Best Drill Writer

Best Drill Writer  

450 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite drill writer?

• Jay Murphy (Blue Devils 2007)
    • Jeff Sacktig (The Cadets 2007)
    • Michael Gaines (The Cavaliers 2007)
    • Jamey Thompson (Phantom Regiment 2007)
    • Pete Weber (Santa Clara Vanguard 2007)
    • Leon May (Carolina Crown 2007)
    • Mitch Rogers (Bluecoats 2007)
    • Rob Billings (Blue Knights 2007)
    • Brian Murphy (Boston Crusaders 2007)
    • Jeremy Hunt (Colts 2007)
    • Alan Mueggenborg (Glassmen 2007)
    • Chad Hannah and Randy Nelson (Spirit from JSU 2007)

I love watching the progression.

Pete Emmons to:

George Zingali to Mark Sylvester to Jon VanderKoff and Jeff Saktig. My personal favorites.

I also love Steve Brubaker to Michael Gaines. A different kind of product but also great.

But even before all that, A.R. Casovant drills were amazing for the time and opened the door for the new stuff. If I'm not mistaken, that link earlier in this thread to the video of SCV '71 looks like a Casovant style drill. It's great stuff still being used today by Big 10 style bands.

Jay Murphy writes drill for my high school :)

Jay is my favorite staff member ever :)

I love watching the progression.

Pete Emmons to:

George Zingali to Mark Sylvester to Jon VanderKoff and Jeff Saktig. My personal favorites.

I also love Steve Brubaker to Michael Gaines. A different kind of product but also great.

But even before all that, A.R. Casovant drills were amazing for the time and opened the door for the new stuff. If I'm not mistaken, that link earlier in this thread to the video of SCV '71 looks like a Casovant style drill. It's great stuff still being used today by Big 10 style bands.

you know, Gaines was (correct me if I'm wrong) trained by Brubaker and I think also Greg Polacki?

Another angle to consider: who wrote the single best drill of all time versus who is the writer who consistently wrote high quality drills over a career.

Best drill of all time should cover period contexts of the standard drill/visual evaluation criteria: Originality, sophistication, presentation of elements, interpretation, etc. So, one needs to consider ground breaking effects such as Trooper's Sunburst, or Cadet's z-pull, in the context of how it impacted their era.

So with a conversational push in the single greatest ever, I submit several: Pace 75 Lancer's; Emmon's 80 SCV, Zingali 84 Cadets and then I will let those better suited to discuss the last 20 years....

Sacktig wins hands down for 2007. No one else came close.

All-time I'd say Zingali and Sacktig. As others have mentioned, Madison 92 was some pretty great drill. If it's true that he wrote 89 as well, he deserves props for that too. I thought the opening was one of the more interesting visual ideas from that era.

Edited by TSRTS13