Best Drill Writer

Best Drill Writer  

450 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite drill writer?

• Jay Murphy (Blue Devils 2007)
    • Jeff Sacktig (The Cadets 2007)
    • Michael Gaines (The Cavaliers 2007)
    • Jamey Thompson (Phantom Regiment 2007)
    • Pete Weber (Santa Clara Vanguard 2007)
    • Leon May (Carolina Crown 2007)
    • Mitch Rogers (Bluecoats 2007)
    • Rob Billings (Blue Knights 2007)
    • Brian Murphy (Boston Crusaders 2007)
    • Jeremy Hunt (Colts 2007)
    • Alan Mueggenborg (Glassmen 2007)
    • Chad Hannah and Randy Nelson (Spirit from JSU 2007)

"Best Ever":

Although this thread seems to be centered on recent "Field Phenoms", it is great to see the likes of Zingali and Emmons remembered and included. Going back a bit farther we include Mickey Petrone (St Vincents Cadets), who actually INVENTED junior "Drum Corps Drill", the "Franks" Kubinak & Fisher of Blessed Sacrament & St Kevins Emerald Knights, Lenny Picarski (Chicago Cavaliers), and the late great Jim Jones who re-invented drum corps marching with the Casper Troopers.

Elphaba

Back when they did it all on graph paper and transperencies...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GthB3Azanwo

There are more if you look beneath the surface...can anyone see the Kingsmen/Rockford file in there?

:beer:

Edited by Tansea

I voted for Jeremy Hunt (Colts) ... but that's just b/c I "taught him everything I know" when I was one of his HS marching band instructors back in the mid-90s ... and I convinced him to march Bluecoats rather than any other corps, which helped him get started with his "connections" on his way up the ladder ...

So basically, it's like voting for myself!!! :worthy:

Michael Gaines drill is very intriguing with things happening in the blink of an eye. I enjoy watching his transitions and how he moves from form to form with such ease.

Marc Sylvester's drill is what I look at for its logic and attention to detail. He really creates a picture, it is as if he brings art to the field.

These two designers are my top 2 designers, and I get inspired by watching both of their designing methods.

not an option to vote, but whoever wrote the Troopers drill should get a shout out! because that was some equally impressive writing IMO. As far as this list, Jeff Sacktig hands down!! also Pete Weber....now if only SCV could clean his amazing drill than you might see them back in the top 2. :worthy:

Marc Sylvester's drill is what I look at for its logic and attention to detail. He really creates a picture, it is as if he brings art to the field.

i voted jeff sacktig, i really think he pushes the envelope every year, trying to come up with new moves and lead the cadets to tradition - to innovation, he makes the cadets move, with him anything is possible, the cadets have the most difficult technique and some of the most diffcult drill moves, and they excute it

i know marc sylvester is an amazing visual instuctor, but in reguard to ur post you do know the jeff has written the drill for the cadets since 95

Being an old schooler, I'd like to post my vote for Ralph Pace...Loved those mass rotations!