Percussion Judging

Percussion  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Is the percussion caption judged effectively?

• No, leave it the way it is with two judges
    • Yes, the way this caption is being judged needs to change
  2. 2. If so, how would you change it?

• Only one judge, there is no need for a "pOnly 1 judge, there is no need for a "percussion ensemble" judge and the music ensemble judge should take care of the Perc-2 judge's responsibilities
    • The battery and pit are two completely different sections, and each needs its own judge
    • Three judges, a battery, pit, and ensemble judge
    • I voted no on the first question

Nothing... what does a visual judge do when there's nothing going on visually? The point is, hiring an extra judge to do nothing for 4 minutes of a show seems like a waste. Those other two judges are already on the panel.

You are incorrect.

Brass judges will usually expand on their earlier commentaries on what the brass line has performed.

As long as there are performers performing (even standing still) there are criteria to judge visually (posture/carriage, spacings/alignments, etc.). Plus expansion on earlier observations.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of how good percussion sections are today, I think it is vital that the battery and the pit are both being judged equally at all times. You can't claim to give a fair score when you're not seeing half of the section half of the time. Even when you have a field judge and a box judge, the field judge isn't watching the pit or the battery the whole time, and cannot claim to give a fair score. Sure it can be close, but it can't be exactly fair.

You are incorrect.

Brass judges will usually expand on their earlier commentaries on what the brass line has performed.

As long as there are performers performing (even standing still) there are criteria to judge visually (posture/carriage, spacings/alignments, etc.). Plus expansion on earlier observations.

Silly me with the visual judges comment... that was stupid. But the brass comment stands. I understand that they'd expound on earlier themes, and so would a battery-only percussion judge... it just seems like a waste of money to pay for one more judge on the field when I think they're doing alright right now with two (which is one more than they had all the way back in 2003).

This is really a catch 22 question . DCI in my opinion has got to do something about the screwed up judging system that

they have in place at the current time . DCI needs two full time execution judges one the field at all times judging the

battery and pit and one up in the stands or press box as long their not to high up in the clouds to loose effect . It just

makes sense the pit sections are to big and the poor judge is trying to run around like a chicken with his head cut off going

from the battery which is on one side of the field then back to the pit then on to the other side of the field and so on and

so forth and these judges are doing this for $ 250.00 a show and if it's more it's not much more . Yes I know they make

more for regionals but it's not much more . When in the beginning of 2007 when DCI only had one judge in the stands

I'll tell you as sure as I'm sitting here that there is know way that the judge in those stands no matter where they were

could have adjudicated any percussion section properly . This is the way marching band percussion sections are judged !

I wonder how long it will take the Boomiester to respond to this one ? b**bs

It just seems like having a battery, bit, and ensemble judge would be a bit of a waste... what does the battery judge do during ballads or long periods of time when the battery isn't playing?
We used to call that no playing stuff " Beat the sheet "

I voted no because the same arguments could be applied to other sections. We don't need more judges, just more objectiveness.
You are wrong ! :rock:

We used to call that no playing stuff " Beat the sheet "

I mean... example: do you really think it would've been effective for PR's battery to be banging away during the brass a cappela build at the end of Ave Maria in their '06 show?

DCI already gets a lot of flak from "real musicians" for putting drum parts in places they're really not necessary/effective. I would prefer a battery writer that knows when to have his line tacet for effect over one that tries to ram as many notes as possible in places where they don't make sense. Star '93 is the best example of this... they didn't play the most notes in that show, but they played when it made sense musically, and they played #### well at that... drum corps doesn't have to be notes/loud stuff all the time.

Edited by TSRTS13

This is really a catch 22 question . DCI in my opinion has got to do something about the screwed up judging system that

they have in place at the current time . DCI needs two full time execution judges one the field at all times judging the

battery and pit and one up in the stands or press box as long their not to high up in the clouds to loose effect . It just

makes sense the pit sections are to big and the poor judge is trying to run around like a chicken with his head cut off going

from the battery which is on one side of the field then back to the pit then on to the other side of the field and so on and

so forth and these judges are doing this for $ 250.00 a show and if it's more it's not much more . Yes I know they make

more for regionals but it's not much more . When in the beginning of 2007 when DCI only had one judge in the stands

I'll tell you as sure as I'm sitting here that there is know way that the judge in those stands no matter where they were

could have adjudicated any percussion section properly . This is the way marching band percussion sections are judged !

I wonder how long it will take the Boomiester to respond to this one ? b**bs

FYI -- Judges cost more in travel, by far, than pay.

Only one judge in the stands? Umm... that's hardly accurate.