Andy, Ray, Ray, Don, Fran, Guido...et al:

"...You're a sort of brilliant #### you know that?

No wonder you're a drummer in the Buglers' Hall of Fame.

Actually makes sense?

Right Yogi?
"Makes sense to me!" (R. Fallon)

Saw a pretty good flick last night, "Get On Up".

In one scene, James Brown explaines why horns are actually drums. Very existential, like Yogi,...and Fallon.

Now, will someone please name the drummer in the latest photo, that Amboy Dukester?

• Like 2

Actually makes sense?

Right Yogi?

In one scene, James Brown explaines why horns are actually drums. Very existential, like Yogi,...and Fallon.

Now, will someone please name the drummer in the latest photo, that Amboy Dukester?

Wes Myers

Yogi: Watcha got there?

Fallon: It's a Bb horn ...

Yogi: Yer horn shoots bb's?

Fallon: No ... it's keyed in b flat

Yogi: But it's round

Fallon: No ... No ... B flat ... like the note on the scale

Yogi: My scale has numbers ... reminds me ... I had a bb gun once ...

Fallon: What happened?

Yogi: Shot some kid's eye out ... they made a movie out of it ... you ever hurt anybody with yer horn?

Fallon: Only their ears ...

Yogi: Yeah ... I use Q-tips to clean mine ...

Fallon: Yer ears?

Yogi: No ... my bb gun ... what time is it? ... gettin' dark out ...

Fallon: A little after six ... clocks changed ...

Yogi: Here we go again ... gettin' late early ...

:-)

• Like 3

Actually makes sense?

Right Yogi?

Ginger Baker? (I have only a small list of drummer names to draw from)

Yogi: Watcha got there?

Fallon: It's a Bb horn ...

Yogi: Yer horn shoots bb's?

Fallon: No ... it's keyed in b flat

Yogi: But it's round

Fallon: No ... No ... B flat ... like the note on the scale

Yogi: My scale has numbers ... reminds me ... I had a bb gun once ...

Fallon: What happened?

Yogi: Shot some kid's eye out ... they made a movie out of it ... you ever hurt anybody with yer horn?

Fallon: Only their ears ...

Yogi: Yeah ... I use Q-tips to clean mine ...

Fallon: Yer ears?

Yogi: No ... my bb gun ... what time is it? ... gettin' dark out ...

Fallon: A little after six ... clocks changed ...

Yogi: Here we go again ... gettin' late early ...

:-)

"Rommel, you magnificent ########! I read your book!"

• Like 1

In one scene, James Brown explaines why horns are actually drums.

Like Gus Wilke with Bayonne in '73/'74...

That sop line was laying down paradiddles doubled tongued and patty flaflas (actually I think Patty may have been a mellophone, after she was paroled). Triple tongued singles, Triplet rolls,

they played better snare that year with their horns than some corps played with their drums.

Gotta give it to Gussie.

• Like 2

A little OT here: I used to go on during this week expressing my pride in whatever my kids had accomplished...

Right now most of them have taken a year off - Tammy worked a little with BDB, but didn't do tour, Daniel was on BAC's board of directors, but that was more about raising money. Nancy (who marched 7th for 3 years and Crossmen last year) went to France this summer to sharpen her language skills - yes she missed it. Kevin was busy writing drills for bands and taking care of 4 amazing kids. His wife Melissa, who used to be BD's star guard person, took Meghan to a couple of shows and at 10 there's some interest there. Connor, a hard-core trombone player, thinks he may march somewhere next year when he's the age his dad played in Crossmen the first time. My 24 year old, Emma will never be a drum corps chick. You may see her playing guitar and singing in a bar somewhere and think, "wow, she's pretty good" but you would never say "What's that drum corps chick doing singing in a folk music club?" It just wasn't for her. She likes it - she thinks drum corps are "pretty".

But this year is about Raymond. Fish can tell you how tough it is to build a corps in Connecticut - I won't go into all the rants about money and options etc. When he got to 7th Regiment a few years ago they were an Open Class non-finalist. Tonight they've finished 5th, lower than he had aspired to, but 3rd in music, his area.

The kid is the real deal - and that corps has progressed on a curve that shows growth, stability, loyalty of members, solid treatment of kids by staff. Yes, like most OC corps they lose members to the big guys each year. It happens - they also age out some members each year.

This year's show, Nievsky, from Prokofiev's "Alexander Nievsky" movie score was incredibly aggressive - we argued about doing it for a show at Boston but it was very symphonic, very difficult, and demanded a huge sound.

I don't know if this is Ray's last year with 7th. He doesn't tell me everything any more (last time was probably when he was 9 years old and a Phillies' fan). But I think he has inspired some young players in CT and I believe he has helped the Surfers' organization build themselves a solid drum corps in CT, something that has been deemed impossible by folks smarter than I.

Sound like I'm proud of him? You bet. The rest of them too, but this was a big year for Ray - he essentially walked away from everything else in his life to do this year's corps - he's been like a 7th Regimental hermit. I neither approve nor disapprove of that kind of decision, beyond acknowledging that it takes a pretty solid (like cast iron) set, which he has never lacked.

I hope he's happy with the results, and at peace with himself for the decisions he made.

And I hope he knows how proud of him I am. He put the kids first. Every corps says they do that, but I believe 100% that that is his motivation - to inspire the kids to work as a team to produce great music.

Ray Fallon Jr - arguably the best brass guy that Connecticut has ever seen. Wish Jumpin Joe were around to join the argument.

Nice job, kid. Proud of you.

Edited by rayfallon
  • Like 6

he did great work. thats a good little corps!

• Like 1