Worst field ever!

We were super fortunate this year as far as fields go (90% turf fields I'd say)...

But, in Tupelo, the field was less than desireable... It was like marching on a gigantic sponge that was trying to eat all the corps members it could so that it could grow and grow, to take over the entire world eating one person after another.

It made direction changes kinda tough.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rose Bowl Quarterfinals :P haha jk....umm...there was a pretty bad place in 05, i think it was in Iowa or something, it had 6 inch long grass.

We were super fortunate this year as far as fields go (90% turf fields I'd say)...

I've noticed that this year, as well...it seems more and more, fields are becoming artificial turf instead of grass.

-=GM=-

Rose Bowl Quarterfinals :P haha jk....umm...there was a pretty bad place in 05, i think it was in Iowa or something, it had 6 inch long grass.

Yeah...marching liquid in that field was not so fun. The best part was the staff telling us that the field would be just as bad that night. We got there...and it was astroturf... :worthy:

PORT HURON.... that field made me feel fat and out of shape.

Worst field evah! <**>

Nice segue, Garry!

First I'll mention an all-time classic bad field for anyone who's ever been in BD or (more recently) Renegades....Mars! Suffice to say if you can march clean at Mars, you can march clean anywhere....nuff said!

West Covina.....lessee now....I was on that field twice....Dream's standstill on 02 and their field performance in 03.

i really can't comment on the field itself because our feat never REACHED the field! I'm pretty sure the grounds staff hadn't mowed the #### grass in weeks....you could see feet disappearing into the grass. It was horrid! Ironically, the only corps that DIDN'T have anyone fall was Dream.

I remember thinking "thank God I'm on the podium" when we entered the field in 03.

It was dangerous for everyone (and I have to believe it was a factor in a show not being back there after 03)...A herd of hungry goats would've done a good job of cutting it!

Nice try Sam, You just don't quite do this horrible field full justice!

1- This field was crowned(hill) beyond belief, I remember marching on the track thinking, 'I can't see the crowd over the field!'

2- The grass was horribly long, except for the hashmarks, and the tire treads (01,02). Someone had seriously driven a truck over the field, and not even in a straight line!

3- The hashes were littlerally painted the size of a cinderblock and 6 inches DEEP! They're not supposed to be deep!!!

4- The back of the stands was a street.THe stadium was situated on a corner, and down the street from a F.D.

Other than that, probably our rehearsal site for finals 03, a national guard armory on an airbase/airport. We rolled up in the wee hours of the morning, to find the only field anywhere nearby full of 6 ft. tall weeds and trees. The CO was cool enough to get a riding mower and a crew of guys on it while we slept, and awakened to a field. The only problem was the fire-ant hills they had happened to mow or knock over all over the field! Between that and the wacky weather, the rain at the same time everyday, full out with lightning and huge raindrops. It was tons of fun!

PORT HURON.... that field made me feel fat and out of shape.

(Me in my head.)

"Ugh, WHY AM I SO SLOW~?!"

Worst. Show. (Personally.) EVER.

Allentown back in 99... what a POS field.

Oh and Sam... Mars was not bad at all... in fact.. it was heaven compared to Bedrock. If you wonder why it was called Bedrock, just ask the many brave souls who ended up literally falling INTO the field while marching

Edited by cire

Mars was bad because of the 40 degree temp change from day to night and the sand fleas and the petroleum fumes!

Worst field I recall was a practice field in NJ. It was '85 so we had two sets of wings each and I think all of our other guard stuff was set on the ground. After climbing down a hill and clearing the trash we had a field COVERED with goose poop. There was nowhere to put our stuff without it getting coated and each time we had a quick stop or direction change we would skid out. It was beyond nasty! Thank heavens we didn't have drill like today or some musician would have been seriously injured. Who knew goose poop was so slippery!