When Drum Corps Ruled the World!

I just pulled out my DCI and DCA recordings from that year. It seems that i listen to that year the most. There isn't one corps in the collection that I pass over. Although I usually go to Madison, SCV or BD first, I'm just as happy with Black Knights, Saints (not top twelve but part of the collection) or Etibicoke!

On the Senior side I'll cue up Skyliners more than any other recording I have. But throw in any of them and I am one happy camper. I'm sure it helps that I marched DCI that year and saw many of the corps and marched against them. And coming from a Drum Corps family, I grew up listening to Senior corps that were gone by the time I marched(Ballantine Brewers anyone?).

Anyway what was the year for you.................

WHEN DRUM CORPS RULED THE WORLD!

Edited by iamnivtop

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1971 - Troopers, Anaheim, 27th, St. Rita's and a host of others. Sat on back sidelines for CYO Nationals and got blown away.

1975 - World Open - seats improved to the 50. Blue Devils, Muchachos, 27th. Saw Madison that year also. OMG

1980 - Birmingham. Upper deck 40 yard line. ENTIRE top 12 was incredible. Bridgemen, Spirit, 27th especially.

1971 (my first year as a marching member) and every season since!

My first season was 1970, but what really did it for me was 1972. We went to our first US Open. Before we got there we did a show in Bellefontaine, OH and I saw the Beverly Cardinals and thought they were dynamite. Then we got to Marion and it was all over. Seeing Anaheim Kingsmen, 27th Lancers, Blue Rock, Kilties, Bridgemen (St. Andrews), Des Plaines Vanguard, Garfield (remember War and Peace), Bleu Raeders, DeLasalle Oaklands, Blessed Sac, Racine Scouts, Purple Lancers, etc.

1973 was great too with....some of those above and Black Knights, Polish Falcon Cadets (did you have to be Polish to be a member?), Argonne (YEAH!), Royal Crusaders, Toronto Optimists and the new up and coming corps the Phantom Regiment.

Yeah, Keith - those years were my favorites, too. 1970 through '73 were when Drum Corps was the world for us in St. Rita's Brassmen. We seemed to get better every year and marching against the giants such as those you mentioned and others. We tied the Kingsmen at the World Open and that's pretty much the highlight of my Drum Corps life. CYO Nationals were great shows, too those years.

Those were the years that many corps began traveling from coast to coast and there was great parody among the shows and those corps' abilities.

I want to go back right now!

G

Yep, gotta go with 1975...

First full season competing in Senior corps so got to see a lot first hand. Like seeing Sky, Buccs, Cabs going to DCA Finals all with a legitimate shot to win. Throw in a monsoon during Finals which meant all three corps had to march on a wet field. Add in each corps winning one caption and it was one of the tightest races ever. Sky won but think they didn't win their first show against Cabs until the last month or so at Dream. And full season meant a show every weekend from Memorial Day until Labor Day. :)

First year of DCI full PBS telecast in my home area. First corps on the tube was Troopers who I saw in exhibition live the year before.

PS - Think I have '64 Brewers recording at home. Good sound for a "less than famous" corps.

Edit: Forgot that 1975 DCA Retreat was.... well there really wasn't a retreat due to the Rochester Monsoon. :doh: First announced as "Drum Majors only" and ended up as scorres being announced to an empty field during a downpour. Wild part was hardly anyone left because no one could guess who would win. Plus there were a bunch of corps members milling around in pieces of unis and/or corps jackets. A very surreal scene to a guy who turned 18 just a few weeks before.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Anyway what was the year for you.................

1974!

I loved everyone I saw that year, but especially Madison, SCV and of course the Muchachos!