Who do you prefer to watch in the lot?

Which section?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one already!

• Hornline
    • Drumline
    • Guard

I seriously doubt that Cadets or BD would vote out warming up. I don't think the results of going hours without playing and then starting the show cold would be very pleasant.

You mistook me. I am saying doing away with warming up in the lot. Warm up on the field prior to the show. Corps used to be able to play the corps song or another great blast from the past as a warm up and get the crowd going all at the same time.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mistook me. I am saying doing away with warming up in the lot. Warm up on the field prior to the show. Corps used to be able to play the corps song or another great blast from the past as a warm up and get the crowd going all at the same time.

There is a small problem with that idea...

It's called tuning 64+ horns.

Also, corps are still allowed to warm up on the field, they just choose not to.

It's called tuning 64+ horns.

Why would that be hard, say, in the back field? Isn't that what tuning exercises were made for? Because I hope no one thinks that going around with a tuner for 30 minutes is a good idea... :grrr:

Why would that be hard, say, in the back field? Isn't that what tuning exercises were made for? Because I hope no one thinks that going around with a tuner for 30 minutes is a good idea... :grrr:

2 minutes is not enough time to fully warm up and tune. It is barely enough time to get the horns up to playing temperature to even begin thinking about tuning.

I HATE the lot. It's a warm up area. People don't get super excited about a basketball player shooting his pre-game. I just have never cared about the lot and to me it's always seemed silly that people miss the beginnings of show because they just HAVE to see how the Phantom tenor line is playing a double beat excersise this year. I just have never got it. I seem to be heavily outvoted, but I don't care how good a section of a corps is with the drums on stands or not moving. Can you bring it when it actually matters?

However, I do enjoy hearing some hornlines that use corps songs as a hype blasting away before big shows. I know I can personally thank Spirit for their finals day warm up of Georgia. I was unloading the truck and I stopped and just listened. Got my head on for me.

You must not have watched BD's battery warm up do yourself a favor and check em out ! Also not enough people give the Glassmen praise and their percussion section is really great ! I just love that bass drum section those young men were just amazing their execution & musicality were absolutly stellar in " 07 " ! :worthy::grrr::grrr::grrr:

• 1 year later...
I HATE the lot. It's a warm up area. People don't get super excited about a basketball player shooting his pre-game. I just have never cared about the lot and to me it's always seemed silly that people miss the beginnings of show because they just HAVE to see how the Phantom tenor line is playing a double beat excersise this year. I just have never got it. I seem to be heavily outvoted, but I don't care how good a section of a corps is with the drums on stands or not moving. Can you bring it when it actually matters?

However, I do enjoy hearing some hornlines that use corps songs as a hype blasting away before big shows. I know I can personally thank Spirit for their finals day warm up of Georgia. I was unloading the truck and I stopped and just listened. Got my head on for me.

Forgive me if I take this a little off course. Basketball warmups: I make it a point every year to attend the high school state championship basketball games not just attend, but arrive early. Especially this year, for unknown reasons, it was emotional for me. A state championship girls pre game -- emotional. "such and such college/university" #1 team in America announcement -- very memorable/emotional for me. Anyway, parents sometimes more than students get all riled up. For the state final games, the season culminates in a great atmosphere. For most players, the state championship game is their last chance to be a star.

Like drum corps, though, players on the teams may not go onto division 1 or professional careers, basketball teams still do drills of which the coordination impresses me. The same is true for drum corps warmup exercises, in general. My favorites in the lot in my years were Star of Indiana's hornline (breathing exercises); BD's tuning exercises, particularly after their slurring, were awesome. I guess there's something to developing a focus necessary for a field show. Oh, I hear past stories of BD's onfield warmup getting standing ovations.

Corps songs/past hits in the lot are great. Not a warmup, I thank the Bluecoats who played/sang? Autumn Leaves in the lot back in the year I aged out. That brought back the memories of the very beginnings of my time following drum corps. My age out year was the 25th anniversary of DCI, so lots of corps performed music that I remembered from various spots in my marching career/time following high school band or drum corps, to name a few, "Night in Tunisia," "God Bless The Child", "Birdland," (very first corps tune I/we performed) "Sunshine," "Crown Imperial"...

btw, I voted hornline warmups. Judging by my mp3 listening habits and how emotional I was at Big Loud and Live, I, too, definitely enjoy the finished product, a whole lot more.

Thank you!

So much of what percussion sections do now is visual so there is more to see in the lot watching the percussion..I don't really get what drummers see in the visual stuff so I get bored pretty quick watching the drumlines.I really get bored quick listening to them so with that said.

Give me the horn lines any day. :happy:

warm ups in the lot are important for the brass. i couldn't imagine going into a show without having at leave a half hour warm-up. Just going on the field and playing a song would not be enough for me. Warm-ups in the lot are needed, they aren't just for show, although some of it is. And to tuning... I know some corps that don't move their slides all summer, they adjust during spring training, and no one touches a slide again, only to clean the horn. I hate that stupid F to Bb crap. It's just annoying, and doesn't achieve all that much. I know people will disagree, but that is their right to do unnecessary tuning exercises. All you need to do is get in that contra sound... YUM.

...nothing quite like space chords and F tuning in the lot