Best Drill Writer

Best Drill Writer  

450 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite drill writer?

• Jay Murphy (Blue Devils 2007)
    • Jeff Sacktig (The Cadets 2007)
    • Michael Gaines (The Cavaliers 2007)
    • Jamey Thompson (Phantom Regiment 2007)
    • Pete Weber (Santa Clara Vanguard 2007)
    • Leon May (Carolina Crown 2007)
    • Mitch Rogers (Bluecoats 2007)
    • Rob Billings (Blue Knights 2007)
    • Brian Murphy (Boston Crusaders 2007)
    • Jeremy Hunt (Colts 2007)
    • Alan Mueggenborg (Glassmen 2007)
    • Chad Hannah and Randy Nelson (Spirit from JSU 2007)

Who is your favorite drill writer?

I would have to say mine is Michael Gaines, with Pete Weber following as a CLOSE second...

Who is your favorite drill writer?

I would have to say mine is Michael Gaines, with Pete Weber following as a CLOSE second...

Two Cavaliers products! Splooie!

Obviously, this thread is for 2007. What about all-time? I'd have to vote for Steve Brubaker, there.

Two Cavaliers products! Splooie!

Obviously, this thread is for 2007. What about all-time? I'd have to vote for Steve Brubaker, there.

It was just easier to make a poll with the drill writers from 2007. If I did all-time, that would have been one heck of a poll.... Who did Steve Brubaker write for?

It was just easier to make a poll with the drill writers from 2007. If I did all-time, that would have been one heck of a poll.... Who did Steve Brubaker write for?

Not to be a broken record: The Cavaliers. From around 1982-92. Responsible for what he called "intersected form manipulation," the rapid spinning and merging and diverging of geometric shapes -- a nice bridge between the Cavaliers' "Green Machine" past, with military formations, and DCI's freewheeling future. The Snake -- a version of The Dragon -- was one of Steve's instantly-recognizable designs. And he headed up the three-time Cavaliers' winter guard champions from 1981-83: their Rock show, followed by the Jets, followed by Bond. A Hall-of-Famer. :beer:

It is a question that can be debated in this thread, along with voting in your '07 poll: who would be on a list of the greatest drill writers of all time. George Zingali, for sure. Pete Emmons. And... ?

Edited by ColtFoutz

My all time favorite drill writer was Pete Emmons, especially 1980...

But to keep it on topic - Pete Weber!!!

I would like to say though Gains has written some of my favorite winter guard shows, his drill for drum corps is getting a bit redundant for me. I would like something new, that does not mean he is not one of the best, just old hat.

Best: George Z and I loved Steve Brubakers take on geometry!

jamey thompson!

I would like to say though Gains has written some of my favorite winter guard shows, his drill for drum corps is getting a bit redundant for me. I would like something new, that does not mean he is not one of the best, just old hat.

couldn't agree more

I would like to say though Gains has written some of my favorite winter guard shows, his drill for drum corps is getting a bit redundant for me.

I feel the same way. As odd as it might sound, Gaines has been so good for so many years, IMO, the novelty of his drills is wearing off and other writers (like Weber, for whom I voted) have stepped-up their games with drills that have a fresher look and feel to them. I'm not taking away anything from Gaines -- his drills are incredible, but they are just becoming redundant for me.