How much higher can fees go?

My total out-of pocket cost for The Cadets in 2006 was around $4500. Of course, that included travel to camps. But yea, drum corps is expensive. I feel like a lot of talented people don't march because the cost, plus not being able to do anything else all summer, is too much, and I can't blame them. I mean, as just one example, you can go to some pretty prestigious summer music programs for that kind of cash, and you will improve on your instrument and learn a lot more about music there than in a drum corps. That's not going to be a popular statement here on DCP, and I know people are going to talk about how musical drum corps is and what great teachers are there, but I'm gonna stand by that statement. For a lot of people, doing that makes a lot more sense, personally and career-wise, than what the majority of the world (and a majority of the music world) considers summer marching band. Which it basically is. Don't get me wrong, I like drum corps. I marched for three years. But contrary to what some people say, it's not always the best choice for people.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My total out-of pocket cost for The Cadets in 2006 was around $4500. Of course, that included travel to camps. But yea, drum corps is expensive. I feel like a lot of talented people don't march because the cost, plus not being able to do anything else all summer, is too much, and I can't blame them. I mean, as just one example, you can go to some pretty prestigious summer music programs for that kind of cash, and you will improve on your instrument and learn a lot more about music there than in a drum corps. That's not going to be a popular statement here on DCP, and I know people are going to talk about how musical drum corps is and what great teachers are there, but I'm gonna stand by that statement. For a lot of people, doing that makes a lot more sense, personally and career-wise, than what the majority of the world (and a majority of the music world) considers summer marching band. Which it basically is. Don't get me wrong, I like drum corps. I marched for three years. But contrary to what some people say, it's not always the best choice for people.

Nothing makes it more obvious that that drum corps is aimed at a completely different demographic than it was 30 years ago. There still might be some div3 or parade corps w/ 'get the kids off the street mission', but for better or worse, those days are gone.

So the corps gets around 700,000.00 from the members, but the members get something even better. A summer of long hours, gym floors, bus rides, bee stings, sunburns, in some cases BOO'D at, wonderfull meals on the road, shafted by that one judge, instructors changing everything before you can learn the old way, heat exhaustion, athletes foot, injuries, and ..........the memories..... those are priceless......

A buddy of mine and I were talking about this the other day. This guy is, without a doubt, good enough to join the ranks of a World Class Division corps (and this comment came from two men who actually MARCHED world class division corps). He wants to join, but those cost...man, that's insane.

Plus camp fees are going up due to rising housing costs at schools..such is life, he better get scholarships for college or I might have to kill him after this plus $1000 to 1300 H.S. marching band dues per year

Casaba, don't worry, he's good enough to get a scholarship! :blink:

And I can honestly tell you, we will not miss paying band dues next year! :P

:blink: that was 30 yrs ago! :blink:

I was gunna say how cheap it was to march Madison, but then I remembered I aged out 21 years ago!

gettin old sux

You are so right! Gettin old DOES suck. However, to quote my brother, "it's better than the alternative!"

Nothing makes it more obvious that that drum corps is aimed at a completely different demographic than it was 30 years ago. There still might be some div3 or parade corps w/ 'get the kids off the street mission', but for better or worse, those days are gone.

There's going to be a Wine and Cheese Party at the next Allentown