We used to play the G-F bugles, and complain about the G-D drummers.

Ah yes ... God Forbidden bugles and Greatly Dynamic drummers ... a labor of luv ...

:-)

• Like 1

While most credit Jim Jones with using "8 to 5" first... this gentleman perfected it and brought it to general use...

Actually, 8-to-5 didn't happen universally until we got yardlines.

It was the Chicago Royal Airs in the early 60s - Larry Kazmeric and Dale Peters instructing - who first cut the 30" pace proscribed by FM22-5 to a 24" glide step. This guy did the same thing in my town, we were still marching a 30" step in 1967.

A few corps used about a 27" pace to create the illusion of more velocity.

Nope ... think of Wilma's husband on the Flintstone's ...

:-)

Got it.

I was thinking "####ing good" visuals. LOL. Visuals written by the guy with the FG initials.

I never met him... but I remember his work with both the Brigs and Skyliners.

"Heel and toe, and away we go!"

goodness... I'd love a dime for every time he said that...

and Fran... between Vinnie Ratford in the 50's and this gentleman (and I mean GENTLE MAN - as he really was just that) Brigadiers literally changed the activity... the entire evolution from band formation to squads to curvilinears can be traced through these two gentlemen...

From Ratford's "Carousel" and "Indian Dance" on the field during a time when corps still played military music and did close order (military) drill... to this guys U S on the field during the color pre and large curves to interpret the music - Visually, Brigs were always ahead of the pack... and ahead of the "future"

goodness... I'd love a dime for every time he said that...

and Fran... between Vinnie Ratford in the 50's and this gentleman (and I mean GENTLE MAN - as he really was just that) Brigadiers literally changed the activity... the entire evolution from band formation to squads to curvilinears can be traced through these two gentlemen...

From Ratford's "Carousel" and "Indian Dance" on the field during a time when corps still played military music and did close order (military) drill... to this guys U S on the field during the color pre and large curves to interpret the music - Visually, Brigs were always ahead of the pack... and ahead of the "future"

well i'm gonna spill the beans. he is...........fred " gebby " gebheart.

Edited by donincardona

It took that whole conversation to remember the name you guys have been teasing out. And of course I have been familiar with his work (although never having met him) since the mid-60s.

Made the West Gennie program the watermark for East Coast marching band - in fact made them one of the few bands that drum corps people paid any attention to.

That was worth feeling stupid and forgetful for.

It took that whole conversation to remember the name you guys have been teasing out. And of course I have been familiar with his work (although never having met him) since the mid-60s.

Made the West Gennie program the watermark for East Coast marching band - in fact made them one of the few bands that drum corps people paid any attention to.

That was worth feeling stupid and forgetful for.

lol of course don spelled it wrong Gebhardt

but anyway... you are correct about West Genesee High School and his wildcat west genny color guard... his amazing "silent" guard set the standards for a WGI guards to come... West Genny and Holley Hawks (Vinnie Monacelli) were the standards just before and as WGI was formed...

Of course for West Genny, Gebby would be the first one to give credit to the many others involved including but not limited to Bruce Burritt - a good friend and former horn instructor of Brigs - who was Band Director when they rose to national prominence...

I only witnessed Gebby getting (mildly) POed once, and the guys just looked at each other like "is this cat serious?".

I'm repeating my request for bio material. The only thing I know about his background before the Brigs is that he told me he was once a jarhead. Did he ever play an instrument? Where was he born and raised?

How did he develop his incredible talent?