Percussion Judging

Percussion  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Is the percussion caption judged effectively?

• No, leave it the way it is with two judges
    • Yes, the way this caption is being judged needs to change
  2. 2. If so, how would you change it?

• Only one judge, there is no need for a "pOnly 1 judge, there is no need for a "percussion ensemble" judge and the music ensemble judge should take care of the Perc-2 judge's responsibilities
    • The battery and pit are two completely different sections, and each needs its own judge
    • Three judges, a battery, pit, and ensemble judge
    • I voted no on the first question

I don't know of any pit that does that in div I...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take the second percussion judge out of the stands and have field level pit and battery judges. Music ensemble / effect is already covered.

You drum guys are a hoot!!!

The responsibility of the judge is not to hear every note, see every step, its to sample all applicable sections of the corps on a regular, as even as possible, basis. The field percussion judge's task is to sample all the sections (snare, quads, battery, cymbals and front ensemble) as frequently and as throughly as possible. The task is not to hear/evaluate every note, phrase each performer contributes.

Get over it, more judges is never the answer!!!!

There needs to be a battery and front ensemble judge. I know alot of FE (Fron Ensembles) are playing crazy runs when the judge is on the field with the battery. So its like 1 section is really not getting judged while the other is.

The issue of "what will the judge do when the battery isnt playing?" well he can make comments on what they need to improve. I know one year at a competition, we had 2 percussion judges and they split up between Battery and FE and those were the 2 most productive judge tapes I have ever heard, and the battery judge was really able to explain what we need to improve on during the ballad.

Now the issue of cost still remains, but maybe DCI can come up with a solution.

EDIT: cant spell :P

Edited by r3vo

There needs to be a pit judge. Plain and simple. ESPECIALLY for open class, I think, because there is a much greater gap in terms of quality between the great open class pits, the good ones, the decent ones, and the not-so-good ones. In World Class there is much less of a difference.

There needs to be a pit judge. Plain and simple. ESPECIALLY for open class, I think, because there is a much greater gap in terms of quality between the great open class pits, the good ones, the decent ones, and the not-so-good ones. In World Class there is much less of a difference.

If you have one in open then you need one in world also... and wouldnt you think it they are so "close" then wouldnt it be nice to see who is the best?