I have no problem with your opinion and I certainly expect you would have the same feeling about MY OPINION as you expect me to have about yours. Seems fair, right?

Besides, I don't believe I responded to you until I decided to clear up a gross misrepresentation you posted about the PBS broadcast being "free."

There was never anything "FREE" about the PBS DCI broadcast. PBS is available to the public.. but the programming they choose to run is based on what brings in funds. That is a hard, cold reality for us welfare kids to understand but it is the absolute bottom line. I grew up on food stamps as well, so please don't preach to me about how hard it was and how little money there was. You're not the first or last who ever had it tough. I never said you couldn't watch PBS if you couldn't pay for it.. but DON'T call it "free." Somebody out there has to pay for it, even if you can't or don't. If not enough somebodys are willing to pay for what you like to watch on PBS, that show will eventually go away.

The truth was and is PBS wanted less and less to do with DCI because the percentage of DCI fans who did call and pledge during the broadcasts and then actually lived up to their pledge of donation was abysmally low.. fewer and fewer local PBS stations were willing to carry it because, while it looked good up front in terms of calls in, the end result was not making the grade. We had to find a new outlet and with that new outlet came other requirements based on what the network who would carry us wanted from us. That was plainly evident from the surprisingly critical commentary I heard this year for the first time.. I don't have a problem with it.. most DCI fans do the same thing.. but it's surprising to hear it broadcast.

My suggestion for you is this: DCI has clearly committed to this new path in terms of the broadcast. If, for the last 10 years or so, you haven't picked up on the fact that it's NOT going back to the old way by now, please let me be the first to notify you. They're not going back. You should probably stop watching the broadcast because you're only wasting your time and will be disappointed.

Sorry!

Stef

I thought the program was awesome....In fact, here's a little story that a bunch of die-hard fans who yearn for the good old days of 15hr live broadcasts for free won't want to hear.,,,My mother called me today to tell me she watched the show on ESPN2 last night......

After I notified everyone I thought might care that it was going to air on ESPN2, I posted it a political message board I'm a member of. It was an 11th hour posting but I did get 1 'DC virgin' and 1 former DC DM to watch. Here were the two replies -

Cattttt

U.S.A.

(9/6/07 10:47 am)

Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Drum Corps on ESPN2

we had something going on last night so David *(her husband)* recorded it for me and I watched it when I got home.

Ahhh Mick I miss it....it was so, so hard to believe that those where kids between 14 and 21 until they did the one on one interviews.

In a way I do miss the old format but I cannot say either is better or worse than the other. The things that matter are still there....the precision, the disipline, the extraordinary teamwork! I was awed.

And a comment one kids said stuck with me.....he said he wouldn't be there person he is today with Drum Corps....I guess that fits both of us.

nellie j

U.S.A.

(9/6/07 12:17 pm)

Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Drum Corps on ESPN2

Caught it at 10. I never realised or had in my mind the art and movement. I always thought it to be more uniform.

I imagine you would have to be very coordinated, movin sideways up and down and playin instuments at the same time.

I was listenin to some of the coaches speak,the one guy who said you could see what was goin on both ends without havin to turn your head "Master of Geometry". Mind blowin!

I wouldnt know where to start or stop. Looks like it takes alot of practice and discipline.

Were you in the flashbacks?

I really liked the thieves and police,the red laser effect and the horses from SC. I really wanted to see more of that one.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...343C4AE72164770

Or, IMOO (in my opinionated opinion)!

Bobbie'

Just to answer one of your questions..Erin England is awsome. A wonderful and immensly talented young lady. She aged out this summer. Crown will miss her and her great parents, Frank and Dickie..both of who where frequent volunteers with the corps.

Whatever the future holds for Erin, I can gaurantee it is a bright one!

I promise you, the last thing I am is angry.

I have no problem with your opinion and I certainly expect you would have the same feeling about MY OPINION as you expect me to have about yours. Seems fair, right?

Besides, I don't believe I responded to you until I decided to clear up a gross misrepresentation you posted about the PBS broadcast being "free."

There was never anything "FREE" about the PBS DCI broadcast. PBS is available to the public.. but the programming they choose to run is based on what brings in funds. That is a hard, cold reality for us welfare kids to understand but it is the absolute bottom line. I grew up on food stamps as well, so please don't preach to me about how hard it was and how little money there was. You're not the first or last who ever had it tough. I never said you couldn't watch PBS if you couldn't pay for it.. but DON'T call it "free." Somebody out there has to pay for it, even if you can't or don't. If not enough somebodys are willing to pay for what you like to watch on PBS, that show will eventually go away.

The truth was and is PBS wanted less and less to do with DCI because the percentage of DCI fans who did call and pledge during the broadcasts and then actually lived up to their pledge of donation was abysmally low.. fewer and fewer local PBS stations were willing to carry it because, while it looked good up front in terms of calls in, the end result was not making the grade. We had to find a new outlet and with that new outlet came other requirements based on what the network who would carry us wanted from us. That was plainly evident from the surprisingly critical commentary I heard this year for the first time.. I don't have a problem with it.. most DCI fans do the same thing.. but it's surprising to hear it broadcast.

My suggestion for you is this: DCI has clearly committed to this new path in terms of the broadcast. If, for the last 10 years or so, you haven't picked up on the fact that it's NOT going back to the old way by now, please let me be the first to notify you. They're not going back. You should probably stop watching the broadcast because you're only wasting your time and will be disappointed.

Sorry!

Stef

Fair enough. But perhaps if enough people watch the broadcast on ESPN 2 (ugh, 2? reminds me of "Dodgeball"), the sports channel might extend the show to include a few full 11 minute performances. Considering it's a pay cable station, instead of begging for more money, the issue of how much "show" to show wouldn't be a problem.

Edited by apoch003

Fair enough. But perhaps if enough people watch the broadcast on ESPN 2 (ugh, 2? reminds me of "Dodgeball"), the sports channel might extend the show to include a few full 11 minute performances. Considering it's a pay cable station, instead of begging for more money, the issue of how much "show" to show wouldn't be a problem.

perhaps, but I'm guessing the typical ESPN audience (and let's face it, it's a BASIC cable channel, it's not the same thing as a "pay cable" station like HBO or Cinemax.. if you have cable, you have ESPN and several of its satellite stations as well) doesn't have an attention span that long. There are other factors at play here, as well.

See, in order to STAY on the air, DCI has to come to agreements with ESPN (or whatever network they agree with to broadcast it) about the format of the broadcast.. they don't get to just say, "hey, we'd like to give away this product to anyone who has cable" .. the broadcast is a collaborative effort and there are going to be certain things that the broadcast carrier won't cave on.

I can just about guarantee you ESPN is not ever going to see showing a series of 11 minute full performances (with no commercial breaks, mind you) over what they have right now. NO commercial network would EVER agree to that.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but don't get your hopes up on that. It's not going to happen.

Sorry!

I'm a little confused about everyone saying the DCI telecast was top 12 live back in the 70's and 80's.

I started watching the DCI telecast in 1979, my brother's first year, and it was a full 12 corps show but it was not live. I marched until 1988 and during that time it was not live until either 1987 or 1988, and then when it did become a live show it went from being a full 12 corps show to being a 5 corps show. This changed to 6 corps sometime in the 90's.

Oh and even when it was broadcast live, that doesn't mean the PBS station in your area would neccesarily carry it live. I know the PBS stations in michigan always showed it on labor day weekend even though it was a live show.