Cadets Hornlines

RaiderLex

I would say 2001 was the Cadets best hornline they have ever fielded, and they were robbed of the high brass trophy.

word.....2001 rocked and they should have won high brass, IMO.

ive got 93, 87, 00, 95-97 up there too. Loved 99 a lot as well.

As a former Bones member, maybe I shouldnt add my favorite expression about the Cadets, j/k

2000 is my fav of their hornlines. I liked '95 and '98's hornlines as well

but when I think of the Cadets I think of "On A Hymnsong of Phillip Bliss" in'93 I love that Mello line as simple as it is.

So if you heard better ones, would you at least bother to say which ones they are?!

both 1999 and 2001 had, IMO, better hornlines than 2000. I'll agree with the others that voted for 2001. 1998 was a very good line, but I also compare that show to a late Star show.

1984 -- they had that "sound".

1990 -- took a long time to get there, but it was worth the wait. Technically superior, great balance, and so exposed.

1994/1995 -- excellent balance, excellent power, great intonation.

They've been good since, with moments that rival anyone, but these are lines that consistently stood out to my ears as great all during the show.

:rolleyes:

This is hard. I want to say 83 because they just did stuff that nobody thought was possible. Marching so smoothly to 7/8 at that tempo? Those mello runs? Playing during the Z-pull? Barbara Maroney? What the???? I can't wait for Rocky Point Holiday this year (I REALLY CAN'T), but I don't know how the kids this year are going to match up to the '83 Cadets. I don't know how many other shows from the 80's I would say today's corps would have trouble performing.

Of course, 84. Duh. As a baritone player, one of my all-time favorite bari licks is the 8 bars in the middle of America where the baris trade bar-for-bar with the percussion. Barbara Maroney again. Z-pull again. The swing shout section duing America. Yeah.

85 - My Favorite Cadets Show Ever. Probably because we had about 5 shows on 2nd tour with them so I got to see them a lot and the show just grew on me. That ballad in the middle of the 85 show just rips your heart out, and they performed it so well. Dynamics. Attacks. RELEASES! Wow. What meter IS that opener in? How the #### do you march and play that and sound like you were born doing it?

They've had awesome horn lines since then, but most years just don't move me like those 3 years did, probably due mostly to the fact that I was falling in love with drum corps back then. Memories from when you're falling in love are always the best.