1940 VFW National Championship

I was going to look when I saw your earlier post on it and forgot. :doh:

Only thing I found is from History of Drum Corps Vol I book and not much except the winners.

1940 VFW Nationals

Los Angeles, CA

Sr - Post 1494 Dearborn, MI

Jr - Post 1524 - Salem, MA

Looking at other scores around that time.

Sr Corps called Wayne County Council from Detroit also won in 34-37, 41-42 and Corps from Royal Oak, MI won 38, 39. Dearborn is a Detroit suburb but not sure about Royal Oak. Interesting that three MI corps won all those years.

Jr Post 1524 also won in 1939

PS - Know the feeling, while back bought a small pin that says "On to Detroit - Malden Drum & Bugle Corps" and had problems tracking that down.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I was going to look when I saw your earlier post on it and forgot. :doh:

Only thing I found is from History of Drum Corps Vol I book and not much except the winners.

1940 VFW Nationals

Los Angeles, CA

Sr Corps called Wayne County Council from Detroit also won in 34-37, 41-42 and Corps from Royal Oak, MI won 38, 39. Dearborn is a Detroit suburb but not sure about Royal Oak. Interesting that three MI corps won all those years.

Jr Post 1524 also won in 1939

PS - Know the feeling, while back bought a small pin that says "On to Detroit - Malden Drum & Bugle Corps" and had problems tracking that down.

Unfortunately the VFW Ditched all their info after DCI was formed. Total Tragedy. If memory serves me right , at that time period I "think" there was a corps from Memphis , and also there was a Band competition that went on into possibly the early 60's (I think). I know the High School Band from Elizabethton Tn was usually there (Thats how they migrated to the Presidents)......One of the Drummers turned out to be our Director in 1961. BTW Gary give me a shout , cause we have to see what "fixes" need to be done to the drums and carriers.

-Bill

I was going to look when I saw your earlier post on it and forgot. :worthy:

1940 VFW Nationals

Los Angeles, CA

Royal Oak is a northern suburb of Detroit. It was the hometown of the Detroit Edison Lamplighters, AL Post 187.

Royal Oak is a northern suburb of Detroit. It was the hometown of the Detroit Edison Lamplighters, AL Post 187.

A great Sr corps from before my time.. thanks.

Hey Jim,

I really appreciate your help. I am getting conflicting reports on all the searches that I did. Do me a favor....

1. Do a 'Google' search for VFW National Championships 1940.

2. Scroll to the bottom of the first page and click on

1940 Winning Corps' Home-Coining to be memorable Hartford Courant

What do you make of that?

I am thinking maybe a connection to the Conneticut Hurricanes, Marksmen, or Skyliners.

Edited by PresDrummer

Hey Jim,

I really appreciate your help. I am getting conflicting reports on all the searches that I did. Do me a favor....

1. Do a 'Google' search for VFW National Championships 1940.

2. Scroll to the bottom of the first page and click on

1940 Winning Corps' Home-Coining to be memorable Hartford Courant

What do you make of that?

I am thinking maybe a connection to the Conneticut Hurricanes, Marksmen, or Skyliners.

Not the Marksmen.......They came much much later. I had many friends in that corps and visited them after the VFW Nats in 66 and 67. I remember them from 61 in Miami when I played Cymbals. They actually were not that old of a corps. Great people.

-Bill

And think Hurrcs were a fife and drum corps until early 1950s.

Finally remembered a good site for old corps www.dbcna.com and did some checking.

Witch City VFW Post 1524 / VFW Junior National Champions: 1939 & 1940 Salem, MA

No listing for Dearborn #1494... must have slipped thru the cracks.

No problem on the help, after I started doing corps again I got really interest in DC history before my time. Being with a corps that has roots going back to 1920 and playing with some people from the 50s/60s helped too. :)

If I remember right (big if) there were two classes in the VFW in the 1950s, Open and Closed. Someone told me that Closed corps were all vets or VFW members and Open was different. Noticed the article had the CT corps as the Open winners and wondering if the the same thing applied in 1940s.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Royal Oak, Michigan. Wasn't that the home town of the junior Iron Brigade? I competed against them in the mid 70's.