Bridgemen 1977

Ok, I have wondered something for a very long time and have never been able to find out excatly what happened. My introduction to DCI came in the early 80's so maybe this is an understandable question.

Why were the Bridgemen disqualified from the 1977 DCI World Championships in Denver, Co.?

Thanks for your help,,,,,,,,,,

I believe this belongs to the Historical Corps forum.

I could be wrong, but I remember hearing that it had something to do with them marching a few people who were aging out that season. I think they let them march until they turned 22 and then had them go home, and DCI didn't like that.

Any thoughts? Sorry if that's way wrong...

• Like 1

From the Bridgemen History

http://bridgemen.com/

The Bayonne Bridgemen were serious title contenders in 1977. The corps' show started off with “Chiquita Banana” (“Yes We Have No Bananas”) drum solo, along with “Pagliacci” as the opener, complete with the operatic tragic clown in tow. Jim Brady, arguably one of the finest horn players in drum corps history, was the featured solo soprano. The Bridgemen won the World Open and DCI East titles, before heading out west to tour enroute to Denver.

After their announced 3rd place prelims performance, several members were singled out by DCI personnel, with the full support of some DCI member corps directors, where the persons under scrutiny were declared ineligible subjecting the corps to disqualification. The Bridgemen sued DCI to contest the disqualification on the grounds that there was no intent to have an overage member march beyond their 21st birthday, since the corps had replacement members on tour to take the spots of those members in question on the day prior to their birthday. A compromise was reached by which the Bridgemen were allowed to compete in the 1977 DCI finals.

The day of DCI finals in Boulder, CO was a painful one for the Bridgemen as no one knew how this would turn out. But lawyers for the Bridgemen found a loophole in DCI rules that allowed the Bridgemen to take the field. The audience's resistance was met with Bayonne tenacity as the corps unleashed a powerful performance in the face of adversity. By show's end the crowd was roaring their approval and the Bridgemen proved they were one of the strongest corps in contention that night.

Their score and placement would not be recognized in the DCI annals. But years later, the disqualification was rescinded and the Bridgemen are now listed as finishing in 4th place in 1977.

From the Bridgemen History

http://bridgemen.com/

The Bayonne Bridgemen were serious title contenders in 1977. The corps' show started off with “Chiquita Banana” (“Yes We Have No Bananas”) drum solo, along with “Pagliacci” as the opener, complete with the operatic tragic clown in tow. Jim Brady, arguably one of the finest horn players in drum corps history, was the featured solo soprano. The Bridgemen won the World Open and DCI East titles, before heading out west to tour enroute to Denver.

After their announced 3rd place prelims performance, several members were singled out by DCI personnel, with the full support of some DCI member corps directors, where the persons under scrutiny were declared ineligible subjecting the corps to disqualification. The Bridgemen sued DCI to contest the disqualification on the grounds that there was no intent to have an overage member march beyond their 21st birthday, since the corps had replacement members on tour to take the spots of those members in question on the day prior to their birthday. A compromise was reached by which the Bridgemen were allowed to compete in the 1977 DCI finals.

The day of DCI finals in Boulder, CO was a painful one for the Bridgemen as no one knew how this would turn out. But lawyers for the Bridgemen found a loophole in DCI rules that allowed the Bridgemen to take the field. The audience's resistance was met with Bayonne tenacity as the corps unleashed a powerful performance in the face of adversity. By show's end the crowd was roaring their approval and the Bridgemen proved they were one of the strongest corps in contention that night.

Their score and placement would not be recognized in the DCI annals. But years later, the disqualification was rescinded and the Bridgemen are now listed as finishing in 4th place in 1977.

Bold-faced type is mine.

Leo, that part is not accurate. There were only two members in question, that turned 22 AFTER they were removed from our ranks. (At DCI Midwest in Whitewater) We were "allowed" to compete for the remainder of the tour, and were confronted again by DCI, in Boulder, the day before prelims.

We NEVER marched anyone over 21 years of age, the two people in question were removed before turning 22, so ouooga, you are partially correct.

There is another more in-depth thread pertaining to this subject somewhere in the Historical Corps forum.

Jim Jordan

Thanks Jim I thought it was only 2 and I know who they were. I also know that the corps thought they were playing by the rules cause I wanted to march 77 in the worst way but being that my birthday was July 18 there was no way Ed and Bobby was going to let me march believe me I tried to get them to let me.

Edited by lp1955

• 12 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So why where they then eventually DQ'd if they never marched an overage member? 

On 9/12/2007 at 9:18 PM, overthehillDM said:

Bold-faced type is mine.

Leo, that part is not accurate. There were only two members in question, that turned 22 AFTER they were removed from our ranks. (At DCI Midwest in Whitewater) We were "allowed" to compete for the remainder of the tour, and were confronted again by DCI, in Boulder, the day before prelims.

We NEVER marched anyone over 21 years of age, the two people in question were removed before turning 22, so ouooga, you are partially correct.

There is another more in-depth thread pertaining to this subject somewhere in the Historical Corps forum.

Jim Jordan

I believe the 'post-prelims member callout' happened to the Muchachos in 1975.