ESPN2 (the review)

DCI can remain on cable TV so long as ESPN2 has airtime to fill. But what'll you do if they decide to charge DCI a price that it can't meet?

Apparently, I am prescient!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, I am prescient!

congrats dude...although the DCI article doesn't exactly state it this way, I think the conversation went something like this...

DCI: Hello. ESPN2? Mind if we call you El Duece?

ESPN2: (imagine this role being played by Gary Cole who played Bill Lumberghin Office Space)Yeah, no.

DCI: See, we wanted to get started on signing another three year contract for the DCI Championships on ESPN2. It's been a really great experience....

ESPN2: Yeah...about that...come on in and sit down.

DCI: What is it?

ESPN2: See this last year, with your little show, here. See you forgot to put the cover on your TPS report after the broadcast, Yeah.

DCI: TPS Report?

ESPN2: Yeah, and we noticed that our lowest ranking audience for women's softball was not willing to give your little "band" show a look after the Arizona State game was over.

DCI: Um...it's not band.

ESPN2: Whatever. See, we can still find some airtime for you. Have you considered ESPN Deportes? I mean you guys have trumpets...like mariachi bands...he...put a little latin flair into your programming.

DCI: I don't think...

ESPN2: See, that's the problem...you don't think. Now I'm...<phone call>Um. Just a minute. Yeah. Hey Peter. Yeah. I'm going to have to have you come in on Saturday and probably Sunday too. Yeah, were just a little behind and we need to catch up. Yeah. <back to DCI> OK...now where were we?

DCI: We were talking about a timeslot.

ESPN2: Yeah...about that. See...were going to have a little trouble giving you the timeslot at the price we negotiated three years ago. Yeah...how about ESPN8? The Ocho?

DCI: Again, that's not our primary demographic.

ESPN2: Yeah...well, this band thing...see you guys said by this time you'd have some more broader based advertisers and would be appealing to more than your little niche market. I mean who is the DeMoulin guy anyway? And Fred J. Miller...is that the guy on that kid's show on PBS?

DCI: That's Fred Rogers.

ESPN2: Yeah...right...right. Anyway, we're looking at $250K per hour on a three year contract. Basically a half a million per year for a 12a-2a timeslot EDT. Interested?

DCI: But...we..

ESPN2: Thought so. Thank you for your time. NEXT.