Percussion Judging

Percussion  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Is the percussion caption judged effectively?

• No, leave it the way it is with two judges
    • Yes, the way this caption is being judged needs to change
  2. 2. If so, how would you change it?

• Only one judge, there is no need for a "pOnly 1 judge, there is no need for a "percussion ensemble" judge and the music ensemble judge should take care of the Perc-2 judge's responsibilities
    • The battery and pit are two completely different sections, and each needs its own judge
    • Three judges, a battery, pit, and ensemble judge
    • I voted no on the first question

So personally, I think the percussion judging system needs some revising. The judging currently is based on a system of "reads" as the field judge goes back and forth between the pit and battery. Judges can miss extremely strong or weak moments in the show if they are with the other section of the percussion ensemble and time that could be spent judging is spent running back and forth between the sections. Rarely does a judge split his time between the two sections equally, and will usually spend the majority of his time with one section or the other depending on his or her own percussive background.

Would having two percussion field judges fix the problem, or would it just put unnecessary green shirts on the field? Would adding a second percussion judge lead to adding low brass/high brass judges or weapons/dance/flags judges?

Post your thoughts.

Edit: pretty bad typo in the poll section, it's supposed to be "Only one judge, there is no need for a "percussion ensemble" judge and the music ensemble judge should take care of the Perc-2 judge's responsibilities"

Edited by Imamoonvomit

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for a pit, battery, and ensemble judge, but this likely would be too expensive. I agree though, a lot of times, judges can miss either pretty awesome moments, or pretty crappy moments, which can give a judge a wrong impression.

at first glance, are the "yes" and "no" answers followed by the correct dialogue for the first question? maybe i misread it.

The descriptions corresponding with Yes and No should be switched... I think.

i think so too

It just seems like having a battery, bit, and ensemble judge would be a bit of a waste... what does the battery judge do during ballads or long periods of time when the battery isn't playing?

It just seems like having a battery, bit, and ensemble judge would be a bit of a waste... what does the battery judge do during ballads or long periods of time when the battery isn't playing?

What does a brass judge do during long drum solos like Cadets 06?

Nothing... what does a visual judge do when there's nothing going on visually? The point is, hiring an extra judge to do nothing for 4 minutes of a show seems like a waste. Those other two judges are already on the panel.

In my Opinion it would be better to have 3, yea more money but more effective, I mean i understand where your coming from when you say what does the battery judge do when the arent playing for long periods of time...BUT not all groups have the Battery not playing for long periods of time these days. The judge could miss a great section in the battery because he's listening to the pit or vice versa. Its not something that will hold the activity back if they keep it the way that it is I just think if they change it it will be way more effective and more stuff will get notice whether it be dirt, timing issues, or just straigh up CLEAN haha.

Nothing... what does a visual judge do when there's nothing going on visually? The point is, hiring an extra judge to do nothing for 4 minutes of a show seems like a waste. Those other two judges are already on the panel.

I think if DCI can afford it, it's well worth the extra money. I think a combined opinion (3 rather than 2) puts more credibility in the numbers.